Occasional Contributor

Re: Shipping cost increasing?

Long time QVC customer, don't post a lot but read blogs regularly and I just had to tell the crazy shipping cost recently.  I couldn't find a hairspray I use Ogix so I was placing a order on Amazon and ordered two, I have occasionally in the past ordered this.  Went to check out and looked at my total and thought I didn't order that much, looking over the order the hairspray shipping cost was one hundred dollars.  Wow! Deleted them out.  Do t know why, a mistake?  I did find hairspray at Giant supermarket on sale days later.

Regular Contributor

I saw a bath towel presentation yesterday with s/h of 7.50
Occasional Contributor

I agree. Over the weekend when they had their fashion 360, a really cute dress came on and the shipping was $10.57!  That's the way to get me to NOT purchase something!  

Super Contributor

It used to be that just shoes that were $5.50 to ship!  I have cut back on QVC, but that may make me cut it out completely!

Esteemed Contributor

@nycalady @that is so not true

Valued Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Shipping costs are a very large reason why I stopped selling on eBay.  Shippling costs for a seller are outrageous (we can't get a break on the costs from the post office because we don't sell in bulk).... Ebay encourages the sellers to give free shipping.... but at the post office prices we can't.  I used to give a break to the buyer and instead of charging the full price for the shipping, I'd only charge half price.  But here's the rub.... the buyers wanted the free shipping and think we make a fortune selling.  Sometimes I'd sell something and only break even.  I'd do it simply to turn the stuff around so I could find new and maybe more interesting things.

I've been selling since 2003.  I stopped in 2019 when we moved. 

I'm sure QVC gets a huge break from the post office for bulk mail.   

QVC can't ship our purchases Bulk Mail. To qualify for Bulk Mail rate, every item sent must be the same item. The sender must presort and package by zip code.The sender must ship all items at the same time. Bulk Mail is usually reserved for marketing campaigns, newsletters or a letter sent to a mailing list. 

Valued Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@nycalady @that is so not true

I agree @Teddixat. Free shipping = price increase. 

Nothing is free! 

Respected Contributor

@Starliteshine wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Shipping costs are a very large reason why I stopped selling on eBay.  Shippling costs for a seller are outrageous (we can't get a break on the costs from the post office because we don't sell in bulk).... Ebay encourages the sellers to give free shipping.... but at the post office prices we can't.  I used to give a break to the buyer and instead of charging the full price for the shipping, I'd only charge half price.  But here's the rub.... the buyers wanted the free shipping and think we make a fortune selling.  Sometimes I'd sell something and only break even.  I'd do it simply to turn the stuff around so I could find new and maybe more interesting things.

QVC can't ship our purchases Bulk Mail. To qualify for Bulk Mail rate, every item sent must be the same item. The sender must presort and package by zip code.The sender must ship all items at the same time. Bulk Mail is usually reserved for marketing campaigns, newsletters or a letter sent to a mailing list. 

@Starliteshine I don't think that's what she meant. I used to work for a large corporation and saw the shipping bills. I did a comparison and something that cost $15 for a regular shipping customer ended up costing us THREE dollars. That's quite a big discount. 

Super Contributor

Shipping is a big reason I don't buy as much on QVC. Their prices are another.

Too many other online retailers offer free shipping or free shipping with a certain purchsse amount.  I've been purchasing clothing for years from Loft, Macy's, Boscov's, Land's End, etc and have never paid for shipping. I just purchased a beautiful outdoor fountain from Boscov's and it shipped for free.   

Super Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@Starliteshine wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Starliteshine I don't think that's what she meant. I used to work for a large corporation and saw the shipping bills. I did a comparison and something that cost $15 for a regular shipping customer ended up costing us THREE dollars. That's quite a big discount. 

@santorini Yep. Spot on, totally agree! However, per usual probably no one will be on board with this comparison lol 😆 I'm sure QVC is enough of a big corporation to get some sort of discount that you and I, the average person, can't get. I'm definitely seeing less and less $3.50 shipping now on QVC.