Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta’s Tomato Plants

[ Edited ]

Roberta's might be using Burpee seed, hence the label; a lot of growers do the same do the same with Proven Winners.  Or, they might be reselling plants purchased from Burpee's.  Either way, why not purchase locally?

Trusted Contributor

I watch the garden shows for inspiration and because I love flowers.

I then go to Home Depot to buy the same type of flowers at a third of the price or less.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy from Roberta's anymore. Never received plants that didn't look half dead with leaves and dirt leaking out of the box.....

Esteemed Contributor

I received my tomatoes order today and they are definitely a Burpee's product.  They arrived well packed, green and healthy.  Now I just have to wait for spring to return so I can get them planted.

As a note, the QVC price was $21.98 for the six plants including shipping.  The same plants direct from Burpee's are $18.95 for three of the Atlas plus $18.95 for three of the Bushsteak plus $10.95 S&H.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp Wow, that's a big difference in price!  I received my Roberta's/Burpee tomato plants yesterday and they look pretty healthy.  My one complaint is that there was too much dirt spilled out, they need to perfect their containers.  I like the way my Cottage Farms flowers were packaged, no spillage.  

Honored Contributor

Roberta's makes it sound like the varieties they are selling are only available from them and that they are superior to what you can get anywhere else.  However, I would agree that shipping for Burpees plants is ridiculous.  I only buy seed from them.  Everything I bought from Robertas arrived dead.  I reported it, and they were out of my item, and a year later they sent me weeds as my replacement plants.  It was nothing like what I ordered or for the conditions the plant I had ordered. In fact, it looked exactly like the wild "daisies" I pull up in the yard.  After that I said never again.

Regular Contributor

This is such a ripoff! You can go to HD or Lowes for the same thing and cheaper. Not nice QVC!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StopTalking wrote:

This is such a ripoff! You can go to HD or Lowes for the same thing and cheaper. Not nice QVC!

@StopTalking   Neither my Lowe's nor the nearby HD offer the varieties I ordered and received.  I also cannot buy tomato plants for under $4 each, not even the ubiquitous Better Boy or Early Girl varieties.

Perhaps your box stores carry them; in what state/area are you located?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Contributor

ThRe: Roberta’s Tomato Plants

Many variety can be purchased locally and when possible, I would suggest doing that as you can pick the plants that look best that way. There are however varieties that aren't carried locally like the heirlooms which I buy thru QVC. The key has been not planting too soon as temps do impact their growth. QVC holds the shipping until it is deemed safe to plant for your zone but sometimes even then the temps outside can be tricky. Even when you do everything right, plants can die. I have never had an issue with QVC refunding for dead plants when that happens. The box stores will refund for dead plants but you have to bring in the plant and the receipt which in can't always remember t suppor where I put the receipt. With QVC, it's a phone call only=simple.
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone received their 2021 neefsteak tomatoes offered in Feb? We're continue to wait (zone 4) for our plants. Said to arrive by 6/5. Still nothing. Can anyone relate?