Respected Contributor

Why people write bad reviews giving it a one star rating on an item they have not purchased and it is then published by Q for the  item concerned.

Just seen a new item with with 4 reviews - one good review purchased by writer and 3 one star reviews not purchased by writers.  The item overall then has a 2 star listing unfairly.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Reviews - Do Not Understand

@dulwich   I don't understand that either.  However, I have read reviews that are marked that they were not purchased, but in reading the reviews they obviously were purchased.  I think possibly when you're writing the review from your phone or iPad that you can't mark that you own it, and it defaults to that you don't.  I may be wrong about that, but it seems like I've read it here.

I do know you're right, though, and it's irritating when you read someone saying they don't own it but don't like it for a certain reason.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@dulwichThat's one of the many reasons I look at reviews lots of places with a jaundiced eye.

Yesterday I read a review for a top.  It was the only review for that item and the rating was a one -  because the iem was not a petite and the sleeves were too long.  Those long sleeves had been the very first thing I noticed when I looked at the picture, so I consider that a worthless review even though thr writer said she'd purchased it.

By the by -   here on the Forums, thatr same top had received several very positive pists which was the reason I even bothered to lookat the picture and that review.

But I have trouble with reviews elsewhere, too.  One edxample -  I know Amazon verifies purchases, but I quarantee you I've rerad many book reviews by purchasers who read nothing mote than the book jacket.  Sorry -  worthless for my decision making.

I've pretty much gone back to buying the way I difd when the Q was new -  I use my own judgement as much as possible.  I know it'sd better for me than even hundreds of posts I've read here.  I've started to keep my own personbal IGNORE list when I can antici[ate what soneobe will say even withput reading the post!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

Why people write bad reviews giving it a one star rating on an item they have not purchased and it is then published by Q for the  item concerned.

Just seen a new item with with 4 reviews - one good review purchased by writer and 3 one star reviews not purchased by writers.  The item overall then has a 2 star listing unfairly.  

@dulwich 

Many of us just dont understand this either....All we can do is report them and hope they are deleted. Thats what I did with a Jim Shore review where the reviewer did NOT purchase the item and her review was "bring more...."  the stars weren't favorable. QVC DID remove that review after I reported it! BUT it shouldn't have been posted in the first place...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

My favorite is when it gets a one star because the price was too high (and they didn't purchase it.)

Respected Contributor

@Spurt   I did report the three reviews.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

The fault lies with QVC for accepting these reviews. They are so picky about who they accept but it's fine to accept 3 who didn't even purchase it?

Honored Contributor

I always read the reviews of items I'm interested in buying.  What gets me is when a low rating is given because they didn't like the color, or it was 3/4 sleeves instead of long sleeves or some other feature that would be easy to detect from the description.  I just ignore those ratings.

Super Contributor

I know what you mean. I accidently checked that I hadn't purchased an item once and I see someone has indicated some reviews must have been written by owners, so maybe some have made that same mistake?

Although, I have read some that have posted very early - before a garment's debut and they don't really speak to the item and are even crabby! What gives?

I just wrote a review and, even if you check "no" you haven't received the item, what about where they ask you to check "I confirm that this review is based on my personal experience and is my genuine opinion..." ?

Sure, your review is your genuine opinion, but they also ask you to confirm that your review is based on your personal experience. To me that means your personal experience of the item you are reviewing. Or am I making too much of a leap?

Respected Contributor

If it’s a thoughtful review of the design, I don’t have a problem with a nonbuyer weighing in. Sometimes, reading about why someone did not buy something can be helpful.