Honored Contributor

REPLYING TO SUBJECTS IN FORUMS

Is it helpful to others (or not) to copy the quote before the reply?

Sometimes I think it makes my reply too long, but it does clarify the subject at hand.

Comments?

Trusted Contributor

Re: REPLYING TO SUBJECTS IN FORUMS

@Shanus  Personally I don't like it, especially when it's a long post or when it becomes quote after quote.  It just becomes to convoluted to read.  If you are reading the post from the start you don't need them.

Honored Contributor

When responding to a specific post, yes definitely.  But I'm not a fan of the unending quotes.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why ,but those long pages that has quotes of what others has posted,and then it keeps going on thread,after thread really does bother me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I think it's adequate to just do a call-out to the poster to whom you are replying by using the @.... option.

Honored Contributor

If I haven't read the original post I would have no reason to read subsequent comments.  So yes, repeating that quote post after post drives me nuts.  And I'll tell you what REALLY drives me nuts are those posters that quote the entire thread before they comment. 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I will want to reply to one of the responders, though.  In that case I might quote them so others will know what I'm talking about.  In any case, I usually just @  the person I'm responding to.  I don't care for the long quotes either.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

To me it only matters if you are responding to someone other than the first poster.  Responding to the first post is assumed, if you are responding to someone else it is helpful to quote that one.

I get cross eyed, and stop reading when there are multiple quotes in one posting (a quote within a quote within a quote).  How anybody can be bothered to make sense of that nonsense is beyond me.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Shanus, This is a very good question you asked,it has really bothered me so much to read that type of post.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When there's just a call out to the person you're replying to I go back to find that person's post and read it.  If it's directly above that's fine, but if it's quite a way back I think it needs to be quoted.  There is obviously no need to quote the OP.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau