Respected Contributor

Re: QVC to Rerun Midnight TSV from 2am-7am starting Monday Morn

Interesting; I never watch during the night so I don't really care.  It saves them money not to bring in hosts in the wee hours, perhaps they figure sales are low during the night so they can save money not paying hosts when those shows are not selling enough.  I bet the hosts are loving the idea.

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the TSV. I keep my TV on all night and doze off and on. When HSN has a TS I like, I can usually catch everything I need by the time it is repeated several times (like cooking demonstrations and last week for the craft day. She does a lot of demos and they are really fast, so it was good to see it a few times). However, once I decide if I want to make a purchase, I will get up and go to my computer and order - or not and go back to news. For something like clothes or make-up, there is no way I will be tuning in and I can't imagine 6 straight shows of vaccuums or mattresses. (However, I will gladly keep Curtis Stone on for that long, hoping that he will make his way into my dreams!!!)

Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Sounds like they are moving in direction of an infomercial only channel. This is probably good news for newer hosts because they won’t have to work overnight hours anymore.

As others here have mentioned products offered have become very stale.

@Kindaglitzy 

There will be fewer hosts too.....This doesn't sound good for the tenured hosts who make more than the entry level hosts that were newly hired.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@10000thnickname wrote:

@SunValley  I think that's true. But also everyone is aging!  
It's clear the Q is trying to attract younger shoppers based on the clothing for the Fall Fashion weekend. Was that successful? We don't know.  But it was pretty obvious they tried.
Only time will tell what happens.

I do think the shipping is a problem that hurts QVC. I don't know if they are going to get it fixed or not. Old and young shoppers alike expect better than we are getting.

@10000thnickname 

I think there's a way they could carve out a niche market for themselves in today's retail world perhaps the established career women with cash to spend....All I know is what they are doing now just isn't it working....they seem to find a way to drive people AWAY (their current customer base) instead of drawing them and others IN....They recently added a new Exec for Qurate and I hope she brings new ideas....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

So they won't be able to avertise that they are live all the time.  I think people who use the Q for company will be disappointed to tune in and get a recorded show.

There was a time the Q understood that some (often older) customers counted on them for this kind of "companionship" (whether real or imagined.)  I guess it's a whole new business model now, although it has been transforming for a number of years.

Huh?   Why would any shopping channel want to spend millions of dollars a year to give some people a sad sense of companionship?  Macy's doesn't open it's doors at 2am to give the loney and homeless a place to wander around while the world sleeps.  If people want electronic companionship, there are scores and scores of channels at their finger tips where they can find it.  All the other shopping channels and Q2 and Q3 run Encore programming all night.  QVC hasn't abandoned the people who watch in the wee hours for company or background noise.  

Back in the day that was their shtick.  "Just put us on for company, we love having you here with us and allowing us into your living rooms.  You don't have to buy anything." (Yes, they actually said that.)  Some people took it to heart.

I'm not saying they should do anything, I'm telling you what some people got used to from the Q.

Regular Contributor

I could not sleep last night so I would switch over to QVC and all I saw was Belle.  Watched another station and when the top of the hour came switched back and the same show was running again!  I thought something happened in Philly so I switched the news on, nothing happening.  Then I thought maybe I should not have had that second Peach Crown Royal in Iced Tea as I was seeing the same thing over and over again.  When I got up and checked the boards I found out this was the scheduled.  NOT a good move!!  I purchased most of my holiday gifts last year when I could not sleep and turned into the Q.  Hope they change this back to live programming soon! 

Honored Contributor

@aunt bea I might go along with it if they gave me Peach Crown Royale to sip as I watched. Heck, even some Southern Comfort would do!

Trusted Contributor

@10000thnickname   what a shame. I know shop hq and hsn do essentially the same. I think qvc will have less and less viewers as time goes by. Makes you wonder what all of the hosts that work overnights will now be doing.

Regular Contributor

I usually watch between 4 and 6:30 am.  This morning I was subjected to Kim Gravel's (sp) horrific voice....I do most of my Q shopping in these hours.  No more for me.  2 hours straight of flexibell whatever is way more than I could take unless of course it was Lori Goldstein...ick.....

Honored Contributor

I think it's a better idea to just go off the air for 5 hours. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise