Trusted Contributor

Re: Sense of Entitlement among Military Dependants

Nothing like painting all military dependents with the same brush.I myself am a military dependent. When I go somewhere, I'll ask if there's a discount for a military dependent. If I'm told no, that's the end of it, I move on. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I have a customer service job. Dependants are some of our worst customers. True story: there was a Military wife who thought she was going get her 8-10 FRIENDS not  family a discount because she was a dependant. Come on! We have to make money at the end of the day!

I find this thread peculiar and not at all believable...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I got that dependent cards are not accepted.  Its just that I've never run into that.  And hope someday your business is posted off limits.

Respected Contributor

Ever have an active duty or retiree member complain?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

sgraham30 I wish they all were like you. Many simply accept the policy. That is always a relief.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

Why do you say that Traveler?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:

sgraham30 I wish they all were like you. Many are are simply accept the policy. That is always a relief.

I'm not the one that served, my husband is the one who was active duty, he is a deceased, disabled retiree who died a month after he was released from active duty. He's the one that  had the ridiculous hours at times, was gone on underways for months at a time, & was put in harms way on a few occasions. A discount would be nice but when there is one, it's usually 10%. I'm not going to get upset or throw a hissy fit over a 10% discount.

Super Contributor

This is an interesting situation.  I think, at first glance, that most people would say, of course, military members and their families deserve special service.  As the daughter of a World War II veteran, I am incredibly sympathetic to what my dad and his fellow soldiers endured.  In my opinion, we can never thank them enough.  I also feel for what familes go through.  I remember my nana, who spoke little English and was just off the boat from Greece, tried to appeal to the head of veterans services asking that not all of her six sons be deployed during World War II.  Her pleas fell on deaf ears, and all six of her sons fought that war at the same time.  Incredibly, all six returned alive.  So, I understand the sacrifices of all families who serve.

Having said that, I also think that some people try to take advantage of offers extended to service members (and their families).  The OP made reference to the fact that people still need to make a living.  I appreciate that.  I think sometimes people are just looking for "a deal."  Fair enough.  But I think we all need to be cognizant of the fact that small business people can't just give away their services.  All of us, whether familes of service members or not, need to respect the fact that many people are struggling, and trying to get something for nothing is not nice, and not fair.  Yes, we should respect service members and their families, but they also need to respect people who are just trying to earn a living.

Trusted Contributor

sgraham30 thank you for your husband's service and the support you provided.

Super Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@JBKO wrote:

sgraham30 I wish they all were like you. Many are are simply accept the policy. That is always a relief.

I'm not the one that served, my husband is the one who was active duty, he is a deceased, disabled retiree who died a month after he was released from active duty. He's the one that  had the ridiculous hours at times, was gone on underways for months at a time, & was put in harms way on a few occasions. A discount would be nice but when there is one, it's usually 10%. I'm not going to get upset or throw a hissy fit over a 10% discount.

My heart goes out to you.  God bless your husband.  That is the ultimate sacrifice.  I'm guessing that your husband was like my dad, who always tried to downplay his service.  He never wanted to talk about it.  He always said he just did what needed to be done.  May your husband (and my dad) never be forgotten.