Trusted Contributor

Re: RFID wallets sales tactics

Placing the card in backwards doesn't completely rid someone of the risk that their card will be "scanned", but it just makes it harder.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately this is just the tip of the iceburg... but it does need to be addressed because you don't know when it's happening.  But also be very careful of on-line ordering and being hacked.  You can also be hacked via the ATM machines as well....

What I don't like are the quality of the wallets out there with RFID capability.  Card slots that are too small, Poor quality leather, wallets when full that don't close... etc. etc.  I finally found one I liked with a ton of room and decent (still not top quality) leather that I bought on-line.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I'm simply not worried about it, and yes, we now have those types of cards.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry--but wrapping my cards in aluminum foil sounds like a terrible idea to me.....You'd have to re-wrap with new foil everytime--and it certainly wouldn't fit into my wallet (it'd crunch, etc.).

I bought some credit card RFID "sleeves" on Amazon that were very highly rated and were much cheaper than QVC. I think it's a smart thing to do--that's very, very easy.

Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Why is it that it seems that every show host who presents an RFID protection wallet has had an identity theft incident? It seems to be more than a coincidence. Just wondering...

ETA: I believe RFID blockers are not necessary unless you have a "wave-and-pay" type card. 

They also need to stop confusing Identidy Theft with Credit Card Fraud. If someone steals your actual identity, it can be very difficult to clear up and take years and court battles to do it. If someone steals your credit card information, it can take literally minutes to clean up.

Credit card fraud happens way more often. I've had it happen twice and have had to get a new credit or debit card quite a few times over the last few years because it MIGHT have been compromise whenever a major business was hacked. Many of my friends have been victims of credit card fraud, but none have been victims of identify theft.

Frankly, the odds are higher than someone will get my credit card information from an online hack than from my wallet, especially since very few US cards even have RFID chips in them.

I totally agree with ChynnaBlue.  I believe they are exaggerating by using the term "identity theft" when they are simply talking about credit card fraud.  I certainly don't believe all of the hosts have been identity theft victims.  I think maybe 1 or 2 of them have.  Have they all experienced credit card fraud?  Probably.  It has happened to me, my mother, and quite a lot of people that I know.  If you use a card, it's likely to get compromised at some point.  It is enough of a pain in the neck when it happens to be worthy of their sales pitch, without the exaggeration of claiming to be identity theft victims.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Respected Contributor

I don't know a single person who has happen what the hosts claim, ad nauseum. Maybe they all know the same one person and that's who they are referring to. Lol.

I had my card # stolen once and Capital One was on it immediately and closed my acct and sent me a new card. I lost nothing. They actually picked up the fraud and called me to check where I was. The purchase was being made in another state. Also, if fraudulent charges show up, you just have to report it and you will be covered.
Honored Contributor

I just had credit card theft on an old card w/o the chip.  I rarely use this card, never carry it with me but it had 4 charges to the same place.  I called their phone # and learned it is a CC processor.  The card user had an email addy that started with "Josh"; told them that was not me, and with that little conversation, he removed it.  Of course if he wouldn't my CC company would.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Everything's a sales tactic of course although I do know several people that have had their cards hijacked.    And it can be a pain if you work out of town or travel a lot.

I only have one card but I do keep it in one of those sleeves.  They do not protect 100% but they do add a little extra protection.  

I'm guessing if you use duct tape it would have to be the metallic one not the patterened.   Also no way I'm using tinfoil, but for those who want to buy one of those space blankets and cut up, it's at least pliable.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Why is it that it seems that every show host who presents an RFID protection wallet has had an identity theft incident? It seems to be more than a coincidence. Just wondering...

ETA: I believe RFID blockers are not necessary unless you have a "wave-and-pay" type card. 

@handygal2 And I heard someone comment about the RFID blockers---even if they help while in your wallet, couldn't someone scan them when you take the card out to complete your purchase??????????

It does seem strange that many of the hosts would happen to experience identity theft---and since some mentioned that it happened when they were still in possession of their credit card, it makes you wonder whether their card was scanned, or a card was hacked when doing an online purchase at home....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

i use them and they work for me you really do not know who is out there. i do not carry the cc unless i am going to use it. for my debt card i only keep a couple hundred dollars in my account so they would really not get that much but i think this is a good id.