Honored Contributor

Re: SUPER SATURDAY, SHOES, SHOES, SHOES, SUDS AND MARGARITAS, PEARLS, AND FASHION!

On 7/27/2014 stevieb said:

Spurt, I forgot to mention that the gift and jewelry shop I frequent has incorporated a few pieces from Jim Shore. There were only a handful of items, and several were angels, which aren't really my thing, and in fact some of the angels were duplicates, but they did have an adorable and quite large Mother Goose figurine and a cow figurine that I really adored... No purchases, but thought you'd be interested.

Hey Stevie....I'm glad your friends incorporated some of Jim Shore's items, I hope they sell well for them. I know his angels are very popular. (I purchase those). I haven't seen the Mother Goose or cow. Jim always takes such great care with his work and does a great job on putting in all the details. ......I will have to venture to a shop called Collector's Galley which carries a huge selection of Jim's figurines to check those 2 out in person---the shop owner displays them all. Although I think I'm done with JS purchases for a while having purchased his winter angel, and 2 Christmas kitty items, and a mini harvest cat, and an illuminated Christmas ornament.....of course he always temps me with his new items......I bet he has a couple new ones for harvest/fall. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I find myself rotating items that I display.....and putting away others for another time. I certainly recommend that you cave in and make those 2 purchases....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink.

I know for some folks, JS isn't their thing.....my DS prefers the Willow Tree angels (but I don't like the fact they don't have faces)....other friends have other collections - angels (not JS), bears, roosters, song birds and one electronics {#emotions_dlg.laugh}.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: SUPER SATURDAY, SHOES, SHOES, SHOES, SUDS AND MARGARITAS, PEARLS, AND FASHION!

On 7/29/2014 SPURT said:

Spurt, I forgot to mention that the gift and jewelry shop I frequent has incorporated a few pieces from Jim Shore. There were only a handful of items, and several were angels, which aren't really my thing, and in fact some of the angels were duplicates, but they did have an adorable and quite large Mother Goose figurine and a cow figurine that I really adored... No purchases, but thought you'd be interested.

Hey Stevie....I'm glad your friends incorporated some of Jim Shore's items, I hope they sell well for them. I know his angels are very popular. (I purchase those). I haven't seen the Mother Goose or cow. Jim always takes such great care with his work and does a great job on putting in all the details. ......I will have to venture to a shop called Collector's Galley which carries a huge selection of Jim's figurines to check those 2 out in person---the shop owner displays them all. Although I think I'm done with JS purchases for a while having purchased his winter angel, and 2 Christmas kitty items, and a mini harvest cat, and an illuminated Christmas ornament.....of course he always temps me with his new items......I bet he has a couple new ones for harvest/fall. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I find myself rotating items that I display.....and putting away others for another time. I certainly recommend that you cave in and make those 2 purchases....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Wink.

I know for some folks, JS isn't their thing.....my DS prefers the Willow Tree angels (but I don't like the fact they don't have faces)....other friends have other collections - angels (not JS), bears, roosters, song birds and one electronics {#emotions_dlg.laugh}.......

I'll be curious to see if they expand the range of offerings. I think they got in a few things to see how they do. I'm not interested in any more collections, but the pieces I mentioned were cute. I'd not want to own Mother Goose, but the cow, maybe one day... I have quite a few bears and roosters, though not by anyone specific, just pieces that I saw along the way and liked and many of the carved bears have been received as gifts... I also have a few witches that I like to sometimes sit out at Halloween but when it gets right down to it, I'm bursting at the seams and so very picky these days about bringing in anymore decorative items...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

On 7/29/2014 SPURT said:
On 7/27/2014 katiescarlett said:

Yeah, being around a teenager who has hours-long temper tantrums, slamming doors, etc., in addition to saying she wishes her mother would die and to never touch her food, is not my idea of a good time. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} And it is unfortunate because her mother is one of my oldest friends who I don't see very often, and I like her college friends who are joining her.

Just finished cutting up an entire watermelon rind for my darling horses.{#emotions_dlg.wub} I read they love it but to cut it in pieces smaller than 2 inches so they don't choke. So, after I took them a piece to see if they would eat it (2 did, 1 didn't), I have now 2 containers of treats. I just have to do it a few at a time so I don't make them sick, especially since they have never had it before.

I hate that it is getting dark earlier!{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Hey KS I have a question.....we usually go to a State Park in the fall and around Christmas.....they have a lot of neat activities and they also have a farm that is modeled back in the 1800's---they run the farm and do all the cooking (everything they make comes from the farm--they always have yummy goodies to sample usually fruit pies from their orchard)and they do the chores and life exactly as the people did way back them....and wear authentic clothes etc. They have a barn with animals including horses......we always make it a point to take a treat to the horses....we've taken apples and carrots.....are these good treats for horses? Or is there something better? (other than watermelon rinds since watermelons won't be in season)......

