Respected Contributor

Re: Shawn K., PLEASE hurry back!

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

Dr, Laura preaches that if a woman decides to have children she should stay home and raise the child.  Many ask, how are we supposed to afford things, she states that one will find ways and your child needs its' mother for care and nurturing. 

Does the Q have day care for their employees or does the child have to go to day care?

Are you referring to the same Dr. Laura who is stuck in the 1950's way of thinking although she herself doesn't practice what she preaches?  She is a multimillionaire a few times over, so it's easy for her to suggest to women to just stay home and take care of their kids. She was also fairly well off when she had her son a couple of decades ago.  What if money is a problem and the rent or mortgage has to be paid?  Many times it's not about cutting out the extras.  Some people work just to pay for the necessities.

What if a woman wants to work and she and her spouse don't have a problem with that?  Most women I know work and their kids are fine.  Some people love their jobs and want to contribute to the world.  I have a friend who is a doctor with two kids - one four and the other about six months.  She's back at work.  All my teacher friends have kids and they're working.  I was raised by two parents who both worked and I grew up fine. 

The bigger problem is who will watch the kids?  Sometimes it's dad. Sometimes it's the grandparents or another relative.  Sometimes it has to be daycare.  As long as the place is legit, clean and has the kids' best interests at heart, then that's okay too. 

By the way, Dr. Laura grew up with a stay-at-home mother and the two had a contentious relationship.  She didn't even speak to her mother at her time of death.

Hmmmmm...... that's someone I have no interest in taking advice from!!!!!👎🏼

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I think it is everyone's personal business what they chose to do in living their lives, whether it is Mom staying home, Dad staying home, Mom and Dad going to work with a babysitter, or relative taking care of the kids. It's no ones business except for Mom and Dad. I don't understand why strangers think they can tell other people how they should live their lives. 

Because everything now is so Public.  Social media, internet, twitter, etc.  There is no privacy, people put it out there and I truly believe many are attention seekers who love the attention and thrive on chaos.

Let's go back, Shawn adopted a baby, without the computer, no one would know when of if she was coming back to work and overall, no one would really even know that little girl was adopted.  

Privacy is gone.

@Just Bling, I think you misunderstood the meaning of the sentence you are referring to in @proudlyfromNJ's post. Posting what's going on in one's life -- for example, having a baby -- does not and should not equate with others posting judgments as to how that woman should live her life.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

When money is not a problem, many young women simply choose not to stay at home. They have careers which they enjoy, and they can't even imagine being home with a baby day in and day out.

Esteemed Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

I am soooo sick of seeing Jennifer C. in prime time on Monday evenings and also sick of watching Amy S. host PM Style.  Anyone know when Shawn is coming back??  Sure hope it's SOON!

Man do I agree with Jenn C is really bad.  She is the only host I cannot watch.  

Valued Contributor

Oh please let her stay away.

Super Contributor

I would hope Shawn puts that little baby's needs above her own.

That is all.

Respected Contributor

@forsythia1 wrote:

I would hope Shawn puts that little baby's needs above her own.

That is all.

What does that even mean?

Millions of mothers go back to work and raise healthy, successful, loving children.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I think it is everyone's personal business what they chose to do in living their lives, whether it is Mom staying home, Dad staying home, Mom and Dad going to work with a babysitter, or relative taking care of the kids. It's no ones business except for Mom and Dad. I don't understand why strangers think they can tell other people how they should live their lives. 

Because everything now is so Public.  Social media, internet, twitter, etc.  There is no privacy, people put it out there and I truly believe many are attention seekers who love the attention and thrive on chaos.

Let's go back, Shawn adopted a baby, without the computer, no one would know when of if she was coming back to work and overall, no one would really even know that little girl was adopted.  

Privacy is gone.

@Just Bling, I think you misunderstood the meaning of the sentence you are referring to in @proudlyfromNJ's post. Posting what's going on in one's life -- for example, having a baby -- does not and should not equate with others posting judgments as to how that woman should live her life.

You just said it yourself "posting" judgment, if there wasn't the internet, people would possibly read about it in a newspaper so there wouldn't be a platform for a discussion.

But, we all know, everyone has an opinion and there are plenty of suggestions on how one should live their life. 

Honored Contributor

For clothing shows I really like Leah, Pat, Gabrielle.  Also Carolyn and Antonella provide a down to earth realistic approach rather than XXS options (Im a medium and not always common to see a model in medium--so Carolyn/Antonella are a breath of fresh air)_.  And I do like one of the newer hosts, Katie McGee too.......Much better alternatives to Fashions Night In!  

I'm just not a fan of Shawn, Amy, Courtney Cason, or too chatty JRT............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

Good idea Daysdee!  Some hosts really seem to get stale presenting same product line over and over.  For instance, would love to see Shawn present more jewelry; less of Sandra Bennett presenting beauty, etc.  I would think the hosts would prefer this also.  How can you possible stay overly enthusiastic presenting same thing over and over and over?

I agree about rotating the hosts.  They each have their own take on things and their own style.  I like to see Sandra Bennett presenting clothes.  Right now that only seems to be Susan Graver and I rarely watch.  To me, it seems when she presents beauty, she's hyper-talking. Makes me think that she's required to get through a large number of things in beauty because she doesn't do that with clothes.