Respected Contributor

Re: Shawn K., PLEASE hurry back!

@Just Bling wrote:

My mom and dad moved into a house without any furniture and they coudn't afford any so they used wooden crates to sit on.  Today's children are lucky to get married parents since many women are having children without getting married and it's a "I" society vs a "us" society.

I really feel sorry for the kids today, mom's got her face in the phone and the kids do what they want or for dinner, give the kids the phone and no one needs to bother with them.

The problem with Dr. Laura is "she's right"

I used to think she was right until I witnessed women I know find themselves in a situation either through sudden unexpected divorce, loss of spouse who was the breadwinner, illness, etc where they had to find a job to support their family.  After being out of the workforce many years to stay home with their children it is not easy to find a full time job that pays enough to support their family.  Insurance is another big factor these days.  Although it is admirable to be a stay at home Mom it is not easy in today's economy.  I always thought I would like my girls to be able to stay at home like I did, but have changed my views.  Women can work and be a wonderful Mom as long as she has great childcare.  

Respected Contributor

Jane T, Pat, Jayne Brown, Mary Beth, and others have all raised kids while working.  Shawn will be no exception. 

It's really nobody's business besides hers whether she returns to work or not.  I can't even believe people think about such things. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Jane T, Pat, Jayne Brown, Mary Beth, and others have all raised kids while working.  Shawn will be no exception. 

It's really nobody's business besides hers whether she returns to work or not.  I can't even believe people think about such things. 

I can't either, @Bri36.  It is nobody's business. And I imagine that being a working Mom as a Q host is FAR different (and better I'm sure) than being a working Mom in most of corporate America. 

Jagger is TOO ADORABLE! Heart

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Dr Laura lives in 1950 when couples could afford to have the mom stay home.  That's just not possible these days unless you're very wealthy.

@CalminHeart You are correct and so do a few posters here.

Super Contributor

I did not go back to work after the children were born.  We did without... Not like the familes today that have to keep up with the Jones's.... The food that we bought had to work for a week and the children were never deprived.  I was there when they went on the bus and home when they returned.  Money was scarce and we could not afford vacations but all in all things were OK.  Now my kids are grown and I am enjoying all the spending and good times that I deserve... Worth the wait....

Honored Contributor

I think it is everyone's personal business what they chose to do in living their lives, whether it is Mom staying home, Dad staying home, Mom and Dad going to work with a babysitter, or relative taking care of the kids. It's no ones business except for Mom and Dad. I don't understand why strangers think they can tell other people how they should live their lives. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I think it is everyone's personal business what they chose to do in living their lives, whether it is Mom staying home, Dad staying home, Mom and Dad going to work with a babysitter, or relative taking care of the kids. It's no ones business except for Mom and Dad. I don't understand why strangers think they can tell other people how they should live their lives. 

Because everything now is so Public.  Social media, internet, twitter, etc.  There is no privacy, people put it out there and I truly believe many are attention seekers who love the attention and thrive on chaos.

Let's go back, Shawn adopted a baby, without the computer, no one would know when of if she was coming back to work and overall, no one would really even know that little girl was adopted.  

Privacy is gone.

Contributor

Why do these people even have fans? Are your lives that empty?

Honored Contributor

I really like Shawn and do miss her, but I also like Jennifer Coffey, and I think she does an excellent job. It seems like a month or so ago, I saw a long thread praising Jennifer's work.......I think she is one host who doesn't talk over the vendors...One host I have seen quite a bit lately and she is really good is Katie McGhee-she is an excellent host. 

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

My mom and dad moved into a house without any furniture and they coudn't afford any so they used wooden crates to sit on.  Today's children are lucky to get married parents since many women are having children without getting married and it's a "I" society vs a "us" society.

I really feel sorry for the kids today, mom's got her face in the phone and the kids do what they want or for dinner, give the kids the phone and no one needs to bother with them.

The problem with Dr. Laura is "she's right"

I have to disagree that's "she's right." It's her opinion to feel that way, but opinions are "right and wrong". There are "right if the person agrees with it and that's what works for them, and opinions are wrong if it doesn't work for a particular person. That's why they're called opinions and just because someone is a doc doesn't make them more correct or that their statements are  always 100% right. 

I was not a stay at home mom and worked while my son was in school during the day and he was loved and nurtured. If I was a stay at home mom, would he have received more love from me? No! 

We all have opinions and we all have to understand that what works for one family or person, may not work for me. 

This doc did not pay my bills so she has no idea what I was able to do. I was a single mom! My son turned out fine, he's in the Army Reserves and is a full time college student. What more could I ask for? Nothing...