Trusted Contributor

Sense of Entitlement among Military Dependants

Before this job I currently have, I had very little if any exposure to military Dependants. Well let me tell you that my opinion of them is very low. We provide discounts/ complimentary services to active duty and retired military personnel but not to their dependants. I cannot tell you how many times they act like this is the end of the world. Let me tell you something: You did not do the service. If there are other places that provide concessions for you, so be it. Where I work we do not and that is not my call.  I have had dependants almost ruin my day with their completely uncalled for attitude. Do I have sympathy for them because they have a loved one in the Military? The little that I have remaining is quickly running out because they give themselves such a bad name with their sense of entitlement. Your thoughts?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Re: Sense of Entitlement among Military Dependants

Military spouses and their kids make a lot of sacrifices too. i've never encountered the type of behavior you are referring to though. 

Respected Contributor

What type of job do you have?  Beauty, retail, medical, what?

Regular Contributor

As they say, "When one member joins, the whole family serves.".

Trusted Contributor

I have a customer service job. Dependants are some of our worst customers. True story: there was a Military wife who thought she was going get her 8-10 FRIENDS not  family a discount because she was a dependant. Come on! We have to make money at the end of the day!

Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Before this job I currently have, I had very little if any exposure to military Dependants. Well let me tell you that my opinion of them is very low. We provide discounts/ complimentary services to active duty and retired military personnel but not to their dependants. I cannot tell you how many times they act like this is the end of the world. Let me tell you something: You did not do the service. If there are other places that provide concessions for you, so be it. Where I work we do not and that is not my call.  I have had dependants almost ruin my day with their completely uncalled for attitude. Do I have sympathy for them because they have a loved one in the Military? The little that I have remaining is quickly running out because they give themselves such a bad name with their sense of entitlement. Your thoughts?

I don't know what kind of job you are talking about.  If it's a military discount at a store, check their military ID.  If they don't have one, no discount.  End of story, next in line. 

Respected Contributor

As former active duty then a dependent and now a retiree dependent  I have always had a military card to prove my status.  I would never expect to drag non-card holders into discounts.  I just wanted to let others in my situation know not to do business with your firm.

Trusted Contributor

Not that easy. It is simple though: discount is only for active or retired military not dependants. They have a fit because they think it should apply to dependants too.

Respected Contributor

Still confused what service you provide that is so special a military card is not sufficient.

Trusted Contributor

What is so hard to understand?: active duty card is accepted, retired card is accepted, military dependant is not.