Honored Contributor

Re: SECOND QUARTER RESULTS FOR QVC AND HSN!

On 8/11/2014 teganslaw said:

Maybe jewelry sales have dropped because of the prices. Much of it is fashion jewelry but with outrageous cost and less quality. I read some reviews, and there are customers who are not satisfied with their purchases.

I noticed high shipping and handling rates on many items. With electronics, that may also be factor. I would rather buy any electronics from a store like Best Buy than a shopping network. That way I could see the item and talk to a sales person before purchasing.

SPURT, haven't seen you on the football forum lately. You've got to be impressed with Washington's victory over NE. Preseason doesn't count, but it's a chance to evaluate the teams. Washington's TE, Jordan Reed, got some praise and could be a break out player, according to an article I read.

Hey Tegan.....oh you mean the bronzo and resin filled pieces that customers complain that the jewelry has either peeled or changed colors....but you can jump on it all you want!!!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've been a bit busy and neglecting the football forum but I will be posting more there now that the preseason has kicked off.....My team did pretty well....they are expecting Jordan Reed to do great things but he's got to stay healthy....most of the Pat's first string didn't play......Im concerned about the right side of our OL and our secondary.....Hey I read several football sources and their predictions and a few are picking your Colts {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 8/11/2014 newlook said:
On 8/11/2014 KDenn said:

Its no surprise with jewelry. The choices they offer aren't that great and its rare to find a jewelry show on of an evening. The majority of the jewelry shows are on in the afternoon or early morning hours. Also the best hosts for jewelry shows rarely host them anymore. They have them hosting clothing and beauty related shows all the time.

I think they do that to showcase Antonella who is a big favorite with the mid-afternoon buyers. These people have the time and money to buy during that time slot IMO.

I think QVC has a vendatta against customers that work......I guess they expect everyone to get out their smart phones or use their pc at work and spend our working day watching and ordering from QVC.....instead of the same ole thing it would be nice to get a little variety in the evening in prime time....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 8/10/2014 taja123 said:

I don't know about Electronics, but I'm not surprised their jewelry line has dropped. It's all that Bronzo, Stainless Steel, Spinell push, and charging fine jewelry prices instead of fashion jewelry prices.

It's a amazing that customers can figure out their jewelry sales woes, yet the Q buyers can't......

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't know it matters anymore what they do with jewelry. They back burnered it for too long and it's almost like that ship has sailed... They just can't seem to come up with the right mix of prices, styles or materials anymore and all that costume stuff is for the birds.

And yes, their lack of consideration for their working customers grows more and more glaring, as the weekend fare continues to be the ultimate in disappointing while all their 'special' events are almost invariably scheduled for weekdays.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

On 8/11/2014 KDenn said:

Its no surprise with jewelry. The choices they offer aren't that great and its rare to find a jewelry show on of an evening. The majority of the jewelry shows are on in the afternoon or early morning hours. Also the best hosts for jewelry shows rarely host them anymore. They have them hosting clothing and beauty related shows all the time.

I think they do that to showcase Antonella who is a big favorite with the mid-afternoon buyers. These people have the time and money to buy during that time slot IMO.

And they team her up with the buyer, who is an instant click off for me. Today her and the buyer are on from 4-7pm, I'll be watching something else.

Honored Contributor

On 8/17/2014 KDenn said:
On 8/11/2014 KDenn said:

And they team her up with the buyer, who is an instant click off for me. Today her and the buyer are on from 4-7pm, I'll be watching something else.

Agreed. I like Antonella, but in small doses. The cackling and gushing gets to be a bit much and when they team any of the hosts with their esteemed buyer, that's almost guaranteed to be a very abbreviated viewing experience for me... more so when the host is one I can only take in small doses in the first place.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

On 8/10/2014 stevieb said:

So the Q is doing well everywhere but Japan and here... Since electronics did so well there, maybe they could schedule their marathons there and give US a break... Looks like prices were up at HSN too and even more than here. Of course, I'm not sure HSN uses shipping as a means to garner revenue to the same extent as reportedly does QVC...

Personally, I'm not surprised that electronics are not the big seller they'd like them to be, given they're big ticket items. I firmly believe QVC has so saturated their base with them that there's little room for growth in this area... And let's face it, how many 'drive by' customers are going to drop everything to order a computer...?