Hi SPURT, Yes, apples and carrots are perfectly acceptable for horses, and the rule of thumb is for the pieces to be smaller than 2 inches to prevent choke. That is why I cut the rind up into chunks (and my old horse has decided now that he likes it - go figure) And ask the owners first if it is okay. I will tell you what my horses really LOVE! Starlight mints. And those peppermints that are like pillows, softer than starlight mints. My old mare would go crazy and nip at my hands to make me hurry up and unwrap them!

That farm sounds neat and I bet those fruit pies are wonderful!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

On 7/28/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Hi katiescarlett, I'm somewhat new to the boards but I have enjoyed reading about your horses. I have a 27 year old Arabian now (got him when he was 8 months) and we had horses when I was growing up as well, coincidentally 1/2 Arabians.

You sound like maybe you have Warmbloods or Thoroughbreds? (Watch, I am going to be wrong and you are going to own QH cutters)

When I was young, we used to give the horses watermelon rinds - it was always a foamy, slobbery mess! I don't eat much watermelon now and the horse lives 20 miles from me so I don't save rinds for him. Don't worry, though, he gets plenty of snacksSmile - all kinds of horse "cookies" plus the property has apple trees that grow small, but tasty golden delicious apples for part of the year.

My 27 year old is still very active, though he managed to hurt his hock in January. We are easing him back into work and he is on a daily Prevacox pill (1/4 tablet). I have a lady who part-leases him from me so he has somebody to see him everyday and I think that helps keep him young.

He was long-lined as a youngster and we have gone back to that since it is so hot right now; he is great and I am learning. It's like driving an F-1 racing car, the steering is so sensitive{#emotions_dlg.laugh} The lady who leases him rides him so that is plenty of activity for now.

Anyway, it is fun to read about what is happening at your barn and the watermelon rind story brought back some great memories.

Hi mewsmomtoo,

No thoroughbreds or warmbloods here! I have a 25 yr old American Quarter Horse who I raised from birth (I had to retire him after some surgery at Univ. of GA due to breathing problems), a 15 yr old American Quarter Horse/Andalusian cross (an Azteca) who I also raised from birth (his sire was on the cover of the Robert Vavra book "Ten of the World's Most Beautiful Horses")- I owned their mother who lived to be 30 and was actually in good health but she had a catastrophic injury and ruptured her suspensory ligament. About killed me to have her put down. And in 2010 I purchased a Friesian/American Saddlebred cross. He is SUCH a nice horse, big, about 16.3h and a long way down when I get off! It took me a while to get used to his big stride at a canter. And I swear that sometimes he switches to a Saddlebred gait at the trot. I pleasure/trail ride, no fancy stuff, and take a lesson on Sat. morning.

It IS a zoo here, my "other full time job." Between 6 dogs, 5 barn cats, and the 3 horses, it is never a dull moment.

I think it is great that your horse is still active! But Arabians are known for their endurance, that's for sure. EQUUS magazine just had some articles on "Iron Horses," horses that have continued to compete when they were "past their prime" in racing, endurance, jumping, competitive trail riding, barrel racing. One was Elmer Bandit, an Arabian I believe, who continued with competitive trail rides into his 30's. I think he was 38 when he finally died. I would love to get back on my senior, but he just has no exercise tolerance any more.

Thanks for the story about your Arabian! EQUUS also just had two or three issues on the history of the modern Arabian and how it came to America. The Kentucky Horse Park International Museum of the Horse added on a fantastic section about the Arabian.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

Hi KatieScarlett: You do have Quarters! I should learn not make guesses Smile I think it is wonderful that you have had them since birth and that you were the one who bred them. You must know them better than they know themselves. I’m sorry you had to retire your senior horse – that must have been sad for you.

We have been very lucky with our old guy – this injury in January was only the second time he has had to take some time off and he has bounced back really well. He was a cutter/reiner in his early days, but “retired” to become a pleasure/trail horse and also to give lessons every once in while. I am hoping that by keeping him active he will have a long and happy life.

You have two really exotic mixes: QH/Andalusian and Friesian/Saddlebred! I am very familar with Robert Vavra and that book. Your boys must be very beautiful. I’d love to see a pic sometime of your horses if you ever feel like posting one. We had a Friesian at the barn for a while and, thank goodness, he was a gentle giant. It must be fun to be riding such a different kind of horse.

Thanks for telling me about your horses and for the heads up about Equus. I actually have a current subscription, but lately haven’t taken the time to read it. I did see the Iron Horses story. That’s good that the Kentucky Horse Park added an Arabian section. They are kind of important in the history of the light horse breeds, especially the Thoroughbred.Smile

Honored Contributor

On 7/29/2014 stevieb said:
On 7/29/2014 SPURT said:

I'll be curious to see if they expand the range of offerings. I think they got in a few things to see how they do. I'm not interested in any more collections, but the pieces I mentioned were cute. I'd not want to own Mother Goose, but the cow, maybe one day... I have quite a few bears and roosters, though not by anyone specific, just pieces that I saw along the way and liked and many of the carved bears have been received as gifts... I also have a few witches that I like to sometimes sit out at Halloween but when it gets right down to it, I'm bursting at the seams and so very picky these days about bringing in anymore decorative items...

