Honored Contributor

Re: Qurate Releases Q4 and Year-End 2019 Reports

I agree on a lot of the points made here. 

However, we still don't intimately know any of the financial details.  Since QxH is QVC and HSN combined, we have absolutely no way of knowing where the holes in the bucket are coming from. 

I never watch HSN, except to watch Colleen Lopez's shows.  Even then, I usually miss most of her shows because I simply forget or have other things to do.  Nothing at HSN (except Marla Wynne fashions, and the occasional look-see at DG2) has ever interested me.

I'm sure there are problems at both networks, we just have no way of factually knowing which side is responsible for the majority of the downgrade in revenue.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Best Buy can beat them on many deals .....and they mentioned the IRobot was a big seller but shouldnt that be considered HOME rather than Electronics????  Or is someone playing a game with QVC's sales stats because it makes them look like they are drawing in the younger demographic with electronic sales..which pleases stockholders?????

That's a good observation. The iRobot has an H item number...therefore it is in the home category, not consumer electronics (actually it should have a V item number-I guess those don't exist anymore!).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  and all---

PLEASE read Linda Mioss's HomeShoppingnista Blog.(post #26 from TY1)..the link is posted in this thread.....and what Mike George says....

Its AMAZING how the Execs interpret some of the stats (it far exceeds the interpretations of those involved even in  Fantasy Football ).....It's LAUGHABLE.....

QVC views the increase in using electronic platforms to place their orders as the younger demographic becoming interested in QVC....(Management is going as far as to even start offering baby products for the younger shopper).... But what might be happening IN REALITY is customers are tired of the STALE PROGRAMMING & PRODUCTS and annoying hosts....so they are shopping more from the QVC website and using electronic devices to place their orders...Even their slideshow presentation for their financial results show minimal new cutomers compared to their life blood, existing customers....so how do they reconcile facts from their fantasy....SMH!!! 

And then the CEO's remark about emphasizing social media platforms.......live interaction on Facebook, and on air posed questions, the host are your friends gimmick....What he thinks draws the viewers in, is a big TURN OFF to many....many of us keep asking where is the talk about the ACTUAL PRODUCT!!!  

And George has five biggies on his “To-Do” list.

• Be the destination for product discovery.
• Inspire shopping journeys spanning all media platforms customers use.
• Make digital marketing a powerhouse demand driver.
• Extend the conversation through the power of social media.
• Enhance the service experience.

The only mark he's hit is ENCHANCE THE SERVICE EXPERIENCE....

What are we discovering or whats inspiring "shopping journeys" with STALE merchandise, or all vendors showing a SIMILAR PRODUCT!!! 

And oh yah, those Zulilly TV commericals seems to have inspired shoppers...NOT!!! 

And this is sure to create a few SMHs!!!

“The soul of the shopper, over time and across generations, hasn’t really changed,” George said in the press release. “Shopping is still about discovering great products, at great values, with great stories. It’s joyful, inspiring and built on trust. It lifts people up, helps them solve old problems in new ways, makes their lives easier, and connects them to the wider world. This is what we do, and this is why we have so many opportunities to evolve and grow in today’s rapidly changing retail and media landscape.”

Here's a clue QVC---READ CUSTOMER COMMENTS & FEEDBACK!  KNOW YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Here are some of the highlights I plucked out of Qurate's investor call this morning: 

1.  It was mentioned more than once that the coronavirus closed manufacturing sites and Zulily was highly impacted because they keep minimal items in any of their own warehousing  facilities.  Factories in China were closing as far back as Q4 2019.  But they have just started opening up again.  [I don't know...

Zuliliy is bleeding Qurate dry.  How long will they keep it going?]

2.  For QVC/HSN: Slowdown in all Categories in Q4, and all except Electronics, in all of 2019.  According to the investor call, products like iRoomba is a great revenue generator, and offset even higher electronics losses. 

2.  Fashion results are soft. Well established fashion brands showed a slow-down, and new brands haven't generated sales quickly enough.

3.  Jewelry industry is still soft.  Going forward, QVC & HSN will concentrate most jewelry on-air time to major jewelry event days.   

4.  Well established Beauty brands showed a slow-down, except Belle Beauty, Beekman, and Lancer

Some positives for QVC/HSN reported on the call:

*  More sizes in 4X and 5X, and some new brands specifically made for those sizes.

*  Three new additional proprietary athletic brands.

*  IMAN coming back to HSN.

Overall, the call went just as I expected, not good.  But I do hope all of Qurate's optimism about strategies already in the works to improve things will truly come to fruition.  I hope to see QVC & HSN around in some form or fashion for a long time!

@Caaareful Shopper 

Thanks for posting this....ALL QVC'S CLOTHING LINES LOOK ALIKE...thats why sales are soft!!!  And their so called "new brands" are the same ole style!!! Only fans of certain brands continue to shop their apparel lines... Logo, the polyester (i.e. Liquid Knit), diaper hemlines, overpriced leisure wear, 3/4 sleeves, same styles across all brands,  make many of us shop for clothes elsewhere now.... 

And they need to QUIT comparing themselves to Boutique prices and instead be more competitve in price points where customers REALLY shop!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt   I just lost a bit of my coffee reading your "diaper hemlines!"  I have never heard that term before, but now I cannot get the visual to disappear.  Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper interesting. Yes I am sure that jewelry sales are off. Personally i seldom buy jewelry. I am lucky to have bought things that I liked a lot back when it wasn't priced as high as it is now. I will say however that I like to WATCH jewelry shows. I also realize that the QVC defense league will say that they are a shopping channel, not for entertainment and they are entitled to their opinion.

If all they are going to have on when I'm home and can watch is going to be even heavier on kitchen, electronics and beauty, then I will watch even less and am therefore less likely to BUY anything.

I certainly don't have Q TV on as background as often as I would have had it in the past. Too many hosts that are acting like children or whirling dervishes and there are LOTS of other channels on my cable lineup.

QVC management is a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt great post!  From November to the end of December, I seldom tune into QVC because the repetition of products bores me silly. Endless gift shows of items that I don't want to give as gifts. Nope not for several years now have I shopped QVC for gifts.

and then there is zulilly - maybe it works for some people but it does not work for me. Before Qrate bought them I shopped the website once. Thought the items I bought looked cute but was disappointed in reality and of course since things can't be returned, it was a total loss. That was it for me.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24   I like Zulily.

But Zulily really is it's own worse enemy.  They don't keep much of anything in inventory, so customers are left to "read the fine print" of each & every item ordered to see when it may be delivered.  Items are sent by the manufacturer; I've had things take from 2 days to 2 months for delivery. Many things I want but don't buy because of the long estimated delivery.

There is apparently no Quality Assurance staff at Zulily.  Their clothing measurements chart is a generalization at best. I now only buy clothes and shoes from there if it's a brand I already know very well.  I also buy sterling silver jewelry and household items, and I have never been disappointed with any of those.

At least when I've had to talk to someone or send an email, they are always super nice and helpful. 

Mike George says Zulily's problem is that they have not gained new customers.   Uhhhhh....Mike???

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper 

I cannot claim credit for that "term"....saw someone use it on the fashion thread...sadly dont remember the person to give them the credit...but the visual fit....LOL...

Image result for baby in droopy diapers

Honored Contributor

Using the coronavirus as an excuse for what happened during the duration of this financial report is ludicrous.  The virus didn't materialize until after the first of the year.  It will undoubtedly affect the world economy as evidenced by today's stick market report, but not the 2019 financials.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment