Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 966
Registered: ‎02-10-2013

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

[ Edited ]

Not much has changed except the variety of new posts; they are very limited and some days barely change throughout the day.   People used to critique and evaluate the hosts even when I started posting years ago ; lest we forget berating Lisa Robertson (still ongoing), JT, SK and her yoga pants, Albany, Jackie (or was it Jacqui), and others over the years. Crying out about prices or quality, it was all there.  I think the problem lies with that fact there are not so many new posts therefore the same stuff simmers.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,631
Registered: ‎06-04-2012

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?


@KathyM23 wrote:

I have been noticing New Posters with a first post that is a complaint about something or other.  I think they are started just to start argumentative responses.  Seems like there were several in the last couple days.  I don't think they are posters that intend to add to the board in a good way if at all but just want to mess with the rest of the board members who do enjoy this forum.


@KathyM23 

 

Agree wholeheartedly about some new posters that complain and run with no intentions of being part of this community.  To post to be contentious and pot stirring seems so petty and a silly way to spend your time.

 

It appears they like being a bully.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,631
Registered: ‎06-04-2012

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?


@HisElk1 wrote:

IMO, they sure aren't what they were like back in the "Shop Talk" or "Viewpoints" days.  If memory serves, there was even an area we could chat live and many of us did.

 

It was fun for the most part.  However, this was back in early 2000.  Alot has changed since that time.  I recall some of the posters' names but many have left and some passed away.



@HisElk1 wrote:

IMO, they sure aren't what they were like back in the "Shop Talk" or "Viewpoints" days.  If memory serves, there was even an area we could chat live and many of us did.

 

It was fun for the most part.  However, this was back in early 2000.  Alot has changed since that time.  I recall some of the posters' names but many have left and some passed away.


@HisElk1 

 

When you think of it early 2000's was nearly a quarter of a century ago, yikes!

 

Times sure have changed in most if not all arenas.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,322
Registered: ‎05-18-2017

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?


@rockygems123 wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

I have been noticing New Posters with a first post that is a complaint about something or other.  I think they are started just to start argumentative responses.  Seems like there were several in the last couple days.  I don't think they are posters that intend to add to the board in a good way if at all but just want to mess with the rest of the board members who do enjoy this forum.


@KathyM23 

 

Agree wholeheartedly about some new posters that complain and run with no intentions of being part of this community.  To post to be contentious and pot stirring seems so petty and a silly way to spend your time.

 

It appears they like being a bully.

 


@rockygems123 @KathyM23  - I've noticed the "new" posters that start negative threads putting down the Q. I can't imagine being a new poster on a forum and starting off with such a negative thread.  Makes me wonder if they are really new posters?  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 40,224
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

Forum topics that seem innocuous can generate some VERY strong opinions.

 

A few years back someone asked about potluck ... or casseroles ... or something to that effect.

 

Some people said they'd "never" eat a dish if they didn't know the ingredients.  They would just thank the person and then throw it in the garbage.

 

Others were raging and practically foaming at the mouth about this and that, and were insulted even though this was a hypothetical casserole.

 

Good thing we don't discuss religion or politics here ... whoa!  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,409
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

Many years ago there was a group of us that had imaginary bus trips etc.   It was such fun.  New Years Eve pot banging . can't remember who started that.   .. Mink Bunny was involved.    Wish I could remember more.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,586
Registered: ‎07-10-2011

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

[ Edited ]

One good think I liked way back over the years is that Posters were able to exchange email addresses and phone numbers. I also remember some Posters met each other. Don't know if any of them are still here and if they still keep in touch.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,157
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

I do!  And there were many more posters.  There was energy and vitality in the board.  

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,311
Registered: ‎09-29-2015

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?


@Junebug54 wrote:

Many years ago there was a group of us that had imaginary bus trips etc.   It was such fun.  New Years Eve pot banging . can't remember who started that.   .. Mink Bunny was involved.    Wish I could remember more.  


@Junebug54 , regarding the NYE pot banging, it could have been a poster who went by 'Bairn' maybe.  That's what comes to mind, however, I could be wrong.  They were some fun times IMO.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,079
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

I don't know if it's the moderators who keep people away because they delete the mean posts. So maybe more mean people are not posting?

Those who are entertained by talking about hosts in a critical not helpful way, or other posters, or politics, or religion?Let's hope.

 

I think for me anyway I can relate to people staying away because there are so many outright mean and argumentative no matter what the thread is about.

It's also not "fun" to start a new thread because as some have joked, people will argue about

well, I'll start a new one-will argue about a banana!

 

I definitely do not remember the jumping on posters who start a post or just participate in a thread. It is like "the mean sport." These are the things that make me often think about not returning at times. it does seem pervasive more than I remember. Or when a poster starts a thread and is mean to  anyone who disagrees.

 

But maybe it has always been this way. For whatever reason, there are people who get a kick out of trying to be the meanest snarkiest most negative poster of the forums I guess.

 

No, it doesn't have to be all sweetness and "rainbows and unicorns" as some like to say, again putting down complaints of meaness.

It is just so refreshing and inviting when posters are respectful even if they disagree. I know we are all human and don't always post or reply as we would like, myself included for sure, but to respond negatively all the time is really not fun at all.

 

We really do help to make the world we live in whether it be here online or in a nursing home, at hospitals, work, a store or restaurant or alone or in families. I am always amazed at how someone can make my day just by a kind word or deed  or help to make it miserable by

just the opposite. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"