Respected Contributor

Re: QVC to Rerun Midnight TSV from 2am-7am starting Monday Morn

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Im working on a letter to management tonight.  This is absolutely a cost cutting maneuver that ultimately saves the company money.

@Reever  First of all, consider that QVC is now also QVC2, QVC3, and Beauty/HolidayQ, so there are actually 4 different stations under one roof. Don’t assume that just because they aren’t live for 5 hours a night doesn’t mean that there aren’t people working behind the scenes to maintain what happens on QVC as well as these newer networks. Also, we all know how the QVC2 and QVC3 are often reruns, so it is possible that going dark during those 5 hours on the main network may mean that we’ll see more live programming on the other networks to make up for the loss of time used to show new products on the main network during those “dark” hours. This means that not only will those camera men and people behind the scenes maintain their weekly hours, but those hours will not be during the graveyard shift, and they’ll be able to spend more regular hours with their families. Don’t jump to conclusions without looking at how this might actually help the employees in the long run.

Adding more hours on QVC2 or QVC3 is unlikely. QVC acknowledged earlier this year that the repeats on QVC3 are driving more sales than the 20 hours/week of live Beauty iQ programming. They are testing TSV repeats instead of 35 hours/week live programming to see what makes more money. They will reduce their staff as needed.

That is a very strange assumption to make that the behind-the-scenes crew will be given daytime shifts to allow them to see more of their family. How could you possibly know that that will occur or that those workers would want that? And then you follow that with 'Don’t jump to conclusions'?

Valued Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Im working on a letter to management tonight.  This is absolutely a cost cutting maneuver that ultimately saves the company money.

@Reever  First of all, consider that QVC is now also QVC2, QVC3, and Beauty/HolidayQ, so there are actually 4 different stations under one roof. Don’t assume that just because they aren’t live for 5 hours a night doesn’t mean that there aren’t people working behind the scenes to maintain what happens on QVC as well as these newer networks. Also, we all know how the QVC2 and QVC3 are often reruns, so it is possible that going dark during those 5 hours on the main network may mean that we’ll see more live programming on the other networks to make up for the loss of time used to show new products on the main network during those “dark” hours. This means that not only will those camera men and people behind the scenes maintain their weekly hours, but those hours will not be during the graveyard shift, and they’ll be able to spend more regular hours with their families. Don’t jump to conclusions without looking at how this might actually help the employees in the long run.

Adding more hours on QVC2 or QVC3 is unlikely. QVC acknowledged earlier this year that the repeats on QVC3 are driving more sales than the 20 hours/week of live Beauty iQ programming. They are testing TSV repeats instead of 35 hours/week live programming to see what makes more money. They will reduce their staff as needed.

That is a very strange assumption to make that the behind-the-scenes crew will be given daytime shifts to allow them to see more of their family. How could you possibly know that that will occur or that those workers would want that? And then you follow that with 'Don’t jump to conclusions'?

@banned again  It is not jumping to conclusions. It’s logical to come to the conclusion that if the reruns they’re showing during the late night hours necessitate finding other hours of the day to air products which may have usually been shown during those late night hours, that they may air those products on a secondary channel live during the day, which means they would need crew and cameramen to produce those live shows. 

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea to ram the TSV down our throats for 5 hours back to back. It's bad enough when they air it for 30 minutes at a time!!

I was perusing our online program guide and I saw the multiple hours for Kim Gravel's TSV from 2am - 7am. I thought our guide had screwed up. I can't believe they're actually doing this.

It's especially odd that they're testing this during their holiday shopping period. I would've thought they'd wait until January when the season is over.

Respected Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@banned again wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@banned again  It is not jumping to conclusions. It’s logical to come to the conclusion that if the reruns they’re showing during the late night hours necessitate finding other hours of the day to air products which may have usually been shown during those late night hours, that they may air those products on a secondary channel live during the day, which means they would need crew and cameramen to produce those live shows. 

You are forgetting that Qurate's quarterly reports tell us that online sales are making up a greater share of QVC's total sales (over 50 percent and increasing). On-air sales are decreasing. With on-air sales decreasing, why would they add live-produced hours to a channel that gets half the audience that the main channel gets? As I stated before, QVC already cut out 20 hours/week live programming on BeautyiQ due to low audience numbers for that channel, meaning not enough sales to warrant the live programming hours.

From 2016 to 2018 QVC added live programming hours. Since Beauty iQ's live hours ceased in March 2019, QVC America has reduced live programming hours (and QVC France shut down!). It is not difficult to read this trend.

Respected Contributor

@Reever This isn't government where spending money is no problem.  Want an almost guaranteed lifetime job?  Go to work there.  

QVC is a business.  It is not a charity.  It has to make a profit or it goes away and no one has a job.  That's a fact of life that everyone working in private business has to understand.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Young people would shop QVC/HSN if the sites offered more electronics, items for apartment and first time home owners, and lower prices!!  Show what young people want on the programming instead of focusing on women over 50.  Most online shoppers are used to cheap prices and free shipping.  Someone needs to explain to QVC/HSN management what a clearance price is.  Notice how QVC/HSN raise prices when they offer free shipping?  I find myself shopping at Home Goods/TJ Maxx/Marshalls instead of QVC/HSN.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I looked at the long-range program guide the other day and saw this.  Not surprised.  What surprised me is that they haven't made a major announcement of this action.

@Krimpette they want to keep us mushrooms in the dark but we won't be eating the 'stuff' they are feeding us. Poor decision making is common. Look at the jean TSV today - seems we had one last week.

Esteemed Contributor

There's some assumption that this programming has worked for HSN....how does someone posting here know that?

The only way it MAY be working is because HSN already reduced its host roster by 3 (and another host recently left voluntarily) and I assume crew was also reduced.

It would only make sense to me if Q also reduced its personnel costs accordingly.

Otherwise they still have the fixed costs and I imagine not a big bounce in sales revenue.

I frequently made purchases while watching the various clearance shows during these hours but I guess no longer.

Positive for the host presenting the TSV though.  They will get exposure for hours and hours and hours and........

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I really like the Christmas pre-recorded programming.   They must have very low numbers during this time period to elect to go to five hours of one item.   What could be worse?

Esteemed Contributor

So happy I saw this thread!! I thought I was dreaming - I fell asleep with QVC on and woke up a couple times to see/hear Kim and Sandra. The first time, I saw the “prerecorded” on the screen, but my channel guide said it was supposed to be Vince Camuto. Now I know why it was still on a few hours later.

I agree that it’s so boring to show the same show hour after hour - especially when it’s one of those one product hours. Fine - they want to show pre-recorded to cut costs. But, how about showing some of Q2’s live recordings on Q during that time?