Respected Contributor

Well it only takes once to be a little more cautious.   Hackers will and maybe already have ways to scan the chips.  

I believe they can be scanned from a distance, so this would help if you're driving or walking around someplace.  Once you take the card out of course it won't help, but every little bit helps.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

Re: RFID wallets sales tactics

I was thinking the same thing myself.  I know identity theft happens, but not to so many people in one company.  And they sell these RFID items all the time, so why arent they using them?  It doesnt look good for any company, and once I start suspecting Im being cheated, I dont usually shop there again.  

Honored Contributor

@debc wrote:

Well it only takes once to be a little more cautious.   Hackers will and maybe already have ways to scan the chips.  

I believe they can be scanned from a distance, so this would help if you're driving or walking around someplace.  Once you take the card out of course it won't help, but every little bit helps.

Yes they do, that's what these wallets are for.  These things are useless if you have cards with the magnetic strip.    

Frequent Contributor

I just heard Rachel say that not all cards are RFID..Unfortunately, she then said that the new chip cards that must be inserted into the machines are RFID. WRONG. Those are not RFID. I wish someone would educate the hosts on which type of cards are RFID, so they dont randomly make untrue statements to make a sale!

Valued Contributor

I have never heard of someone getting their identity stolen by RFID.  What I have heard is huge data hacks and people getting their info stolen that way--Target, Anthem, TJ max, etc.

Not to say that it can't happen, of course it can.  But people are at far more risk of having their info stolen from a huge company than through their purse....  It's more efficient for the theives.  Why steal from one person at a time, when you can steal millions from a big company...

Respected Contributor

I'm not sold on all this hype either, but it has made me think more about safeguarding my cards.  I laugh everytime they show those videos of women practically giving their purses to the crooks.  LOL  Who does that??