It's sad, to me, that jewelry sales continue to flag, but I agree that a certain amount of that is based on the lousy items the Q's buyers persist in putting out there... There's also absolutely no middle ground with QVC's jewelry anymore... With VERY few exceptions, everything offered is either glorified costume (third tier and fake gemstones along with mystery metals) or is priced off the charts... Perhaps an infusion of mid-range semi-precious gemstones would sell but the steady diet of spinel and bronzo, which perhaps isn't going over so well, together with very pricey jewelry, which isn't going to sell in volume, clearly isn't going to garner the jewelry business they once did... Again, it all gets back to variety, a reality to which the Q bosses seem oblivious to or in denial of...

I used to like to watch Silver Style on Sunday. During the holidays you could buy sets of earrings, bracelets, or chains that could be split up and given as gifts. But the jewelry sold these days has such a big emphasis on designers which adds to the price. I would get an occasional piece of Southwestern jewelry but Carolyn Pollack's line is now out of my price range.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

On 8/29/2014 katiescarlett said:
On 8/10/2014 stevieb said:

So the Q is doing well everywhere but Japan and here... Since electronics did so well there, maybe they could schedule their marathons there and give US a break... Looks like prices were up at HSN too and even more than here. Of course, I'm not sure HSN uses shipping as a means to garner revenue to the same extent as reportedly does QVC...

Personally, I'm not surprised that electronics are not the big seller they'd like them to be, given they're big ticket items. I firmly believe QVC has so saturated their base with them that there's little room for growth in this area... And let's face it, how many 'drive by' customers are going to drop everything to order a computer...?

It's sad, to me, that jewelry sales continue to flag, but I agree that a certain amount of that is based on the lousy items the Q's buyers persist in putting out there... There's also absolutely no middle ground with QVC's jewelry anymore... With VERY few exceptions, everything offered is either glorified costume (third tier and fake gemstones along with mystery metals) or is priced off the charts... Perhaps an infusion of mid-range semi-precious gemstones would sell but the steady diet of spinel and bronzo, which perhaps isn't going over so well, together with very pricey jewelry, which isn't going to sell in volume, clearly isn't going to garner the jewelry business they once did... Again, it all gets back to variety, a reality to which the Q bosses seem oblivious to or in denial of...

I used to like to watch Silver Style on Sunday. During the holidays you could buy sets of earrings, bracelets, or chains that could be split up and given as gifts. But the jewelry sold these days has such a big emphasis on designers which adds to the price. I would get an occasional piece of Southwestern jewelry but Carolyn Pollack's line is now out of my price range.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Hi KS---yes the Q used to have some very nice Fashion jewelry that made great gifts---earrings in a tiny purse, or a necklace or bracelet with an angel or heart dangle, a set of hoop earrings....cute stuff---Now its overpriced costume jewelry or jewelry that is way too expensive for gift giving....

Super Contributor

HSN lost my business when they made an obvious change in direction to target and cater to the younger consumer. It seems they could have done that without alienating my age group.

Now for the Land of Qz, ITA about the jewelry. I do love fashion jewelry but haven't been WOWed since Nolan Miller. And truly, I'd open that box and sometimes audibly say "WOW!"

Then there are the electonics. Basically no return policy. I was burned on that, learned by experience to buy at Costco.

I still keep stupidly trying to buy clothing in Qz, (stupid stupid stupid Bird!) which, by requirement of Qz, must be made to fit a person much shorter than myself, which still has a standard of short-sheeted pockets, no pants hems, too-short tops (I hate seeing that crotch highlighted by their short tops, especially on overweight women) too-short 3/4 length sleeves that bunch up uncomfortably in the elbow on a person taller than 5'2" etc. Cuts that make the price fit, not the body.

Kitchen things are still a draw for me, but shipping can often quench interest. I prefer Qz to any other shopping channel, though, and CS is pretty darn good. - Bird

Super Contributor

On 8/17/2014 stevieb said:On 8/17/2014 KDenn said:

Agreed. I like Antonella, but in small doses. The cackling and gushing gets to be a bit much and when they team any of the hosts with their esteemed buyer, that's almost guaranteed to be a very abbreviated viewing experience for me... more so when the host is one I can only take in small doses in the first place.

I hadn't seen her for a long long time and was surprised by the very heavy makeup, the thick eyeliner and much-too-long fake lashes. I do like her, please don't get me wrong, but I just wish Qz would enhance their hosts' appearance, not, well, pile it on like they do. - Bird