Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC using the term "Latinx?"

I also read that there was a Pew Research poll of

Latino people, and only 3.5% liked being referred

to as Latinx.

I don't think it is going away, but I do think the people

involved should refer to themselves as they wish.

Although my opinion is just that--an opinion--I prefer

just Latin. 

Hispanic refers to people of the Iberian Peninsula

(European) ; Latino includes the Indigenous as well

as European/indigenous mixed.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Maybe I'm misreading what someone posted but latinx is not the same as "Ms." which is used for an unmarried woman or if you don't know a woman's marital status.  It is not gender neutral.  

—————

Many married women are referred to and refer to themselves as Ms. If I ever get mail addressed to Mrs., I know it’s either junk or someone that doesn’t know me LOL. 

Respected Contributor

@FishandSnail wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Latinx is now a generally used and recognized term.  Many marketers now employ it and it is accepted and welcomed by many, including me.

The post is just trouble looking for a home in which to roost.

The post is "trouble" because you like the term, lol.

Get over yourself.

Any quick google search will show articles on the unpopularity of the term among the people it references.  https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/2020/08/11/about-one-in-four-u-s-hispanics-have-heard-of-latinx...

And this wasn't Rachel using the term on her own,  QVC's graphics had it onscreen as well.

This was a good editiorial on the issue written by a 16 yr old Hispanic student....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/15/learning/for-most-latinos-latinx-does-not-mark-the-spot.html

@FishandSnail You can educate someone without telling them to get over themselves. How about you educate yourself on how not to be rude and condescending and not speak for everyone---you don't know how many people prefer the term and one editorial isn't going to be the status quo.

Trusted Contributor

@FishandSnail  IKR. right? Stupid, isn't it. Rachel isn't the only one who uses it. The world has lost its collective mind.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all if you look at the surveys most Latino's do not like the term Latinx. A very simple fix would be to listen and not use it. You can't debate it if you are not Latino. You can have an opinion I suppose, but why if it doesn't pertain to you?

Mispronouncing words is not the same as a group of people that are referred to by a certain term. So, I am lost as to how the post's went in that direction.

We have to start listening to people. When a certain group doesn't like a term just stop using it. I am sure if enough Latino's let QVC, or the host know they don't like it they will stop using it. They do not want to offend any base.

Honored Contributor

I hadn't heard of Latinx.

I love the word Latina, Latino.  Very melodic (musical).  Lovely word/name.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).