Honored Contributor

Remember when the forums were fun?

We chatted about fashions(Denim and Co.,Louis De), Joan Rivers).

Jewelry and fun things for the home.

When did it get so bad? The posts have become vicious and mean and belittling.

Can't we respect the host for the people they are? And just be kind?

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

Re: Remember when the forums were fun?

[ Edited ]

Some just seem to want to argue.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think part of the issue is that although there are a lot of long time posters here, many no longer shop here and are very clear about it.  
That leads to fewer shopping posts and the ones that are started end up with someone posting why they would never buy it, it's cheaper somewhere else or they don't like it.  That didn't happen in the early days.  

Valued Contributor

Know who is in charge of this?  We, the posters, are.  We can change this.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree,  the subject matter can be contentious..whether denigrating hosts or the condition of our country  (mods are quick to ferret out potential dissension).

Unfortunately, there are such challenges in our country today it is best to avoid these topics all together if wanting "fun".  I think many come here to get a break from the reality and indulge in light conversation. Some come for prayers, advice, or sharing.  Those that take the high road enlighten us with their acumen of classic movies, architecture, interior design, etc. Remember @lolakimono ....such a bright light, always supportive and positive.  We can control/select what we what to contribute or what we want to read. 

Yes, I remember the Judith Ripka group when she was the designer and, of course, L.D.O.  Good times and good products.  It was fun and still is...just be selective and consider your shares!  I enjoy the forum and have learned from and laughed with many of the forum members.

Honored Contributor

'Fun' is not the adjective I would use really....

Enjoyable, informative, helpful are how I would have always described these forums.

I still find it to be that way for the most part.

I get the greatest recipes, great suggestions on products and much more... just like I always have.

Why come at all if you are not enjoying it?

Esteemed Contributor

Over in the beauty section, the board went so rapidly, it was hard to keep pace.

Overall, though, I learned a lot! And (no offense meant) learned a lot of things not to do!

I appreciate differing viewpoints, and we sure get that here!

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

We chatted about fashions(Denim and Co.,Louis De), Joan Rivers).

Jewelry and fun things for the home.

When did it get so bad? The posts have become vicious and mean and belittling.

Can't we respect the host for the people they are? And just be kind?

The forums always were contentious at times. I remember little to no moderation in 2008 when I first started posting. Show hosts were picked apart more back then than today. There was a pretty host Patty who was ripped apart and accused of all sorts of things after she lost weight. Politics were freely discussed and off shoot boards were formed to discuss this board. Kindness? There are many posters here that are very kind. You just need to avoid the contentious threads and live and let live.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's fairly the same as it's always been just not as many people posting.  I still enjoy it for the most part.  Sometimes critiques of certain hosts are justified, sometimes not.  It's all in what conversations you like to partake in.  I have learned about a lot of things on here that I would not have necessarily known about.   It's usually the same people who cause the problems so you just stay clear of those threads, IMO.

Honored Contributor

The forums are what you make them. Ignore the troublemakers, you control what you read, and how you react to it. Some posters just aren't satisfied with a pleasant place to spend some time. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan