Valued Contributor

@65and fabulous wrote:

So, the Diamonique......about 20 years ago, when this line was really popular and QVC had outlet stores, I visited one and actually saw lots of the Diamonique jewelry. I was shocked, because it was obviously fake; did not look anything like real diamonds. More like glass.  Yet women were lined up to buy it! 

Oh, well.  Does anyone know if the Judith Ripka Diamonique is better quality?

I'm pretty sure all Diamonique is the same grade ~ so it's no better, just pricier. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tennpal15 wrote:

@65and fabulous wrote:

So, the Diamonique......about 20 years ago, when this line was really popular and QVC had outlet stores, I visited one and actually saw lots of the Diamonique jewelry. I was shocked, because it was obviously fake; did not look anything like real diamonds. More like glass.  Yet women were lined up to buy it! 

Oh, well.  Does anyone know if the Judith Ripka Diamonique is better quality?

I'm pretty sure all Diamonique is the same grade ~ so it's no better, just pricier. 

The settings make the piece pricer on QVC. Twenty years ago, a buyer could actually receive a decent setting in 14K. Today's stuff looks cheap, thin and seldom has an undergallery. The items that are plated are junk jewelry compared to what QVC formerly offered back in the day! I never bought Diamonique, but the shows were FUN to watch and the designs were lovely in many shows.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

I don't care for the 100 facet Diamonique rings.  To me they look like glass and so fake looking but that's my humble opinion.

Valued Contributor

I think it's because she does not wear jewelry or like to wear it and so has no level of expertise.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden My parents owned a jewelry store many years ago.  Funny story - he gave my mother lovely diamond earrings for her birthday.  Years later when she passed I took one (her dog ate the other) to be appraised and it turned out to be CZ.  Fooled my mother, fooled me.  So yes, there are indeed different grades.  

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Did your mother take those earrings somewhere to be cleaned?  I've heard of jewelers switching out the diamonds.

I have a friend that had her sleazy husband take her engagement ring to appraised supposedly.  After their divorce she found out he had sold the diamond and had it replaced with cz.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV No, never  took it anywhere else.  I really think it was my Dad with his sense of humor trying to see if she could tell the difference.  She was never the wiser, nor was I.  I do remember how upset she was when she claimed her dog ate one but she refused to check any evidence lol.  

Honored Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@MoJoV No, never  took it anywhere else.  I really think it was my Dad with his sense of humor trying to see if she could tell the difference.  She was never the wiser, nor was I.  I do remember how upset she was when she claimed her dog ate one but she refused to check any evidence lol.  

@chlema  - Your story backs up my theory that most people can't tell the difference between a CZ and a real diamond.  Maybe if you get a magnifying glass and study them next to each other you could tell.  The average person cannot tell the difference.  Same thing as 10k and 14k.  Can't tell the difference. 

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal Back when CZ first came out my father was amazed that he couldn't tell the difference  until he looked with his loop.