Regular Contributor

Re: Saint Patrick's Day on QVC now versus the past

It is not only Saint Patrick's Day that is scaled back.  I remember years ago when they had the "Gold Rush". They had an "Old West" theme. They had western looking sets and even a live donkey. 

Esteemed Contributor

They might do better selling cans of green beer

Respected Contributor

@busymom22 

EXCELLENT POST!!!!

Imagine what the youf of today would say....if you told them how much you sunk into dolls,Fenton, Baskets, Cuckoo Clocks, any of the "collectibles"'..

"You paid HOW MUCH??!????   For that??? WHY?????"

Not a fault, just diffeent priorities and a cultural shift away from clogging up every surface with stuff!!! Which I along with many my age ( 67) got started with on QVC!!

It's hard to part with the stuff, and no one wants it.

Time change. Culture changes. 

Sadly I think the QVC TV shopping model is done....they MAY have a few more years on life support now that they've gone after streaming services....but they STILL have to attract the eyeballs on streaming that are most focused on browsing for movies and series ( according to another article I read about QVC headwinds....no one "searches" for the shopping channels even on streaming platforms...)

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness we don't have to watch a whole day of the same old kitschy Irish knick-knacks and sweaters which are fodder for moths so they require special handling and care.  We've already seen it all. 

I'll avoid QVC this evening like the plague, for more than one reason. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@mormel20 

Remember the Kirk's Folly sets?!?!??

I can't stand that stuff, but evidently it had a following....I see they're on late at night one of these coming nights for anyone interested..

They REALLY need to consider stand in vendors for the two women selling that stuff....

To me...it's especially cringeworthy to watch the QVC host trying to feign interest in that gaudy fake old lady stuff....

That's why I'l make sure to watch.....!!!

You want to cover your eyes,but you just can't!!!!

Regular Contributor

I like kitchy Irish knick-knack.  

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

@busymom22 

EXCELLENT POST!!!!

Imagine what the youf of today would say....if you told them how much you sunk into dolls,Fenton, Baskets, Cuckoo Clocks, any of the "collectibles"'..

"You paid HOW MUCH??!????   For that??? WHY?????"

Not a fault, just diffeent priorities and a cultural shift away from clogging up every surface with stuff!!! Which I along with many my age ( 67) got started with on QVC!!

It's hard to part with the stuff, and no one wants it.

Time change. Culture changes. 

Sadly I think the QVC TV shopping model is done....they MAY have a few more years on life support now that they've gone after streaming services....but they STILL have to attract the eyeballs on streaming that are most focused on browsing for movies and series ( according to another article I read about QVC headwinds....no one "searches" for the shopping channels even on streaming platforms...)

sadly the younger generation would rather spend their time glued to phones and internet. I love admiring my Belleek, Capodimonte and Fenton glass. I have the items displayed in my China cabinet.  I'm sure many others get joy by looking at these items.

Contributor

@Othereeeen  I checked the stock just now and it's down 10% from its close yesterday of $1.00.  The stock price is now below $1.00.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaKeith 

I saw that...life support...better plan to visit soon....

I bet Carolyn and Dan see it too and are thinking;

"Thank GOD I took that severance.....there won't be anything left for the next round of layoffs....."

People who "feel bad" for them should think about that!!!

While sitting wiht thier feet up, watching as QVC desperately trys to sell brown* pedal pushers to the masses until the screen goes black.

* and YES I know there are other colors. Brown symbolizes QVC today....swirling around...well , you know.

( and PLEASE before 50 posts on "How do I know they got severance???"...

I made it up. ( Joking)

It was in QVC"s many many many many press releases about the layoffs on or about March 3.)

Regular Contributor

Are you talking about QVC stock price?  I looked just now and it says $12.05