Valued Contributor

Re: Really miss the "old" QVC! Do you?

Yes, I do.  I miss the quality. I see a difference in clothing material.  I see a difference in the quality of Christmas decorations and lack of variety. I see steel and bronze jewelry and not gold.  I wonder if price points are governing the manufacture of QVCs products.  I see too much time spent  (in my opinion) on the same products (KitchenAid; Vitamix; Dyson; and some folding thing that goes on the windshield) and I wonder if the direction of QVC is to act like Home Depot or Lowes. They are large enough to dictate, to a manufacturer, the specifications for the version of the product that is sold in their store. I have lost interest in their programming.   There is no "buzz" for me.  I miss my favorite host and all she brought to QVC.  I am still buying from QVC but mainly from their website, as I would Amazon.    

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

People make changes, companies change, on and on.  It is what it is.  I've found many other places to shop online that I'm happy with.  I like QVC for some things.  Let go and move on!

I've moved on yrs. ago from QVC.  Time was my QVC purchases were 2+ items per month.  In 2015 my total was just 2 items for the whole yr.

I'm not much of an internet shopper (don't have to be) but when I do internet shop, QVC is not my go to place to look.

So not watching QVC, b/c it is so boring & repetitive w/same old products is a + for me & stopped my impulse buying.

Respected Contributor

@curlywhitedog you and I have the same experience, right down to the year we started watching. I just don't need or want so much stuff and the newness of the experience has worn off. I still buy but only in a few areas. The new shipping policy and quality issues have slowed down my purchases. The only clothes have been reorders because the $10 try on cost and inconsistent sizing is too steep to take chances. As they age out of the system, I will be done with that category. I have purchased makeup to get the brushes (a good deal) but once I have the brushes I tend to reorder elsewhere. But I find their linens to still be excellent in price and quality and continue to love all my Cooks Essentials.

The Q has changed, as all businesses must to survive, and I do miss all the variety of products and some of the hosts that have moved on (some not at all), as well as the great silver shows on Sunday mornings. But I was different then too, lol, younger and needed/wanted more than I do now. Hate the hard sell and hour long infomercials but it must bring in $. I think it's ok to miss what we once enjoyed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I too miss the old days, and don't let anyone make you fee foolish for doing so. Honestly, when

ever anyone is even slightly critical of QVC. some ,"retail expert," swoops in to tell you to get over it. 

Isn't that the truth, often accompanied by the mantras: 'it must be working for them or they'd change' and/or 'it if isn't meeting your needs, change the channel'...  Well, I have changed the channel, though I'm not sure that's part of their oft touted 'businness plan'. I'd assume they'd want to keep people watching... As for it 'working for them', I honestly don't care. I watch with the eye of a customer and viewer. I'm not a Q executive nor am I a stockholder. In light of that, my shopping and viewing experience is MY bottom line, not their financial status. I'd also note that those same ten brands they've honed in on and repeat regularly are most likley not the only categories of products they could successfully sell and make money. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb - you said it! If the point is to sell items, it seems wiser to listen to the customers that "used" to buy from you and find out why they no longer do it. Telling people to "change the channel" or "move on" is counterproductive if a company wants to keep its customers. But hey, like you said, Stevieb, I don't have stock in the company and so I watch if there is something I find interesting and pass by on anything that I don't.
Super Contributor

Yes, I do miss the 'old' QVC and for most of the reasons already listed previously. I have been watching and purchasing since 1987, when QVC merged with CVN. It doesn't bother me that some of the hosts have left. They are not my 'friends', nor does it matter if they like, wear, or use a product. They are salespeople, period. I miss the variety of products that they used to sell. You could always count on finding something new and different and at reasonable prices. I miss the scrapbooking shows, where items used to sell out before you could dial the phone. I miss the Christmas shows when they used to sell a lot more and varied items, including much more jewelry. Now what they sell on TV, as far as jewelry goes, is practically nonexistent. I miss the sliver jewelry shows, and also the gold, when both were more affordable. Built quite a collection of sterling silver jewelry, and some 14 kt. gold pieces too. More bronze and stainless steel being sold now, though stainless steel is not such a bad thing. I find myself not seeing jewelry that wows me, though I really don't need any more, and I also inherited many pieces from my mother's QVC jewelry collection when she passed.I miss the Polish stoneware, which was replaced by TempTations. Was never big into buying clothing or shoes from them, and when I did, many items were returned due to sizing issues. I find myself purchasing less and less from QVC and watching less and less of QVC, because much of what they sell can be found at actual stores at better prices.

Occasional Contributor

I remember when they had kathy van zeeland handbags, i was on the craze, now they are available at walmart...i  even had the baby bag..all are donated now,  I miss craft day and collectable day when they had boyds bears etc.

Respected Contributor

Yes. It is especially disappointing that this year, QVC's 30th anniversary year, QVC disregards some of their longest institutions, by cancelling January Gem Day and California Gold Rush in favor of two generic jewelry events this month. An excellent marketing technique of holding California Gold Rush on the same day every year just thrown out because QVC doesn't honor their history. I wouldn't be surprised if they never mention their 30th Anniversary because it makes them seem "old" to all the younger customers they're trying to entice.

Super Contributor

I hate the way QVC is now, for several years actually!  Please let Joan Rivers rest in peace.  Continuing to sell her clothes, and talk like she is still here is creepy!!  All the female hosts are the same. I know some are tall, some are short, but basically they are all the same now!!  Its not real anymore!!  Hosts strutting around the set, dressed to the nines, and more interested in themselves than the customers.  

Super Contributor

I do, too...I started shopping with them in 1989. But thanks to the changes they've been implementing for the last few years (none of them good), in the end they've been saving me a ton of money. I now rarely shop with them...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren