Respected Contributor

Re: QVC to Rerun Midnight TSV from 2am-7am starting Monday Morn

@Reever wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

Definately a signal that the live programming is struggling and costs must be lowered. Eventually I think they will transition to a strictly online retail presence with video for each item featuring a host and vendor, and for apparal and beauty. or when needed, a few models. That is how I shop QVC 95% of the time. My opinion only.

Old timers enjoy the live banter with hosts and vendors.  We invite these people into our homes.  If QVC becomes strictly an online presence there will be no incentive for me to shop them.  Their prices already are higher than most. The personal attention is what draws me in.  

I have shopped QVC since 1991 and consider myself an old timer. I certainly agree with you about the personal attention and its appeal to long-time viewers. I just don't think us old timers can sustain the live programming by ourselves, and attracting a new, younger audience is important for ongoing financial growth. I don't think the under 40 crowd is flocking to the QVC network. They seem to put a higher value on fast shipping and making a few online clicks to purchase over the idea of hosts coming into their homes. None of my daughter's crowd shops QVC, and I doubt most even know it exists or would spend time watching it. They are on the go constantly, and my daughter does her online shopping while multitasking.

Home shopping has a "grandma" stigma, however unfair and misguided it is, that has been hard to shake. I may be totally off the mark on this, and I hope QVC remains a fixture on TV, but the format has to attract new shoppers and fit into their lifestyle. It's not easy to satisfy all age groups in their live programming, not like a store that offers different departments that are all available and we make the choice. We are stuck with their choice. A day of computers or mattresses is not going to make me stay on the channel. Hours of solid TSV shows will certainly drive me away. Interesting discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

Thanks for the thorough clarification. I was just wondering about that based on another thread😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖.

Off topic question for you, @SandySparkles .

On this website, I've selected the option to see no poster's 'signature line'.

They simply don't appear below anyone's posts on my screen. 

Except yours.

Are you adding that by hand to the end of everything you post?

If yes, did you know you can set it up once, and it will be added to all your posts automatically?

Easy peasy.   ☺

I was not aware of that. I have been having a ball in the forums the past few months but have yet to learn all of the ins and outs. Thanks for the info😉

Super Contributor

@SunValley  I think that's true. But also everyone is aging!  
It's clear the Q is trying to attract younger shoppers based on the clothing for the Fall Fashion weekend. Was that successful? We don't know.  But it was pretty obvious they tried.
Only time will tell what happens.

I do think the shipping is a problem that hurts QVC. I don't know if they are going to get it fixed or not. Old and young shoppers alike expect better than we are getting.

Honored Contributor

It won't bother me at all.  2am to 6am, I'm sleeping.  I get up at 6am but I watch the news while I get ready to go into my home ofice for work.  All the other shopping channels  (except for ShopLC) show Encore programming at those hours, QVC has Q2 and Q3 which are all about Encore programming so they can't do that.  Repeating the TSV is what they are left with if they don't want to do live programming in the overnight hours. 

Super Contributor

I certainly see why they would do this. The cost savings on everything from host pay, to crew pay, to saving on the electric bill will be significant. Unfortunately, the same TSV for five hours is a truly awful idea (as is the loss of income for all the team members no longer employed at those times).

Instead of five hours of one TSV, the Q should choose about ten items for the week, run a special price or free shipping on those items, and use those for their overnight programs for each week. If you can get hosts to pre-tape, great! If not, begin asking for social media uploads from volunteers showing how they use or wear the items daily and build a library of those videos. People love to be seen on social media, so maybe they would volunteer their time to create demonstration videos and give the Q permission to use them. Sweeten the deal by offering 20% off all Q purchases for as long as a home demo video is in rotation.

Valued Contributor

It seems weird they would decide to do this right as the holiday shopping season is getting underway. I could understand in January when it slows down, but now??? 

Honored Contributor

@10000thnickname 

Thanks for posting this.

I rarely watch QVC anyway, sleep at night and watch the news early in the morning before work so this is not something I would be likely to notice.

I think it is likely to be very unpopular. How could it be anything else? Why not just have different rerun shows? How about rerun clearance shows? Or go off air during those hours? 

Super Contributor

@CorrTor  I thought the same thing. The timing is bizarre. You'd think they'd wait until after Christmas. I would have thought Oct-Dec was their busiest time of the year. 
I don't know.....

Honored Contributor

@CorrTor wrote:

It seems weird they would decide to do this right as the holiday shopping season is getting underway. I could understand in January when it slows down, but now??? 

Because no one buys anything during the off hours and that's not going to change just because Christmas is coming.  Air time is expensive and obviously QVC has made the decision that they aren't going to pay for it so some people use them as a white noise or night light.  Q2 and Q3 will still be airing Encore programs.  

Honored Contributor

Is HSN already doing this? I have noticed that their program guide lists what appears to be the same show over and over again during the night.