Honored Contributor

Re: Shawn Clothes Sizing

[ Edited ]

@NEvans2 wrote:

Wanted to get my opinion in before this post goes away. I've said this before and I'll say it again, it's not about size, it's about fit. I sold clothes for 20 years. There are some women who are so size obsessed they will squeeze themselves into a smaller size no matter how it looks. The size tags are not on the outside of the garment, they're on the inside. No one needs to know.

@NEvans2   I so agree with your statement!!  It's all about "vanity sizing" and I think a certain insecurity placed on all women to be smaller and younger.

If you are truly a size XXXS, bully for you, but don't say it and mislead us how a garment would fit if it's pulling across your chest, making your legs look like sauages and no one I know would appear in public in these clothes, even in the tightest spanx underneath.  

Although petite and 100 lbs. soaking wet, I'm not ashamed to say I need a size medium in jackets and some tops...broad shoulders. NYDJ jeans, yes I size down like recommended, but in other 

jeans or pants if I need a size 6 to breathe or sit down, so be it. 

.....and please QVC, stop cramming the models into ill-fitting clothing, parading them out and giving me their  height (?) and what size they're wearing. Since online measurements have rarely been accurate, I'd rather know the models bust size, hip measuremnts and know if those XS pants that look like they're ready to explode, I'd know to order the next size (or 2) up.   

BTW, if Shawn and others, sorry, Hons, are a size XS, I'd be looking for clothing in the toddler department.

Honored Contributor

My theory on why so many of the models look bad in too-tight clothes is that the models are hired by size.  A call goes out to the modeling agency for an XXS, Large, 1X, Petite, etc.  The model & the agency make money based on qualifying that size for QVC, so that QVC can present that size to the viewer. 

But models are human like the rest of us, and they can gain or lose weight.  Imagine how confusing it would be if longstanding models wear different sizes on air because their weight fluctuates.  I also believe the vendors are less than forthcoming when a specific fashion item is more fitted than they are disclosing to shoppers.  

The hosts?  Sorry, I think a couple of them are just vain.  Also there's incredible competition to be XXS.  It's sad really.  I remember one host saying she was an XXS, and quickly went to Katia and said "Katia and I are in the same size."  Katia looked great. The host looked like she could just barely breathe in the clothes. But yeah, she was able to say they wore the same size. 

I see it on every shopping channel I've ever watched.  That TV-job pressure to proclaim to be a size zero is still prevalent and unfortunate. 

Trusted Contributor

Shawn looked like Waldo from "Where's Waldo" last night on her show with Courtney.    Those glasses did nothing for her.  That show is all about talking about Hollywood stars and it is a big bore.  Status is so important to those two.  I changed the channel and will not go back.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shawn Clothes Sizing

[ Edited ]

@minimalistWF wrote:

I really love Shawn's shows, but find that the items she is presenting don't look so great on her because she is wearing too small of a size.  Maybe she gained some covid weight, really haven't we all, but just wish she would choose a more flattering fit.  Loving her with Courtney tonight!

@minimalistWF 

I think the problem lies with the QVC Stylist...Shawn isnt the only one...MANY of the hosts and models wear sizes which are too small....  I remember Carolyn said on air that the Stylist told her that "fitted" clothes actually make you look smaller.....and after complaints from viewers Carolyn even tried for a time to try on a larger size and she then chose what she thought looked best on her to wear on air....dont know if she's continuing this practice.....Even some of the models ---the bottoms are so tight you can see every lump and bump....and the tops are tight around the middle and they cover that up with their hands or don a jacket....and jackets are too small and they cant even button or zip them up....And even some of the photos on the website advertising clothing look downright awful!!! SMH!!!  As someone else said clothes should FIT PROPERLY especially when they are trying to sell the clothing you want the best possible presentation--QVC stop this vanity sizing of hosts and models!!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I really like Shawn, but agree she could often go up a size. But, this is just a weird dynamic that we see over and over again. Not just with film personalities, but even amongst friends and family. 

Many aspire to believe they are something they are not. Denial rules. I blame society for setting unrealistic standards for us average folks.

Clothing is one thing, but I've even seen people damage their feet by squeezing into a size 7, when they're likely a 8 1/2W. Why, when no one will know what size their feet are, unless they tell them, but it matters to the person's view of themselves. Podiatrists love them.  

It's a fantasy that the day will come when we no longer judge one another for differences in choices and appearances. In fact, it seems to be getting worse. 

Trusted Contributor

@Scorpio1971  I always take three of the same size in the fitting room with me. Not so much tops as bottoms. Especially jeans.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971  Thank you for posting the information, it makes perfect sense. It should answer many questions about sizing.  Back in the day, (before stretch,) when buying my Levies, I would bring numerous pairs of the same size to find the perfect fit. I agree, n

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

When I was young my mother was a stitcher for the ILGWU sewing higher end women's clothes.  She always told me if you pick up 2-3 of the same garments, same size, none of them will fit the same.  Reason is because it depends on how close the garment cutter cut the material to the pattern and how close the stitcher sewed the seams together. 

If a cutter cut the pattern very close and then the stitcher took in too much when sewing, then those garments could be smaller by as much as 1-2 inches overall than the same garment cut by another cutter that cut more generously and a stitcher that sewed more generous along seams.  Many times I have tried on same garment of the same color in stores and every one fit differently.  I would go into fitting rooms with 2-3 of the SAME item, SAME color, marked the SAME size, and one could have sleeves cut too short, another would button too tight and another could fit just right.

Sizing is not a universal thing.  Every company and every garment has it's own sizing proportions.  Just because you wear a size 2 or a 14 or a 22 does not mean you wear a 2, 14, or 22 in every garment from that manufacturer or any other manufacturer.  You wear the size that fits you correctly.  

If someone wears a blouse, shirt or jacket tight to flatter their bust line they are not wearing the proper size if it is all stretched out and tight at their hips.

And when it comes to the models or hosts wearing blouses, jackets, sweaters...a proper fit allows you to CLOSE EVERY BUTTON, SNAP OR ZIPPER 'COMPLETELY' without it gaping, pulling, or the garment looking like you were poured into it.  The garment does not fit properly at sleeve openings, shoulder placement and across the back if it does not fit properly in the front and you CANNOT CLOSE IT.  If it is too tight in front to completely close then it is too tight across the back, shoulders and the sleeve openings & placement.  Every garment looks better if you do NOT look like you were poured into it, unless it is an undergarment.  Not one model is able to properly close their garments for a correct fit.

Outlines of body cracks are not a flattering look on anyone of any age, size, or figure.

either models or hosts can ever button/zip their jackets.

Super Contributor
@Jinlie I agree! Those two are so into status symbols and designer things. I would imagine that job would be very high maintenance and competition between some of the hosts. I’m enjoying who can purchase the most expensive bracelet from two of them.... Tiffany or Cartier!
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of when I sold ladies dresses in a fine dept store back in the 70's as a part time job in college. Ladies would analyze the fit, saying things like they were a certain size depending on the quality of the girdle they would be wearing at the time. As a young girl, I found it so amusing, but just let them talk and I listened. 

Frequent Contributor

You should not worry about her size and her clothes< How rude just take care of yourself.To each ther own on how you like your clothes to fit  HA HA