Trusted Contributor

S/H on Poo Pourri is 25-30% of the price?

What happened to the $3 S/H on light items? I was looking at the Poo Pourri- one set cost $18 & the other was $22. S/H was $5.50 each. I also noticed the S/H on a nail polish set was $3. I think that would cost more to mail since it is heavier and nail polish is hazardous due to being flammable. Is it just beauty items that have the $3 S/H? I didn't order based solely on the shipping cost. I wonder how many people don't order just because of the shipping cost? I know it's a factor for me. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for shipping but in this case I think it's way too high for these items. Just my opinion....

Honored Contributor

Re: S/H on Poo Pourri is 25-30% of the price?

It seems they've been slipping in higher s/h charges on us doesn't it.  It can't cost that much to send out things like bathroom sprays just saying. 

Regardless, wouldn't this product make great stocking stuffers?  I know I'd love to find poo sprays in my stocking.

Honored Contributor

Other than adding .50, I don't think the shipping has changed.

I wouldn't give these as a gift or want them given to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how the big  does it for free and so fast too???????????

Honored Contributor

All the way back to when I first started to shop (1960's), inexpensive items cost way too much to ship whether I wanted something from LLBean or Lillian Vernon or some other catalog, so I just used the ctalogs the way I use th Internet and tv someotimes -- I get ideas and then shop locally unless the total price is still low enough to be okay.

I'm not sure, but I do think the $3 shipping at QVC only applied to a few things.  I've seen it on my beauty orders and on the two Denim and Co. orders I've had.  My most expensive shipping charges this year were for a broom and for a Dooney, but both were items exclusivre to QVC and I didn't want similar, so I paid the price.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

i think it is unfair to compare the two,, lbut let's examine it.

• Amaon has many watrehouses across the country versus a handful that QVC has, meaning the orders can arrive at customer homes much more quickly after shipping due to the proximity of the warehouses.
  • Amazon has very little marketing expenses versus QVC.
  • QVC maintains a television studio, teleivision network, and must pay the overhead of these, including pay for hosts, models, satellite fees, and pay cable and satellite providers to carry their channel.
  • Amaon intentionally undercuts pricing on items, including selling things at a loss, in order to cause other business (many local) to shut down; they then raise the prices even higher as there is no competition left.
  • Amazon does not offer "free" shipping; they require either a hefty annual fee (and then require minimums on cert tpes of items) or require a minimum purchase in order to eliminate the shipping costs; these minimums mean that peoiple end up buying more merchandise than they had intended.

If you like Amazon, great.  I spend a lot with them, but do not pretend that they are these great altruistic retailers who care about you.  T/hey have just figured out how to milk money out of you without you realizing it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

i think it is unfair to compare the two,, lbut let's examine it.

• Amaon has many watrehouses across the country versus a handful that QVC has, meaning the orders can arrive at customer homes much more quickly after shipping due to the proximity of the warehouses.
  • Amazon has very little marketing expenses versus QVC.
  • QVC maintains a television studio, teleivision network, and must pay the overhead of these, including pay for hosts, models, satellite fees, and pay cable and satellite providers to carry their channel.
  • Amaon intentionally undercuts pricing on items, including selling things at a loss, in order to cause other business (many local) to shut down; they then raise the prices even higher as there is no competition left.
  • Amazon does not offer "free" shipping; they require either a hefty annual fee (and then require minimums on cert tpes of items) or require a minimum purchase in order to eliminate the shipping costs; these minimums mean that peoiple end up buying more merchandise than they had intended.

If you like Amazon, great.  I spend a lot with them, but do not pretend that they are these great altruistic retailers who care about you.  T/hey have just figured out how to milk money out of you without you realizing it.

@KYToby

You are very wrong!  They care very much about me........and treat me with the utmost respect!

Maybe if the Q didn't spend so much on silly video's of their hosts/shows  and products, so many extra tv channels , hiring unnessary product people,  like Gary of D&C or that new gal on Diamonique shows  and that Gilli  gal!....that are unnessary ect,ect  and all the other useless things they do all day they would be able to pass the savings on to us customers.We only need 1 host not a host and a "whatever"

Amazon has always been good to me. I am amazed that I can order 1 doggie toy for $1.50 at midnite and somehow it is here in the morning 9am..lol shipped for free large orders give me the same wonderful results  !!!.  They have no restrictions on Amazon prime. the fee I pay for it more than makes up for any  shipping costs I would have had to pay in a very short time. I have been a huge buying  customer for over 13  yrs  Their CS is excellent and never argue with me ,like the CS does here. If I say something happened to my product,they apologise ,they promptly refund the full amt. without me even  having to return it!!!  They do not tell me, I am lying, like a QVC, CS rep told me today  because I called about  receiving an empty box. For 20 yrs  I have  spend way,way over $1000 monthly,many times over $2000, once $4,000 (btw I was credited for paying only  $4.00 my bank had to fight for me to fix it)  my  bill is  always paid in full and I even make advance payments  here at the Q . I do not appreciate CS telling me,  I am lying about an empty box and that  it doesn't look good for me because I want a refund.!!!!.

Edited to add...

For example: I just bought 3 lovely ponchos from that big A,  at a price of $13.00 each,no shipping and got them the very next morning ...here they were $60 each  (same)  and  with  the slow shipping,  just maybe  I might have  gotten  them in time to wear them next spring!!!      Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

QVC's cost of doing business is not my concern.  The only thing I care about is where I can shop for less money to get what I want.

QVC pricing,  s/h charges are out of control---it is no longer on my radar to even browse.

Honored Contributor

Over the years there have been quite a few "little things" or "sale/clearance" items I've passed up buying from QVC that I would have bought had the shipping not been so high in proportion to the prices of the items.

The only loser has been QVC, because in most cases it wasn't at all something I actually needed/couldn't live without, so not purchasing it didn't "hurt" me. In other instances I just bought from Amazon.

I don't expect QVC to wholesale lose money on shipping all the time, but other shopping channels manage to give freebies and discounts, as do other strictly online retailers. And only the very foolish would put an item on "sale" for $20 and charge $5-7 shipping plus tax, making the actual cost of the "sale" item closer to $30 - believing that their customers are so dim that they would actually believe they got a bargain.

But the cost of s&h is "built in" to an item, meaning the price is no bargain? If QVC sells an item for $50 and adds s&h (or even includes it) and another website sells the same item for $40 with free shipping - how is that not still less money out of my pocket, which is the bottom line.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

I buy a product like poo pourri at my local grocery store.  It is drops, not spray and works fine.