Respected Contributor

Re: Really miss the "old" QVC! Do you?

I hate that they have a vendor rep with everysingle "paperclip" they sell.  I liked it better when they were burning the cheese in the T-Fal......Steve Colantuno was my very favorite along with Kathy L.   I enjoyed it back then even if it was absurd at times.......

All the phony air-kissing and hugging by the female hosts these days makes me crazy....it's so phony and contrived and I've even seen the "newbies" start doing it......what is it with women who feel the need to do this to every single human being they come in contact with??

Honored Contributor

I don't miss the old QVC -  I do miss the "old me."

I still like what I buy from QVC, but I buy very little nowadays -- mostly skincare.  I never bought much clothing here and that's still true.  Yet what I do buy (SG basics) are excellent buys when you do cost per wearing.

I used to buy a fair amount of gold and Honora and a very small bit of silver.  Now I don't, but I also don't buy jewelry any other place.  And that's kind of true for so many things now.While I just don't feel the need to buy new jewelry, I'm also not buying lothes much because I just don't care for many of the styles. Long tops, layers, droopy hems --those things wouldn't have looked good on me years ago when I was younger and firmer, but they are disastrous for me now.

So, for me, it's not that I've switched any kind of allegiance to QVC; I've just been working on living with what I have where I can and filling in for needs more than wants.  They just need to find buyers who still buy lots and lots the way I used to, but never will again.

Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

People make changes, companies change, on and on.  It is what it is.  I've found many other places to shop online that I'm happy with.  I like QVC for some things.  Let go and move on!

Must there always be a damper!!!

I also miss the old Q.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been watching QVC from just about the beginning. In the early days it was the greatest new thing, a catalog come to life with friendly hosts who had the gift of gab. The quality in Q was an important issue back then. However, with competition from other TV retail outlets and, more importantly, from Internet shopping, QVC made some obvious decisions, especially during our Great Recession. Going for cheaper, lower quality goods that most people could afford, getting rid of fine jewelry, adding cosmetics that are big money makers, and bringing in younger, hard-selling new hosts all seemed to be the new QVC. Those of us who were there from the start are not happy with these changes but as long as QVC is making tons of money, they won't care what we old-timers think.

Valued Contributor

I started watching QVC in 1991 so I go way back and yes, I do miss the old QVC.  I miss watching when the products were fresh and new and the hosts weren't quite so frenetic or childish.  I know I'm buying less, much less as a matter of fact but in the interest of full disclosure, it's not only because of the change in programming over the years but also because I just don't need much anymore.  I purchased a few things over the Christmas season, nowhere near what I used to purchase, but still, I did buy.  Returned two things so far, a D&C two piece French Terry pants and top set and the Judith Ripka TSV earrings which were a total impulse buy.  If I have ten other pairs of JR earrings that I don't already wear, I have twenty.

Not thrilled with the new S&H policy but it is what it is.  Yesterday's hooks and today's honeybells are of no interest to me, nor were any of Marie's New Year/New You stuff so overall, a bust for the first week of 2016.  The only TSV I might have considered was Laura Geller's but I already have a ton of her makeup which bears out what I said above, I just don't need much anymore.

Things changed and will continue to do so as QVC adjusts itself to the perceived/demonstrated needs of the customer.  They wanted the involvement of a younger demographic, hence the addition of social media and a QVC phone app.   I suspect that in another ten years here will be those who look back fondly on the last few years and say "yes, those were the days"...lol.

Maria

Honored Contributor

I too miss the old days, and don't let anyone make you fee foolish for doing so. Honestly, when

ever anyone is even slightly critical of QVC. some ,"retail expert," swoops in to tell you to get over it. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

No, I don't miss the "old" QVC.   But they did seem to have more variety years ago when  I started watching. 

Respected Contributor

@Colinka  I guess the only thing I miss is the Birkenstocks.  Thankfully, I did build quite a huge wardrobe of them before they stopped selling them.  Since they last forever, I'm fully stocked at least until I'm gone (and then some!).

Maybe one of the reasons we're buying less is because we've already acquired so much "stuff" over the years of TV shopping.  Also, I have so many more options now........other shopping channels, Amazon, etc., .....there's a lot of competition out there!

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

I've shopped QVC for twenty five years and I find it less and less inviting, especially with some of the host.  I use to never miss Monday night fashions, but now I rarely think of it.

When I buy it is usually online.

QVC may think they are fooling the viewers/buyers, but if they don't so something with some of the "younger" host they are going to spiral downward more and won't be able to stop the train wreck.

Regular Contributor

I think what really hurt(s) QVC is the ease of the internet.  Years ago I would keep QVC on all the time (like someone else wrote: as background noise).  Very addicting.....the anticipation of waiting for the next product they will air.  And waiting for the end of the show to see the recap.  (remember?)  Now....  I never have it on TV.  I will look at QVC.com and look at what interests me.  Many items that I might have looked and thought about buying on TV (because of the salles pitch) are now overlooked on QVC.com. Also, I can now search the internet for the same items selling for better and cheaper prices.  I'm sure the prices of gold and silver going up so high has really taken it's toll on the show too because I did buy a lot of jewelry back then.  Clothes are way too expensive and I do not find the quality to be any better than the department stores.  I personally am not a fan of the clothes they sell on QVC.  (except shoes and I usually find the same brands on different sites for much cheaper).  QVC is just too expensive and shipping prices are horrible. (espeically to return an item).  Bottom line:  I still can't stop looking...but my spending has dropped tremendously.