Honored Contributor

Re: Really miss the "old" QVC! Do you?

They seem to be "running" down hill more quickly than any place I have ever seen.

Contributor

I agree.  I miss the old QVC.  I bought a LOT!!! for years!  Now my buying is probably 5-10% of what I used to buy years ago.  I no longer watch QVC at all.  No show or host interests me anymore.  I will log on to qvc.com once a day to see what is being offered - 9 times out of 10 nothing interests me.  I will peruse the forums - which are completely boring anymore because you can't talk about anything and when you do someone comes on to defend QVC like they are related! 

I am guessing the people that are defending the Q and telling us to move on or change the channel (I really wish they would come up with some new ones!) do not remember or were not around for the old and once great QVC.  I remember great, new, exciting items. I remember waiting for the Today's Special Value - now it's very ho hum.

I do not know any of the new hosts - only the ones that have been on since the beginning - Jane Treacy, Rick, David, etc. 

If they are doing well - good for them.  I think they make their money from selling air time to vendors so they essentially are one long infomercial.  I can get that at 2:00 am in the morning - the television is loaded with them.  Boring. 

I don't know why people have to tell us to move on and change the channel - that is boring as well.  It's nice to reminisce from time to time.  I am a very occasional poster but a long time viewer of the forums.  The forums used to be fun and interesting and at times dramatic - lol!   Just my 2 cents. 

Contributor

How about the Thomas Pacconi ornaments at Christmas?  I didn't buy anything this past season.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to spend so much at the Q I'm surprised they have not sent me a letter or coupons or some kind of incentive to get me back. This shows they're not a company that has an interest in keeping valuable customers. I've gone elsewhere for most everything. With the Q I used to be a TV shopper. Not much now. It's changed, and as far as I'm concerned and my business, not for the better.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely do not miss the "old" QVC or any other "old" retailer's products.  What I do like about shopping in general is how I can so easily do comparison shopping.  I like unique too, but unique usually means overpriced.  I do that too sometimes.  Ugh. 

Valued Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I've been watching QVC from just about the beginning. In the early days it was the greatest new thing, a catalog come to life with friendly hosts who had the gift of gab. The quality in Q was an important issue back then. However, with competition from other TV retail outlets and, more importantly, from Internet shopping, QVC made some obvious decisions, especially during our Great Recession. Going for cheaper, lower quality goods that most people could afford, getting rid of fine jewelry, adding cosmetics that are big money makers, and bringing in younger, hard-selling new hosts all seemed to be the new QVC. Those of us who were there from the start are not happy with these changes but as long as QVC is making tons of money, they won't care what we old-timers think.

I agree that a lot of the goods are cheaper and lower quality, however, the prices are not cheaper.  Clothing lines such as Logo, QF are all expensive as far as I am concerned and the focus seems to be on high end cosmetics and skincare, electronics, handbags, shoes, some small appliances, and food.  And the TSV is not much of an "SV" any more.  Even lines I like, like Carolyn Pollack, are now more boutique styles whereas they used to be more affordable.  Yes, silver and gold have gone up in time, but there used to be at least affordable pieces.  But like many have echoed, they clearly still have many people shopping and buying.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

Yes, I do miss the 'old' QVC and for most of the reasons already listed previously. I have been watching and purchasing since 1987, when QVC merged with CVN. It doesn't bother me that some of the hosts have left. They are not my 'friends', nor does it matter if they like, wear, or use a product. They are salespeople, period. I miss the variety of products that they used to sell. You could always count on finding something new and different and at reasonable prices. I miss the scrapbooking shows, where items used to sell out before you could dial the phone. I miss the Christmas shows when they used to sell a lot more and varied items, including much more jewelry. Now what they sell on TV, as far as jewelry goes, is practically nonexistent. I miss the sliver jewelry shows, and also the gold, when both were more affordable. Built quite a collection of sterling silver jewelry, and some 14 kt. gold pieces too. More bronze and stainless steel being sold now, though stainless steel is not such a bad thing. I find myself not seeing jewelry that wows me, though I really don't need any more, and I also inherited many pieces from my mother's QVC jewelry collection when she passed.I miss the Polish stoneware, which was replaced by TempTations. Was never big into buying clothing or shoes from them, and when I did, many items were returned due to sizing issues. I find myself purchasing less and less from QVC and watching less and less of QVC, because much of what they sell can be found at actual stores at better prices.

I agree, I don't miss hosts except for the fact that they were more sane in their presentations, not screaming or pushing "many people are buying more than one" or "feel free to buy more than one" (gee, thanks), or "when it's gone, it's gone."  I never bought Polish stoneware, but I enjoyed watching it but not so the endless Temp-tations.  And forget clothes any more, the size inconsistencies are ridiculous, even within the same item number but different color.  Mary Beth Rowe is the classic host who touts consistency in sizing even between lines.  The truth is there is none!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I miss the days when philosophy was presented by Cristina and Bare Escentuals was presented by Leslie.  Of course, those changes had nothing to do with QVC and were internal to those companies.  But I do miss those presentations.

I also miss the days when QVC presented, as many of you have already said, a much greater variety of items instead of spending extraordinary amounts of time on just a few.   Even when I was working full-time, and watched only sometimes in the evenings or weekends, I still saw more variety than I do now when I could have the tv tuned to QVC all the time (but I don't since it's kind of pointless when it comes to seeing something different).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I've been shopping with QVC almost from the beginning and I love it more and more every year.  QVC and Amazon are my "go to" places to shop.  QVC is just one of many retailers, if they aren't selling what you need or want, there are many other places to shop. Most of the brands you mention are still here but of course they aren't selling the exact same items they sold 10 years ago.  QVC wouldn't still be in business if that were the case.  I don't keep old QVC receipts from years and years ago.  My guesstimate is that 7 years ago, I bought 2 things a month from QVC.  These days I buy 2-3 things a week.  And I rarely watch QVC on tv anymore. 

@chrystaltree

i know that i am buying more from qvc than ever before.

i dont watch it a lot, but that doesnt keep me from buying.

i suppose i cannot really say i "miss the old qvc," but i do miss some of the vendors that are no longer featured.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I certainly miss the old Q...  l miss the old vendors, the old hosts and the products they used to sell.  Some of these newer hosts are unbearable and impossible for me to watch (talking over the vendors, talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the product).  I think some of you may know who I'm referring to, but I can't call any names or the post would be deleted 'for being unkind'....     It's already happened today...