Respected Contributor

Now that they are in clearance mode, I've noticed hosts saying " You are saving more money than you are spending." I guess you could say that, but to me you save when you don't spend. All they are doing is reducing the markup.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saving More Than Spending

Yep . . . typical sales language that has been around for decades.

Respected Contributor

I can see their point.  If the item is at least 51% off, you are spending more than your are "saving".  It's  a weird point, though.  Who mentally compares their "savings" with the price?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I can see their point.  If the item is at least 51% off, you are spending more than your are "saving".  It's  a weird point, though.  Who mentally compares their "savings" with the price?

For rhe record, the statement is incorreect. 

example: a $100 item

51% off =  $51 off

To purchase the item, you will spend $100-$51 = $49

If you buy, you will spend $49, you will save $51.

So you are spending less than you are saving. Or saving more than you are spending.

Of course, you will save the most by not buying.  

Honored Contributor

If you buy something for $50 that was marked down from $100 and you don't need that thing or you didn't intend to buy it until you saw it....you didn't save $50.....you spent $50.  And that $50 was money you never intended to spend.   However, I'm not blaming the hosts or QVC.  QVC is a retailer and the hosts are sales people, they exist to sell stuff.  It's up to me to cut through the sales pitches and take care of my own finances.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessylady wrote:

Now that they are in clearance mode, I've noticed hosts saying " You are saving more money than you are spending." I guess you could say that, but to me you save when you don't spend. All they are doing is reducing the markup.

Yeah, I'm in the same camp as you with that notion.

The thing is, it's not like they sell necessities and things that you cannot get anywhere else, so they have a steep road to hoe in that respect.   I cannot think of a single thing I've purchased at QVC that I needed, rather than just wanted, and I have purchased a LOT of things there.  Not like some folks here who buy a ton but I came along when they had good quality fine jewelry.  Now they seldome even sell fine jewelry at all.

But I also have bought a lot of stuff from the Denim&Co line over the years.  Heck, I even have some D&C items that were made in the US!   Smiley Happy

But there has never been anything I have needed, even with clothes, shoes, and the like, that I couldn't get somewhere else.

I am sad about the decline in quality as well.  I remember one year when Stan Herman had a robe I liked.  It wasn't made of that stuff that gets all over your house, but the other material (fleece I think? sorry, I don't sew).  I liked it so much that, within a month or so, I purchased another.  The second one is so much lesser quality, in every way including material weight and sewing, that it was a disappointment.  I still have both and use them, even though I had to do some hand-sewing on the second one and the zipper pull broke off it, so I couldn't fix that.

But it's a drag that you cannot even count on quality with the exact same item and don't even get me started on size consistency!

Valued Contributor

Very smart lady. U can see how much money they r making 

Esteemed Contributor

At the end of the year when people are making New Year's resolutions, a lot of people are decluttering and deciding to go on a low buy or no buy when it comes to beauty items and clothes as they put the brakes on rampant consumerism. But that is the antithesis of what a shopping channel and shopping online easily is about.

Also people also get holiday gifts of money that they want to spend on beauty and clothes that may be expensive or on their wish lists so that is why there's such a big push after Christmas by shopping channel hosts to open those customer's wallets.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt agree with what you said about decline in quality. That is why I have become very careful about my purchases, and don't get me started on costly shipping to return.
Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree with @chickenbutt in her comments on sizing inconsistencies and lack of quality!!!  

Actually, I saved a lot this Christmas season by buying locally and not paying any shipping charges.  I moved away from the computer and actually walked in the stores.  Saved money and got a little exercise.  I hope to continue that trend in the New Year.    "Saving more than you're spending" is an oldie but a goodie seen in store ads everywhere.  I'm not falling for it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt