Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

It's not just Shawn, unfortunately it is other hosts and models too. HSN models are even worse.  They cram those poor ladies in jeans and jeggings that have to be 2 sizes to small.  It's a turn off.  Does not present the clothing in it's best light. Some hosts, like  Leah and Jayne always look put together.  One last complaint, if the hosts are wearing clothing being presenting, why do they have to try to look cutsie by doing a 1/2 tuck, tie a shirt etc.  

Yes they certainly do! How pairing these two up for a show? Have they ever co-hosted together? If not please do Q! They would be BIG fun to watch and shop with.

Honored Contributor

I don't order much clothing online, and at least one person here will attest that when I do I tend to err on the side of larger vs smaller.  She always comments that she hopes I didn't order too large.  When in a store I take several sizes in to try.  Pants are the most difficult, and I would never order anything the Q bills as a slim leg since I know the hosts all have skinny legs and they usually look like sausage casings on the larger models.

My rule of thumb is, if it has horizontal wrinkling, it's too small.  Also, if you're continually tugging a skirt down, it's too small.  Properly fit clothing moves with you and shouldn't need readjusting all the time.  

I do appreciate Colleen on HSN who will suggest when a particular item should be sized up and will even mention it if she thinks the model is in too small a size. She mentioned the other day about a top she was wearing that she had sized up because she's a bit busty and she didn't want pulling at the bust especially since it was a button-down.  

I do think that sometimes the models don't actually get a choice.  The manufacturer probably doesn't send a whole complement of sizes to choose from.  I have even heard hosts mention that they are wearing a different size than what they normally would because their size was not available to wear.

Trusted Contributor

Bunch of great posts here.  Rational, truthful thought.  I enjoyed reading every post.  

Contributor

I've been having trouble with sizing, and never used to at all.  In the Mug Lug joggers, I got a 2X and they fit PERFECTLY.  So I tried the ANY BODY joggers and ordered that for them as well, and I even checked their size chart.  Well, they were so big there was no way I could wear them.  So I got an XL and they are OK, but still a little big.  So I guess my perfect size for ANY BODY would be a L. 

And it takes SO LONG for the item to be sent back, then for them to send you the new size.  Very frustrating!

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

My theory on why so many of the models look bad in too-tight clothes is that the models are hired by size.  A call goes out to the modeling agency for an XXS, Large, 1X, Petite, etc.  The model & the agency make money based on qualifying that size for QVC, so that QVC can present that size to the viewer. 

But models are human like the rest of us, and they can gain or lose weight.  Imagine how confusing it would be if longstanding models wear different sizes on air because their weight fluctuates.  I also believe the vendors are less than forthcoming when a specific fashion item is more fitted than they are disclosing to shoppers.  

The hosts?  Sorry, I think a couple of them are just vain.  Also there's incredible competition to be XXS.  It's sad really.  I remember one host saying she was an XXS, and quickly went to Katia and said "Katia and I are in the same size."  Katia looked great. The host looked like she could just barely breathe in the clothes. But yeah, she was able to say they wore the same size. 

I see it on every shopping channel I've ever watched.  That TV-job pressure to proclaim to be a size zero is still prevalent and unfortunate. 

@Caaareful Shopper   If vendors only provide smaller samples on the display rack, I'd rather not see them on a model who's ill-fitted. I also wonder if hosts are under pressure by Q to be a certain size to stay employed. Jill and Antonella are no longer there. Did they really leave to spend more time with family?

***Have no idea why my print is slanted.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shawn Clothes Sizing

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

My theory on why so many of the models look bad in too-tight clothes is that the models are hired by size.  A call goes out to the modeling agency for an XXS, Large, 1X, Petite, etc.  The model & the agency make money based on qualifying that size for QVC, so that QVC can present that size to the viewer. 

But models are human like the rest of us, and they can gain or lose weight.  Imagine how confusing it would be if longstanding models wear different sizes on air because their weight fluctuates.  I also believe the vendors are less than forthcoming when a specific fashion item is more fitted than they are disclosing to shoppers.  

The hosts?  Sorry, I think a couple of them are just vain.  Also there's incredible competition to be XXS.  It's sad really.  I remember one host saying she was an XXS, and quickly went to Katia and said "Katia and I are in the same size."  Katia looked great. The host looked like she could just barely breathe in the clothes. But yeah, she was able to say they wore the same size. 

I see it on every shopping channel I've ever watched.  That TV-job pressure to proclaim to be a size zero is still prevalent and unfortunate. 

@Caaareful Shopper   If vendors only provide smaller samples on the display rack, I'd rather not see them on a model who's ill-fitted. I also wonder if hosts are under pressure by Q to be a certain size to stay employed. Jill and Antonella are no longer there. Did they really leave to spend more time with family?

