Honored Contributor

Wow the nastiness spewed in this tread is unbelievable.

A difference of opinions are one thing and acceptable but dont try to justify some of these comments with it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor
"You could walk all over Europe in these shoes," is puffing.

"These shoes will last ten years," is a lie

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@chrystaltree 

QVC may think she keeps people watching , but for me  a definite channel changer as she  never gets the colors right and never lets the Reps talk . The camera is taken off the models while they model and the camera is parked 2 inches from her face  and those goofy glasses .

Fashion icon, I think Not

You may change the channel, but she and JT ( the only host I don't watch) are BIG sellers.

As is DV. All 3 are featured multiple times a week in  Prime Time. That isn't just coincidence.They are moving a lot of products.

Trusted Contributor

@amyb wrote:

With all due respect to the article...that's no big sales secret.

Funny too...was just recently listening to an interview with Gene Simmons, biggest salesman in rock...he's merchandised everything from Kiss (shall we say "male birth control) to Kiss coffins! 

He said something to the effect: "It's not the vacuum cleaner that sells, it's the salesman selling it."

On Q...I've heard other sales people in the past talk about how their job is to "wax poetic" and "romance" the items...feed the viewers' emotions. The vendors are there to describe the product details, benefits etc. The "waxing poetic" must work for them, because lately they all do more of that than actually giving important info on the products.

Jill B., whether or not you're a fan...was great at the latter...tho' some people find her "stern", "school marmy." Personally, I was always glad when she was on; I knew she'd be covering the details I was wondering about. 

Anyhoo, Shawn's a "scenario teller.." alright...ever hear her Isaac "stories?" "So....you're walking the streets of Italy, perhaps you're stopping for some hazelnut gelato.. and instead of sporting some "comfort" athletic sneakers, that scream "American tourist among us!"....you have on these stylish faux suede loafers..."

I've met Gene a few times. His marketing director was a friend. Anyway, Gene is such a natural marketer, I'm not a KISS fan, but I could easily see why he and Paul win so many people over. Same goes with Shawn.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrels Are Trash wrote:

@amyb wrote:

With all due respect to the article...that's no big sales secret.

Funny too...was just recently listening to an interview with Gene Simmons, biggest salesman in rock...he's merchandised everything from Kiss (shall we say "male birth control) to Kiss coffins! 

He said something to the effect: "It's not the vacuum cleaner that sells, it's the salesman selling it."

On Q...I've heard other sales people in the past talk about how their job is to "wax poetic" and "romance" the items...feed the viewers' emotions. The vendors are there to describe the product details, benefits etc. The "waxing poetic" must work for them, because lately they all do more of that than actually giving important info on the products.

Jill B., whether or not you're a fan...was great at the latter...tho' some people find her "stern", "school marmy." Personally, I was always glad when she was on; I knew she'd be covering the details I was wondering about. 

Anyhoo, Shawn's a "scenario teller.." alright...ever hear her Isaac "stories?" "So....you're walking the streets of Italy, perhaps you're stopping for some hazelnut gelato.. and instead of sporting some "comfort" athletic sneakers, that scream "American tourist among us!"....you have on these stylish faux suede loafers..."

I've met Gene a few times. His marketing director was a friend. Anyway, Gene is such a natural marketer, I'm not a KISS fan, but I could easily see why he and Paul win so many people over. Same goes with Shawn.

The one host that could sell me anything was Lisa Mason.  Now she was a great storyteller.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie    It's hardly unbelievable,  it happens daily several hundred times a day.

Valued Contributor

No big surprise this thread went in the toilet. 🙄🙄🙄

Regular Contributor
I wish I had could see the paper. Where the article is placed tells you a lot. This doesn't sound like journalism, but rather a profile, arranged by the paper and QVC's PR department.

Also, and I don't know if the Times (or the Times "magazine" if they still so that. That makes a difference. Or, it an "advertorial" with "paid for by QVC in tiny,tiny print
Respected Contributor

Shawn was on the Apprentice spin off with Martha Stewart.

She was booted off in episode 3. I believe Bethany Frankel was also on that show. 

Trusted Contributor

It's all Bravo Sierra.