Well I hope they sell well.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I tried to write my weekly preview and it wouldn't let me post it. It said I had a word not allowed and there was nothing of that kind in my post. and I rewrote it and tried to post and no dice. Perhaps it was a photo I used?????????

Image result for cats in fall leaves

Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Hi KatieScarlett: You do have Quarters! I should learn not make guesses SmileI think it is wonderful that you have had them since birth and that you were the one who bred them. You must know them better than they know themselves. I’m sorry you had to retire your senior horse – that must have been sad for you.

We have been very lucky with our old guy – this injury in January was only the second time he has had to take some time off and he has bounced back really well. He was a cutter/reiner in his early days, but “retired” to become a pleasure/trail horse and also to give lessons every once in while. I am hoping that by keeping him active he will have a long and happy life.

You have two really exotic mixes: QH/Andalusian and Friesian/Saddlebred! I am very familar with Robert Vavra and that book. Your boys must be very beautiful. I’d love to see a pic sometime of your horses if you ever feel like posting one. We had a Friesian at the barn for a while and, thank goodness, he was a gentle giant. It must be fun to be riding such a different kind of horse.

Thanks for telling me about your horses and for the heads up about Equus. I actually have a current subscription, but lately haven’t taken the time to read it. I did see the Iron Horses story. That’s good that the Kentucky Horse Park added an Arabian section. They are kind of important in the history of the light horse breeds, especially the Thoroughbred.Smile

At the World Equestrian Games at the KY Horse Park in 2010, I learned that my Friesian cross, who I had just purchased, was also known as a Georgian Grande. I was told that a man named George wanted to recreate the old style Saddlebred, like the horse Robert E. Lee rode and created the Georgian Grande. You can breed Saddlebreds to a draft type breed, but the Friesian/Saddlebred cross is preferred. However, mine is not registered as I don't have his dam's papers. I might see if my riding instructor has a copy as his sire stood at their barn until he died and they bred the mare. My horse was bred in SC but came to me via NC/GA/FL and finally NY. He is solid black, not a speck of white.

Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

On 7/31/2014 SPURT said:

I tried to write my weekly preview and it wouldn't let me post it. It said I had a word not allowed and there was nothing of that kind in my post. and I rewrote it and tried to post and no dice. Perhaps it was a photo I used?????????

Spurt:Well if you will use those photos from Play(ing) Kittens...

KatieScarlett: I have never heard of Georgian Grandes, that's really interesting. I guess he was meant to be yours if he came to you in such a roundabout way!Smile I hope you are able to get his papers - that would be nice!

In the Arabian world, it is not unheard of to sell a horse very cheap with no papers on the condition that he/ishe never be registered and they cannot be shown in Arabian shows without papers. It's a way to keep a stallion's not-so-good progeny out of the public's eye. Pretty bad, huh? But the Arabian show world is more than a little crazy and it is downright cruel at times.

Your guy must be spectacular with that pure black coat. There's just something so magicall about a pure black horse. We were lucky enough to breed a black Arabian once. We registered him as grey initially b/c we thought he was going to grey out, but he never did.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Had to go back and correct the registration.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who was seriously into hunters and she owned a black bay horse that the trainer never allowed out in the daytime in the summer months because she did not want his coat to fade! Can you imagine? But Hunters is all about appearances and they were beautiful together - she was a long-legged thin blonde.

(Did you ever subscribe to Practical Horseman? Used to love the George Morris column where he critiqued people's form over fences and he had one where he said the girl needed to work on getting thinner thighs - boy, did he catch heck for that!{#emotions_dlg.laugh})

Sorry for rambling, haven't really talked horses for awhile. It's so hot that I mostly visit my horse at night so I haven't seen my friends for awhile, they tend to go early in the A.M.. I also managed to miss the "summer birthdays" party{#emotions_dlg.sad} Take care and enjoy your beautiful boys!!

PS There is a website called allbreedpedigree.com. Since you have the name of his dam and sire you might be able to put together a free 5 generation pedigree if some of his relatives are already on the site and they are likely to be.

Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 SPURT said:

This happened to me a week or so ago when they're stinking software kept accusing me of using "the B word", which I hadn't. I tried and tried and tried and it wouldn't relent. I copied my text and saved it and when I went back later and reworded a few things it went through. They definitely need to lose their censor program, which tosses out everything but the kitchen sink, and replace it with something that's both for grown ups and that doesn't have such a dirty mind!

Incidentally, don't say that something is making you scratch, you know, as in you have an i_ch, because it will blank you on that one every time... I don't know what product they're using, but it's really a great one...

Lame, lame, lame...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...