Esteemed Contributor

Qurate's 2nd quarter 2019 financials

http://ir.qurateretail.com/news-releases/news-release-details/qurate-retail-inc-reports-second-quart...

Qurate Retail, Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2019 Financial Results

Qurate's 2nd quarter 2019 financial numbers are out. It's not pretty. Take a look. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Qurate's 2nd quarter 2019 financials

thanks, @TY 

I'll wait for the Cliffs notes.

Esteemed Contributor

This is not surprising. All businesses have losses and gains. I would think it particularly so given their acquisitions.

~~~All we need is love💖

Honored Contributor

I .missed Mike George's usual statement about how it was all the fault of the weather; snow, hurricanes, too much rain, too cold, etc.  I guess too hot wouldn't work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

These are unusual times.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I .missed Mike George's usual statement about how it was all the fault of the weather; snow, hurricanes, too much rain, too cold, etc.  I guess too hot wouldn't work.

From my perspective, as a LONG time QVC customer, I haven't seen any bright, fresh, ingenious and/or innovative strategies to move the business along the path to profitability. 

For whatever reason, Mike George continues in what I'm sure is a very lucrative position in his "ivory tower" without so much as a whisper of spearheading change in what seems to be a very worn and tired retail model.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm sure that tomorrow's conference call will be the spin doctoring for why the numbers are down across the board.

http://ir.qurateretail.com/events-and-presentations?mobile=1

Esteemed Contributor

This is painful on every level. The writing is on the wall. Time to update the resume, return to school (if necessary), and certainly be looking for the next position and stock. Glad it isn't my place of employment, stock or benefits at stake.

My heart hurts for each employee associated with Qurate. Cannot imagine working under such a stressful atmosphere.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Retailers make up to 30% of their yearly sales during the Christmas season. 

It appears CIJ was successful.  Quite a few "Sold Outs."

Also, more shopping during Fall until January.  I think the 3rd and 4rth quarters will give us a more accurate view of how Qurate is doing.  

But, it's not surprising QVC's apparel and accessories were down.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All things considered, I really don't think the results are that bad, outside of Zulily.

Q/H isn't terrible.  Operating revenue fell only 1%.

I imagine we'll continue to see product realignment especially with jewelry being dismal and more expense control.

They'll focus on what's selling and stick to that; accessories are succesful, so more Shoe Shopping and Dooney bags.