Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I would like to say why I feel the way I do.  Today, more than ever, I see women scrutinizing other women ad nauseum.  I think we have all been guilty of it at one time or another. I know I have done it a few times in my life and I am not proud of myself when I do.  Something always checks me or reigns me in when I do.

We talk about men putting women down when, actually, it seems to me women do it more. Maybe a certain host is not your favorite. I like some better than others myself.  To me the scrutiny has become critical and unkind. If it's not Shawn, it's another host.  If you have a gripe against a host and it really upsets you to the point you can no longer watch.... there are options other than coming to these forums and criticizing someone literally from head to toe. There is no justification for that.  Not for me....not for you.

Such a perceptive post, @jubilant.     I think that gets to the heart of the matter.   It's a pervasive and disheartening trend.   The criticisms have morphed into pretty clear representations of the people posting them rather than informing us about the people they claim to "help" with the (usualy personal) dissecting and disparaging comments.   Slicing and dicing, and seeming to have a good time doing so.  "Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit — the parallel powers of your heart and mind — better than how you give feedback."  (Maria Popova, writer and critic)   There's a way to provide actual constructive criticism which allows the other person to go away feeling encouraged, edified, educated, and enlightened...  we seem to have lost our ability to do that.

********  Thank you, dooBdoo. Yes, it is a disheartening trend.  I feel there are a lot of things that play into it.  I wish I could say what I think.  I imagine at least half or more of the people here would probably deem it too religious and I would go poof!   It's funny how some rules are meant to be broken and some are not. 

I guess one must develop a sense of humor about it to survive here. I know it's not funny but, today, I imagined in my mind some of the real trouble makers here as "Harriet Olsen" from Little House On The Prairie!!!!!  I don't see them as sadists...just women who love to participate in, what used to be called, "idle gossip".  The tongue, however is a sharp instrument and it cuts deeply.....that is the sadistic part of it....when they just don't care and keep doing it.  Your quote from Maria P. says it all!

Esteemed Contributor

9 pages of comments on Shawn's hair????   is this what we have come to on these boards???   Shaking head in amazement.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Valued Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

9 pages of comments on Shawn's hair????   is this what we have come to on these boards???   Shaking head in amazement.

That's how it goes. I don't know if you or anyone here remembers USA's LA femme Nikita. On their message board there were over 30 pages of Micheal/Roy's mullet! LOL

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

**************     Yes, I'm afraid so.  The host bashers count on our silence.  They often go unchallenged.  So much of this has gone beyond "opinions" and "constructive criticism".  What's that saying....."Bashing thrives when good people do nothing."

Honored Contributor

Jubilant wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

Jubilant wrote:

I would like to say why I feel the way I do.  Today, more than ever, I see women scrutinizing other women ad nauseum.  I think we have all been guilty of it at one time or another. I know I have done it a few times in my life and I am not proud of myself when I do.  Something always checks me or reigns me in when I do.

We talk about men putting women down when, actually, it seems to me women do it more. Maybe a certain host is not your favorite. I like some better than others myself.  To me the scrutiny has become critical and unkind. If it's not Shawn, it's another host.  If you have a gripe against a host and it really upsets you to the point you can no longer watch.... there are options other than coming to these forums and criticizing someone literally from head to toe. There is no justification for that.  Not for me....not for you.

Such a perceptive post, @Jubilant.     I think that gets to the heart of the matter.   It's a pervasive and disheartening trend.   The criticisms have morphed into pretty clear representations of the people posting them rather than informing us about the people they claim to "help" with the (usualy personal) dissecting and disparaging comments.   Slicing and dicing, and seeming to have a good time doing so.  "Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit — the parallel powers of your heart and mind — better than how you give feedback."  (Maria Popova, writer and critic)   There's a way to provide actual constructive criticism which allows the other person to go away feeling encouraged, edified, educated, and enlightened...  we seem to have lost our ability to do that.

********  Thank you, dooBdoo. Yes, it is a disheartening trend.  I feel there are a lot of things that play into it.  I wish I could say what I think.  I imagine at least half or more of the people here would probably deem it too religious and I would go poof!   It's funny how some rules are meant to be broken and some are not. 

I guess one must develop a sense of humor about it to survive here. I know it's not funny but, today, I imagined in my mind some of the real trouble makers here as "Harriet Olsen" from Little House On The Prairie!!!!!  I don't see them as sadists...just women who love to participate in, what used to be called, "idle gossip".  The tongue, however is a sharp instrument and it cuts deeply.....that is the sadistic part of it....when they just don't care and keep doing it.  Your quote from Maria P. says it all!

You're welcome, @jubilant.❤️    Discouraging, isn't it?   It's troublesome that we can't seem to differentiate between constructive criticism and distasteful bashing.   (By the way, the sentence you bolded is my comment...  Maria Popova's quote is just before that.)   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

Such a perceptive post, @jubilant.     I think that gets to the heart of the matter.   It's a pervasive and disheartening trend.   The criticisms have morphed into pretty clear representations of the people posting them rather than informing us about the people they claim to "help" with the (usualy personal) dissecting and disparaging comments.   Slicing and dicing, and seeming to have a good time doing so.  "Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit — the parallel powers of your heart and mind — better than how you give feedback."  (Maria Popova, writer and critic)   There's a way to provide actual constructive criticism which allows the other person to go away feeling encouraged, edified, educated, and enlightened...  we seem to have lost our ability to do that.

You're welcome, @jubilant.❤️    Discouraging, isn't it?   It's troublesome that we can't seem to differentiate between constructive criticism and distasteful bashing.   (By the way, the sentence you bolded is my comment...  Maria Popova's quote is just before that.)   

************** Well, I must have thought both statements were equally wise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I Liked her hair blonder like this photo......the dark root look  she has now is just awfulIMG_0139.JPEG

Wow, how she has changed from this photo.  Had forgotten how she looked back then.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

**************     Yes, I'm afraid so.  The host bashers count on our silence.  They often go unchallenged.  So much of this has gone beyond "opinions" and "constructive criticism".  What's that saying....."Bashing thrives when good people do nothing."

@jubilant

Let's see......you dont like women bashing other wmen, women bashing QVC hosts, yet I guess it's okay for  you to bash others with a difference of a opinion and I bet many of them are women!!!.....A bit hypocritcal don't you think............

And the number of pages is mostly from comments of people being inciteful and argumentative which is against the Forum guidelines.....And if you bash others that just puts gasoline on the fire and is a form of bullying JMHO  Ignore the posts that upset you and move on with your life! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm commenting here because Barbara moved or should I say stopped the conversation on the Shawn Please thread. I'm not a Shawn fan, but I must say I like her hair color and hair do and I love the blue glasses. Her makeup last night was lovely and I liked the bright pink lips on her.