Honored Contributor

Re: REPLYING TO SUBJECTS IN FORUMS

[ Edited ]

So much of this is personal preference.    I think I can understand all the points made on this thread.   

Regarding the comments about posting the reply above the quote:   To me, it's easier to completely miss the person's reply when they post it above the quoted text since the typical format is to reply below a quoted post.   

Another reason we can miss someone's post:    The software on this site makes it too easy for someone to post their response within the quoted "box" instead of clearly below it -- and then it's really hard to distinguish who said what.    The reply becomes a part of the quoted text. 

I find it's easier to read the reply when it's below the quote with a couple of blank lines to separate the two -- that's sort of a standard on most forums, but again can be personal preference.

I try to remember to remove some of the multiple quotes when I only want/need to display the most recent one to which I'm responding.    However, with some mobile devices it can be difficult to edit out and shorten the quoted text.   I think that helps explain why we sometimes see all the quotes-within-quotes-within-quotes. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Not forgetting that some posters have their settings as “newest first” (on top), which is backwards to what other posters have. So a post “right under” for some is “right above” for others. And when a topic is hot, a person may assume their post will end up right next to the one they’re replying to, but it actually might not, and it could work as a reply to several posts. I’ve seen that happen. 

Also, whether one uses a PC, or a tablet (and which kind) or phone to post matters. It might be very easy to cut, paste and highlight on a PC, less so on a tablet - and then factor in peoples’ knowledge (or lack of it) on how to do these things.

So, while I might not always love it (and will pass on by) I understand why people forward quotes too heavily - they don’t know any other way.

Reading a stand-alone comment where you have no clue who it’s in reply to annoys me much more than the quoting.  “Thanks, I’ll try that.” Who are you thanking and try what? “I don’t agree.” With who/what?  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

When I read a thread where some start copying others' posts, and re-copying posts, over and over, I lose interest and quit reading.  I agree that usually if there is a long string of re-posts, there's some kind of argument going on and I'm outta there!   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

I definitely DO like the response quoted it makes it easier to follow the conversation instead going back over the comments and trying to piece together what the person said.

In the event of a long post, perhaps just quoting the key points one is responding to and deleting the rest would help shorten the lengthy comments.......I guess the ease of this depends on the device you are using to post.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I do find it more than annoying, unnecessary and difficult to read when a post is quoted so many times w/ accompanying responses....The print gets so light down the page, I can no longer read it. At that point, I will stop re-quoting and just “@“ the post directly I wish to address. 

Honored Contributor

What really annoys me is when a poster posts something like this: "I really think that you're off-base."

Who? About what?

And even if the poster includes the name, I still have to go searching if I want it to make sense.

Please help the continuity of threads by quoting and including the name (preferably with notification).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Another reason we can miss someone's post:    The
 software on this site makes it too easy for someone to post their response within the quoted "box" instead of clearly below it -- and then it's really hard to distinguish who said what.    The reply becomes a part of the quoted text. 

@dooBdoo

When the reply is within the quoted text I have found the person replying tried to delete some of the text they are responding to (as I have done before).  When I want to reply but also want to delete some of the post I am responding to I first respond then go back and delete the quoted text not necessary to my response.  That way my response is not contained within the post I am responding to.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If the post is too long I won't use it, but it helps me to reply accurately if I can refer to the post I am replying to at a glance.

Contributor

On this past Saturday Mary mentioned on her show that on Tuesday A.M. there would be a big announcement on her Facebook page! I don't use Facebook so does anyone know what it is?

Super Contributor

Thank you, Forum Friends, for such an informative thread. I admit, I am guilty of " over quoting". This thread has given me insight into when and when not to quote a post before replying, and can help me, and other posters to become more efficient in our posting. OP, really a great thread!! Thanks much and . . .

Holiday Hugs to all. . .       

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!