Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@Stray wrote:
Shawn knows what side bar means as her dad was a lawyer. Maybe it’s a phrase that was used in her household? I use it myself at times.

How do you, and other people, know theses things ? I can't describe her face never mind what her father does !

That's what I was going to say. I think a sidebar is when the judge calls both lead lawyers in a case to the bench to clarify something or gently admonish them.

Super Contributor

I heard "side bar" in every retail management meeting I had to sit through. If a meeting was getting off track because a deeper discussion was needed that would hold up a meeting, one party or the other would request a side bar. They would then meet privately. Commonly used. And, yes, we knew it was borrowed from the legal world. 

Esteemed Contributor
Her father passed away & she has worn the ring with the scales of justice on it since he passed. She’s mentioned many times her dad was a lawyer. I don’t watch that much QVC but do know that. Side bar is when a judge or lawyer wants to speak lowly out of the ear range of jurors or others in a courtroom. It’s a commonly used term there.
Respected Contributor

I never thought another thing about it. I've heard her say it and didn't find it out of context. I think she means, as an extra note...

I adore Shawn! She's one of the few hosts left I can tolerate. She, the two Jaynes and Kirsten are the only decent hosts left, IMHO. If one of them goes, I'm DEFINITELY gone! Maybe even sooner!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.