Honored Contributor

Re: Qurate Financial Report - down 7% in Q4 2021

Yes, they may have lost employees, had to change work schedules, or staffed at less than 100% because of the pandemic and fire at one of their warehouses.

Yes, there were shipping issues due to the pandemic. 

Very few retailers I purchase from had more than a day or two delay because of those issues. 

Q can blame the decrease on whatever they want. My opinion is it's due to lack of creativity, repeating the same products week after week after week, and how they run their shipping and returns depts.

A lot of products are now shipped from vendors instead of Q. Q needs to add expectations for shipping and returns to their contracts with vendors. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

The decline in sales does not surprise me.  I had my reasons for buying less, as I am sure many people did.

There are so many options now for buying "stuff."  Plus, I think their customer base is aging, and wanting/needing less "stuff."  QVC does not really appeal to younger people in my opinion, no matter how hard they try.

I don't think QVC will go under any time soon, but I don't think they will ever reach sales numbers they used to.  This is only my opinion, of course.  We will see how they do this year.

@Puppy Lips 

They used to have 7% to 9% revenue/sales INCREASES.....and one reason they don't is repetitiveness----when I purchased things from QVC especially gifts, people would say where did you find that....thats exactly what I needed/wanted....But nowadays QVC has mostly stuff you see in your local stores and everywhere and anywhere....

What irks mean and something that doesn't make sense is if something is a "hit" then EVERY vendor is asked to make a similar item....take lanterns....once you purchased one from lets say Valerie Parr Hill and Candle Impressions do they really need to show more of the SAME style and basically the same thing from Home Reflections, Light Scapes, Bethelhem Lights, Barbara King, Luminara, Techno, House No. 9,  Glitzhome, Gercon Co., ---OVERKILL, OVERKILL, OVERKILL....AND they bring out the SAME THING year after year after year.....Flashpad anyone???🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

My observation for QVC and HSN is "Dance with the one that brought you." Their primary customer has always been those who were at home, often alone during the day, or those who are housebound or in assisted living situations. These are people who cannot go to stores to shop and don't like to shop on the internet. They enjoy seeing products demonstrated or modeled and often buy because of that feature.

I am one of those customers. Back in the day when I scoured the stores to find the perfect pair of earrings to complement a new outfit, I rarely ordered from QVC. As my mobility became more challenged, I found myself watching daily and ordering from both QVC and HSN. As I continue to age and my need for new things diminishes, a new customer will age into her QVC years and take my place.

Dropping some of the classic lines that built QVC was a mistake. They were replaced by contemporary styles that just don't have any appeal to an aging audience. I think the balance of appeal was lost in search of the younger customer. That younger customer is technology savvy, out and about, and does not rely on television for shopping or companionship.

Keep a good balance of products for both groups, but during the day prioritize the older customer. During the evening court the younger group by adding some contemporary styles and sizing. Most of us older folks will watch in the daytime. Younger audiences may tune in during the evening hours along with some of the older crowd, so mix it up.

@On It 

Excellent points, but there is also an advantage to live demonstrations for savvy customers of all ages---in fact, Amazon has experimented with a few live demos on their website and are still working on it and tweaking on it to make it work...And if Amazon thinks it's a GOOD THING...🤔..the thing is with busy people the presentations need to be short and sweet....not these drawn out and soon becoming infommercials that QVC has become....they dont need to show the TSV several times in the same show when the product is on all day long....it just makes those not interested in the TSV turn the channel....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Yes, they may have lost employees, had to change work schedules, or staffed at less than 100% because of the pandemic and fire at one of their warehouses.

Yes, there were shipping issues due to the pandemic. 

Very few retailers I purchase from had more than a day or two delay because of those issues. 

Q can blame the decrease on whatever they want. My opinion is it's due to lack of creativity, repeating the same products week after week after week, and how they run their shipping and returns depts.

A lot of products are now shipped from vendors instead of Q. Q needs to add expectations for shipping and returns to their contracts with vendors. 

@CalminHeart 

"Q can blame the decrease on whatever they want. My opinion is it's due to lack of creativity, repeating the same products week after week after week"

download (2).jpg

And customers have been complaining about this for many years----way before the pandemic and supply chain issues......Just look at their weekend lineup---always an electronic, vacuum, mattress/bed, Lay Z Boy recliners....😴ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. (I guess thats when viewership is high and they are trying to unload big ticket items, but their strategy doesnt seem to be working since these items are specifically named in the press release as categtories declining in sales (home and electronidcs).....

Respected Contributor

So they’re down 7% on the top line, what happened to the bottom line?
Esteemed Contributor

QXH OPERATING INCOME 4Q2020:  $384 Million 

QXH OPERATING INCOME 4Q2021:  $247 Million 

Decline of 36%