Valued Contributor

Just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks receiving my Roberta's tomato plants with BURPEE'S labeling was strange? I can buy Burpee plants within walking distance of my house, but I fell hook, line and sinker for the gorgeous, huge tomatoes sold on QVC "from Roberta's."

Also, I went to the Roberta's site on QVC , after the fact, to read the four 1-star reviews (ouch!) and they won't come up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Roberta’s Tomato Plants

I don't see any Roberta 's tomatoes with any reviews.  I don't know how it would be possible for someone to have received the product, grown them to the point where they could've written a review of the mature product. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Can't resist your posting............here's the story that I've noticed....

Last year I ordered couple of cherry tomato plants from Burpee....they were the sickest things with thread like stems.  Gave them a little water and love = trashed them - not worth the price of fertilizer.  Never buy from them again.

This year Roberta is offering some   (some) plants from PROVEN WINNERS = the best you can buy.  If buy from PW website shipping can be expensive due to 4" pots of dirt.

You do get free shipping buying through Roberta  - good plants and good deal.

PW plants are expensive so "R" absorbing the shipping.... doesn't look like a deal for them.   Perhaps smaller pots 2 inch instead of 4 - I don't know.

I think they just love being a regular on TV   LOL

Finally - I'm convinced "R" raises nothing - they just make deals based on their access to TV QVC.  I ordered the air plants - after a month I cancelled the order - no shipment received.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't see any Roberta 's tomatoes with any reviews.  I don't know how it would be possible for someone to have received the product, grown them to the point where they could've written a review of the mature product. 

Keep looking. It's there. Also, I wasn't referring to any specific time period. I was looking for Roberta's beefsteak tomato reviews in general, bc that's what I ordered. Frankly, I'm not sure how you missed them. There are two. The autoship has no reviews, the other has four 1-star reviews, just as I stated. 

Valued Contributor

The 1 star reviews just came up, with a 5th added.

Honored Contributor

Do some of you not have access to tomato plants locally so you can see what you are getting?  Any named tomato variety will be the same plant no matte where you buy it.  

But buy locally and see what you are getting. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Do some of you not have access to tomato plants locally so you can see what you are getting?  Any named tomato variety will be the same plant no matte where you buy it.  

But buy locally and see what you are getting. 

@Sooner   I was wondering the same thing. We have so many nurseries around here to buy flowers and vegetable plants.

Honored Contributor

One year I planted tomato plants when it was still cool, and planted more like them when it had warmed up a week or two later as I remember.

The poor little plants I set out when it was cool never did catch up with the ones planted when it was really warm and the ground had warmed up.  

I think maybe that's a big key to tomatoe--they need warm ground to really do well. 

Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Keep looking. It's there. Also, I wasn't referring to any specific time period. I was looking for Roberta's beefsteak tomato reviews in general, bc that's what I ordered. Frankly, I'm not sure how you missed them. There are two. The autoship has no reviews, the other has four 1-star reviews, just as I stated. 

@Ifeelwicked    I guess I was looking at the auto ship.  I checked again and see all the reviews.  They were all written recently and are comments on the condition of the plants when they arrived.

If you can't see them, you might try a different browser.  I'm using Chrome for Android. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Ifeelwicked, I know when I've purchased tomatoes locally I'm hard pressed to find more than five or six of the most common varieties. And they often seem to have other living things on them or flying around them. 

I know when I've purchased from Robert's or Burpee I don't seem to have a bug problem. Even if Robert's gets their plants from Burpee I think they're sold on QVC for less than directly from Burpee, though I haven looked at their site this year.