Esteemed Contributor

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

[ Edited ]

I'm still enjoying the forums—I just streamline my browsing to only four or five categories and scroll on past thread topics that are potentially contentious, not of interest to me, or started by posters I recognize as frequent troublemakers. Occasionally, of course, I'll still end up encountering petty arguments or outlandish accusations/complaints, but that's bound to happen in a forum with a lot of varying personalities. After a few moments of eye rolling, I'm on my way back to something more entertaining...  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I remember way back when we were discussing live during a presidential debate. We all had varying views but we were civil & polite & it was nice to hear different viewpoints & why they felt this way. They were very nice posters & it was fun. Today, that would be almost impossible to have a civil convo. The mod did come in and end our thread & we were disappointed but understood we were breaking the rules but there was no nastiness & we were all quite cordial.
Trusted Contributor

This could possibly be a case of nostalgia and looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

I do agree that the forums used to be busier and that made it funner.I've read the forums a long time and only recently, in the past couple of years, started to post and there was always nastinest but much more kindnest and I think the same applies today.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Esteemed Contributor

I will say that is therapeutic to have a place to come and vent if you need to, anonymously.  And when that rant is about a host or products, or whatever, and others share your viewpoint, that can be a kind of support in a way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I remember a lot of nastiness back then too.  Much worse than today.

It wasn't all sweetness and light.

@geezerette  I read for years before I started Posting. Things were real nasty especially on the weekends. I couldn't believe some of the things that were written. The way some Posters treated each other. Never thought about getting involved back then but I finally did but chose only but I wanted to Post on and it took me a few years to get involved.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

@beckyb1012   I agree.

The forum "Viewpoints" was tumultuous during the 2008 election and the aftermath.  There were awful things posted.

I have been here for decades and I don't remember when I would call the Q board "fun."

@Mersha  those were the days!!

Trusted Contributor

I love coming here every day to see what everyone is talking about. Sometimes I will start a seemingly innocent post but arguments come up over the strangest things. I will continue to come here and avoid the arguments, as some others have said here. I was very glad they decided not to take the forums away when they threatened. I learn so much here.Heart

Respected Contributor

I get tired of the suggestion that I need my head examined because I enjoy purchasing things from QVC I will use and enjoy instead of rifling through the racks at Marshalls.
Respected Contributor

I have been noticing New Posters with a first post that is a complaint about something or other.  I think they are started just to start argumentative responses.  Seems like there were several in the last couple days.  I don't think they are posters that intend to add to the board in a good way if at all but just want to mess with the rest of the board members who do enjoy this forum.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1    Unfortunately, some people can get awfully nasty and hurtful on these boards.   I am getting to the point where I don't want to post anything any longer