Honored Contributor

Re: QVC to Rerun Midnight TSV from 2am-7am starting Monday Morn

So they won't be able to avertise that they are live all the time.  I think people who use the Q for company will be disappointed to tune in and get a recorded show.

There was a time the Q understood that some (often older) customers counted on them for this kind of "companionship" (whether real or imagined.)  I guess it's a whole new business model now, although it has been transforming for a number of years.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

So they won't be able to avertise that they are live all the time.  I think people who use the Q for company will be disappointed to tune in and get a recorded show.

There was a time the Q understood that some (often older) customers counted on them for this kind of "companionship" (whether real or imagined.)  I guess it's a whole new business model now, although it has been transforming for a number of years.

Huh?   Why would any shopping channel want to spend millions of dollars a year to give some people a sad sense of companionship?  Macy's doesn't open it's doors at 2am to give the loney and homeless a place to wander around while the world sleeps.  If people want electronic companionship, there are scores and scores of channels at their finger tips where they can find it.  All the other shopping channels and Q2 and Q3 run Encore programming all night.  QVC hasn't abandoned the people who watch in the wee hours for company or background noise.  

Super Contributor

Lots of opinions here!  
My opinion: 

To me if they need to cut costs:
1. Wait until January to cut the live 2am-7am broadcasts. They would  have to absorb more production costs for the last quarter. But they might have higher sales and less angry viewers who end up leaving completely.

2. Don't replay the TSV for FIVE hours!  Replay other shows like Q2 and Q3 do. (as well as the Holiday online shows).  It's overkill and a huge turnoff to any possible viewers. Even the Infomercials don't replay the same commercial for 5 hours. People will turn it off. Maybe better to go dark than to show the TSV repeated for 5 hours. 

3. QVC has never been HSN. Under the same corporate umbrella but different. Sure there are comparables....but there are also differences. That's my opinion. Is the audience the same income and age group? Will the same cuts work at the Q as worked at HSN (if they worked there)? Time will tell I guess.

4, Huge disappointment that QVC didn't annouce the change to viewers/shoppers. Reeks of disrespect. They have viewers for whom 2am-7am is prime time! (Alaska, Hawaii) and people who works odd shifts also.  I don't like the message I am getting with the lack of respect. One thing i learned in business years ago.....the customer can always say this and be right "I made you, and I can break you."  A little respect goes a long way in my book. Communication is the key to success.

5. Yes,  QVC can and will do as it pleases.  Me too.  My tv is off. 

Regular Contributor

@10000thnickname wrote:

Lots of opinions here!  
My opinion: 

To me if they need to cut costs:
1. Wait until January to cut the live 2am-7am broadcasts. They would  have to absorb more production costs for the last quarter. But they might have higher sales and less angry viewers who end up leaving completely.

2. Don't replay the TSV for FIVE hours!  Replay other shows like Q2 and Q3 do. (as well as the Holiday online shows).  It's overkill and a huge turnoff to any possible viewers. Even the Infomercials don't replay the same commercial for 5 hours. People will turn it off. Maybe better to go dark than to show the TSV repeated for 5 hours. 

3. QVC has never been HSN. Under the same corporate umbrella but different. Sure there are comparables....but there are also differences. That's my opinion. Is the audience the same income and age group? Will the same cuts work at the Q as worked at HSN (if they worked there)? Time will tell I guess.

4, Huge disappointment that QVC didn't annouce the change to viewers/shoppers. Reeks of disrespect. They have viewers for whom 2am-7am is prime time! (Alaska, Hawaii) and people who works odd shifts also.  I don't like the message I am getting with the lack of respect. One thing i learned in business years ago.....the customer can always say this and be right "I made you, and I can break you."  A little respect goes a long way in my book. Communication is the key to success.

5. Yes,  QVC can and will do as it pleases.  Me too.  My tv is off. 

I also had my television off. Just my opinion but I am thinking that the sales tanked during the night time hours.

Trusted Contributor

Most of my QVC purchases are made in the middle of the night and this stinks.

Trusted Contributor

Turned mine off in the middle of the night last night for the first time in years

Respected Contributor

If you are interested in the TSV, you won't mind.  This is just another experiment to boost sales prior to Xmas.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They're running TSV presentations into the ground.  I'm not buying based on principle.

@Kachina624 

Yep, when I hear their music for the TSV....that's an opportunity for me alright....I find something else to do or watch.....Woman Frustrated  Not only are these TSV presentations LOOOOOOOONNNNGGG and repetitive in what they say....but then they do it multiple times in the SAME SHOW....SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@10000thnickname wrote:

@MalteseMomma  You are welcome. I know if I kept seeing the same thing repeated over  I'd sure wonder what was going on.

Just me  I know but I recall TSVs being real bargains. Now a $70 pr of leggings were a good deal to some but I wonder if the majority of viewers are attracted by high priced merchandise as "special values". Same with the "Christmas" tree that flashed like a LED ad on the highway! That was overpriced. 

@10000thnickname 

The majority of their merchandise is now overpriced....especially clothing!!!  And they try to make up for it with Easy Pay...which doesn't work for me....because in the long run....better deals elsewhere for the FULL price!!!

And it seems they are trying to boost revenues with HIGH PRICED TSVs instead of in volume with reasonably priced merchandise.....but the strategy doesn't seem to be working as sales decline....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

It's a smart financial move.   It has worked for HSN - it will work for the Q.

@sashamatthews 

I don't see how it worked for HSN, the Shopping Network whose sales continually declined quarter after quarter year after year and was finally put up for sale when they saw the handwriting on the wall...Check out Linda Moss's Homeshoppingnista Blog ---she posted the financial results over the years....