***Have no idea why my print is slanted.

@Shanus  The size on the rack is always XXS.  I guess TV retail law says that's the size that best presents on TV to the viewer.  That's fine.

But I often hear hosts say they pulled their size, or "my size isn't out here, so I cannot try it on."  I appreciate that very much.  It's the ones that insist they too can wear XXS [but clearly not] that do not do justice for the garment, or the viewer.  

To me, it just appears some hosts forget that the sole purpose of them wearing the garment is to give the item it's best look, and give the viewer assistance in making their buying decision.  

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Shawn looked like Waldo from "Where's Waldo" last night on her show with Courtney.    Those glasses did nothing for her.  That show is all about talking about Hollywood stars and it is a big bore.  Status is so important to those two.  I changed the channel and will not go back.

@Jinlei   I may have given up figuring out who QVC is attempting to reach. The hosts are in the 30-50 year old range (estimating). some vendors present clothing that are just "crazy looking"...nothing I've seen on women anywhere here or in the stores in my mall. The "lounge look and sweat shirts/pants and gym look" pr tops/sweaters w/ huge flower prints in cheap fabrics has taken over the channel.

The stores I usually frequent have mostly workout type clothing. Macy's here has the first floor 3/4 sweats/lounge wear. Where are the CLOTHES? If people are truly beginning to leave their homes, travel and go to restaurants, what the heck are we supposed to wear? I did very little shopping during 2020 since we mostly stayed home. I looked forward to purchasing nicer outfits when I venture out. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I really like Shawn, but agree she could often go up a size. But, this is just a weird dynamic that we see over and over again. Not just with film personalities, but even amongst friends and family. 

Many aspire to believe they are something they are not. Denial rules. I blame society for setting unrealistic standards for us average folks.

Clothing is one thing, but I've even seen people damage their feet by squeezing into a size 7, when they're likely a 8 1/2W. Why, when no one will know what size their feet are, unless they tell them, but it matters to the person's view of themselves. Podiatrists love them.  

It's a fantasy that the day will come when we no longer judge one another for differences in choices and appearances. In fact, it seems to be getting worse. 

@BlueFinch  There's huge pressure to be thin/smaller and stay 40 forever. The magazines, tv ads, social media  and most  reality shows are forcing the image of perfection, too..youth, fitness and size XS. It's attainable by few...pure fantasy which causes frustration. 

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

When I was young my mother was a stitcher for the ILGWU sewing higher end women's clothes.  She always told me if you pick up 2-3 of the same garments, same size, none of them will fit the same.  Reason is because it depends on how close the garment cutter cut the material to the pattern and how close the stitcher sewed the seams together. 

If a cutter cut the pattern very close and then the stitcher took in too much when sewing, then those garments could be smaller by as much as 1-2 inches overall than the same garment cut by another cutter that cut more generously and a stitcher that sewed more generous along seams.  Many times I have tried on same garment of the same color in stores and every one fit differently.  I would go into fitting rooms with 2-3 of the SAME item, SAME color, marked the SAME size, and one could have sleeves cut too short, another would button too tight and another could fit just right.

Sizing is not a universal thing.  Every company and every garment has it's own sizing proportions.  Just because you wear a size 2 or a 14 or a 22 does not mean you wear a 2, 14, or 22 in every garment from that manufacturer or any other manufacturer.  You wear the size that fits you correctly.  

If someone wears a blouse, shirt or jacket tight to flatter their bust line they are not wearing the proper size if it is all stretched out and tight at their hips.

And when it comes to the models or hosts wearing blouses, jackets, sweaters...a proper fit allows you to CLOSE EVERY BUTTON, SNAP OR ZIPPER 'COMPLETELY' without it gaping, pulling, or the garment looking like you were poured into it.  The garment does not fit properly at sleeve openings, shoulder placement and across the back if it does not fit properly in the front and you CANNOT CLOSE IT.  If it is too tight in front to completely close then it is too tight across the back, shoulders and the sleeve openings & placement.  Every garment looks better if you do NOT look like you were poured into it, unless it is an undergarment.  Not one model is able to properly close their garments for a correct fit.

Outlines of body cracks are not a flattering look on anyone of any age, size, or figure.

@Scorpio1971   If I hear one more time, "It's QVC sizing"...I'll throw up! The sizing is so way off it's ridiculous! Very few clothing items fit the way they are presented and described. I just can't order from here. The returns ate up my clothing budget dollars. I'm done. 

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

Why don't women just wear the size that actually fits them the best?

Why are women so obsessed with that size tag?

You are an extra small or you are not, you are a 1x or you are not...

The size is irrelevant.

A good fit goes a long way in how one looks!

@CAMOGIRL   Society pressures women to fit into a certain category. It's usually not someone who's a 1X. I don't mean to offend, but that's the truth.