Valued Contributor

Re: Qurate First Quarter Results 2020!!!

No doubt covid plays a role in finances for every citizen and company...thank you China! But QVC has other issues.  Maybe broadcasting a few products is not a good plan in this day and age of online shopping.  Maybe charging for shipping while others do not is a bad plan.  Maybe taking three weeks to refund money to customers is a bad idea.  Maybe inaccurate shipping dates is a problem.  Maybe an inflated inventory of expensive affinity diamonds and gold is poor planning.  Maybe hundreds of brands with the same crop pant is bad merchandising.  Maybe previously recorded is not working.  Maybe having every product presented have a host and vendor chatting on air is a waste of our time.  Maybe six items presented per hour is also a waste of our time.  And offering cash to new Q shoppers while older shoppers get nothing is insulting.  These are the obvious problems I see not to mention the problems behind the screen.

Honored Contributor

It can't be all bad if they had $49,000,000 to buy back stock.  That's what big business does with tax breaks and other perks the government gives them...instead of investing in their people and business.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Xivambala wrote:

I am no financial wiz, but they are making a big mistake IMO in using the virus as an excuse for the Quarte declince. This reminds me of how badly managed businesses used the last recession as an excuse for their decline. Not buying it here.

@Xivambala  @Gabidog 

You make a good point, so if CEO Mike George said the decline happened in March....I wonder what January and February looked like...this was just a few weeks out of the quarter....and QVC seemed to brag about the new customers (at least on ITKWD)....QVC does have a captive audience right now.......of course shipment delays could discourage some shoppers but still...Talking pre-pandemic here, but with QVC its ALWAYS SOMETHING ----excuses like the Olympics, the weather (even though people are shopping from their homes), tax season (what about the people getting refunds and have cash to burn)....But its never stale and repetitive merchandise, presentations are too long, uncompetitive prices, reduction in live programming ---which is a turn off to many....who wants to see the same stuff recorded...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

How can they blame the CV on any losses? We were asked to stay at home mid March. The economy didn't start tanking until April. I have done my part to keep HSN in business. I would think sales would go up next quarter since people had more time to watch the Q. If they don't, QVC is in big trouble.
Esteemed Contributor

I have not purchased anything from QVC with the exception of  TOVA Signature Eau de Parfum since October.   I can find better prices, often with no shipping charges, with other on-line vendors.  

Frequent Contributor

@Gabidog wrote:

No doubt covid plays a role in finances for every citizen and company...thank you China! But QVC has other issues.  Maybe broadcasting a few products is not a good plan in this day and age of online shopping.  Maybe charging for shipping while others do not is a bad plan.  Maybe taking three weeks to refund money to customers is a bad idea.  Maybe inaccurate shipping dates is a problem.  Maybe an inflated inventory of expensive affinity diamonds and gold is poor planning.  Maybe hundreds of brands with the same crop pant is bad merchandising.  Maybe previously recorded is not working.  Maybe having every product presented have a host and vendor chatting on air is a waste of our time.  Maybe six items presented per hour is also a waste of our time.  And offering cash to new Q shoppers while older shoppers get nothing is insulting.  These are the obvious problems I see not to mention the problems behind the screen.

Well said!!!

Honored Contributor

QVC (and now HSN) have become a endless loop of "infomercials" showing the same things hour after hour!

Even TSV's are in the same loop...same product different day🙄

Every retailer after this is going to be chasing our dollars -- QVC better listen up because they offer nothing (incentives) to entice us to part with them.  

I can only assume consumers are smarter and have a lot more choices thanks to online retailers offering more.  And quality well that's a hit or miss lately☹️

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

QVC (and now HSN) have become a endless loop of "infomercials" showing the same things hour after hour!

Even TSV's are in the same loop...same product different day🙄

Every retailer after this is going to be chasing our dollars -- QVC better listen up because they offer nothing (incentives) to entice us to part with them.  

I can only assume consumers are smarter and have a lot more choices thanks to online retailers offering more.  And quality well that's a hit or miss lately☹️

@homedecor1 

You are so right......Yep, the quality is inconsistent, their prices uncomeptetive for the most part, and their shipping outrageous (think if your buying more than one item....$5.50 for each one, and that can quickly add up---instead of offering free shipping if you purchase a certain amount like many other retailers do)...QVC's products aren't very unique anymore, they sell whats in local stores or other retailer websites, the only thing QVC offers is E-Z Pay....which really isnt all that great, you still pay interest on your credit card if you carry over any balance......  So where's the incentive!!! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

QVC tries the same approach over and over AND OVER again expecting different results. Not going to happen. The endless loop of the TSV is obnoxious and unnecessary. I haven't purchased anything since December 2019.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised that Qurate's 1st quarter isn't worse but I expect that the second quarter will be worse news. A 14% unemployment rate in the U.S. isn't good news for any business.