Valued Contributor

Re: QVC - yet another corporate restructure

I feel sorry for the 3 HSN execs that will lose their jobs .... whenever my company merged, the consolidation resulted in 90% loss (me included).   

I would like to see HSN & QVC swap some hosts ... I do not watch the FL channel, so would love to see the "loud" ones  go south.

Valued Contributor

My husband has been with companies that restructure.They always say "nothing will change"  and then.....everything does!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how any shopping channel can compete with online retailers. The overhead at QVC and HSN must be enormous. The studios, the models, the hosts. Online retailers don’t have those expenses. When I first started shopping with QVC, it was so novel that I stayed glued to my TV and bought quite a bit from them. Now I don’t watch shopping channels. I check the websites to see what’s out there. I think that the novelty of TV shopping is over and they’re going to have a hard time keeping prices competitive.

Honored Contributor

You would think the shopping networks would be doing better as more people are in the older group and perhaps don't want to or can't get out to shop.  I don't think they are doing better at all now.  Seems QVC does the hard sell all the time and all the "easy pay"  could be a disaster for people that don't pay attention and then may realize they have 10 or 12 items on easy pay for 6 months.    I am not the fan of QVC that I was at one time.  Also, between those in my family's age group, those around my age that I know--most have never even watched QVC let alone made a purchase.

Respected Contributor

Mike George knows nothing about running QVC, it isn't a company by and for women and should be operated as such. We need a female CEO to make decisions. Perhaps a co-op arrangement where several hosts come together to run it. I feel Lisa Robertson would be the perfect CEO. Less vacuum cleaners, Dysons, Serra mattresses and more jewelry and fashions. As well a second high end home decor. So sick of the imported Chinese junk they are hawking.

Trusted Contributor

I buy more from HSN now. I am a little worried that some of the HSN vendors got cut in this merger.

HSN just has better prices, plain and simple. More varied products. There are some products (household) that I have been buying for years, and I noticed now they are hardly ever on anymore. Note to self: better stock up!

I had to laugh though in that first article. One person was moved to be

"chief people officer". Did they just make that title up until they figure out exactly what she is going to be doing? I would not sound very professional to tell someone I was "chief people officer". Unless I have been out of the corporate world for so long there really is such a position?

Honored Contributor

I've said all along that although Liberty had said QVC and HSN would remain separate, there is no doubt changes, and huge ones at that, would take place with this acquisition.  And I think this is just the start of them.      

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0 yeah he changed QVC all right but not for the better IMO. Products repeated over and over and the weekend lineup is pathetic and unwatchable.

So he made it to the Hamptons, so what?

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch well I hope that they keep the origami brand of storage shelving - that is something that I discovered by accident on HSN and it is an awesome product.  I have shelves in the basement & on my porch for flowers.

It actually works as opposed to some of the really cheap but expensive to buy furniture that QVC sells

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newlook456 wrote:

I used to be mad at Mike George but not anymore.  He completely changed QVC to fit his idea of a profit making enterprise.  Maybe he'll grow on you if you let him.  Here's a pic of him with the caption "QVC serves up a stylish dinner in East Hampton."  Hey he made it to the Hamptons.  Not too shabby.

I don't know the man and so I'm not mad at him. I simply don't like the direction the QVC domestic operation has taken under his leadership. I'm also a firm believer in the maxim that corporations need different leaders to see them through different stages in their development. I've long felt that QVC-US has grown stale and I've thought for several years that it's time for a change in leadership. Clearly, Liberty and the board of directors feel differently and that's their call. Nothing forcing me to watch or shop here, so I rarely do anymore. And incidentally, I'm not too interested in where the man hosted a dinner...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...