Esteemed Contributor

QVC still wants to broadcast in Canada? Why?

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-80.pdf

Well, I guess QVC still wants to broadcast in Canada as they are having the Canadian company VMedia appeal the CRTC decision to not allow QVC to broadcast on Canadian TV.

My question is why? The Candian dollar is not doing well and Canadians are price sensitive to the exchange rate and high shipping costs that QVC charges. I think it's pretty unlikely that Canadians will buy from QVC now. Maybe back in 2012 that was true but more than 5 years later it's unlikely that QVC could compete with Amazon on price or shipping overall. Canadians aren't going to fall all over American retailers that ship to Canada either. They will do their homework and comparison shop first. And who watches tv much anymore to buy stuff? Not me.

Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC still wants to broadcast in Canada? Why?

Well obviously they believe there is a market there or they wouldn't bother.     If they fail, they fail.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think these types of decisions are made on the fly or happen overnight.  My guess would be this has been in the works based on a number of factors.

Honored Contributor

They really can't or won't compete with prices, shipping costs or shipping time here either, and yet they stay afloat... One assumes they're trying to cast as wide a net as possible... They must assume the cost of broadcast rights would be earned back in sales... Maybe they would and maybe they wouldn't... It's probably cheaper for them to offer QVC-US to Canada than it would be to try to open a stand alone operation there as they have in other countries and they must view Canada as an untouched but potentially lucrative market...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Obviously QVC knows more about all of that than you could ever know.  If they want to go into Canada, it's because they believe they can succeed and make a profit.

Trusted Contributor

@TYwrote:

And who watches tv much anymore to buy stuff? Not me.

I buy a lot from QVC and a few things from Evine. I watch QVC every day, not all day long, even when I'm not buying something. but I do have it on a lot, even when I'm in another room, much like guys do when they have sports on.  

I love not having to go to a store or mall, plus life gets crazy and I don't have the time or energy to do so.  I do shop at Amazon, and love it, but Q's easy pays, prices, and great Holiday return poicy can't be beat! Plus, I do enjoy watching and shopping from Q.

Cat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@TY. ITA.I am Canadian living in USA but I know Canadians are thrifty.I remember when we first moved here I was totally shocked by everyone lifestyle.I have to admit that I am now a huge consumer too.

Esteemed Contributor

@TY et al, I am Canadian.  QVC used to ship to Canada but they stopped about five or more years ago (I think it was longer).  When many other retailers were coming this way, they took a hike.

I bought from QVC.  They have some products not readily available where I live or at better prices.  I buy US$ when the currency rates are favourable as I travel to the US frequently.  In cases where it made sense, I purchased.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I remember when QVC stopped shipping to Canada.  Their Facebook was full of angry Canadians Woman Surprised

Here's an old thread with the email they sent out years ago.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Fashion/I-can-t-believe-what-QVC-did-to-Canadian-customers/td-p/269393

I guess they have decided to tap back into that market.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In order for me to purchase from QVC again should they ever ship to Canada they would have to have something that I couldn't get elsewhere or something that couldn't be replaced by something similar AND the shipping costs and shipping times would have to be reasonable. Maybe people don't remember but back when QVC did ship to Canada they charged twice as much as what Americans paid and it took more than twice as long to go across the border and get in the customer's hands.

I'm going the other way now as I prefer to buy in person at bricks and mortar stores whether in Canada or the U.S. When I visit the U.S. I have in my mind which stores I will visit and what I will be looking for.

I stopped watching TSC on TV in Canada pretty much over the past year. Not only is the selection of clothes very average but my last 2 clothing purchases from them ended up being returned due to poor quality. I now will no longer purchase clothes from them. The items were from brand names but it didn't make any difference. I got a jacket that had a wonky zipper and a top that I think was mis-sized ie. the wrong size label was sewn into the garment. It cost me money as I lose shipping both ways, so no more!

On top of that I am not going to listen to talking head sales people that I find annoying no matter what shopping network they are on. It's that simple now. I have all the shopping channel apps for TSC, QVC, HSN, and Evine and I almost never watch those live feeds on my ipads anymore. If I want to look at makeup I'm going to google whatever item I'm interested in and find a bunch of youtube videoclip beauty reviews of it and then decide for myself and go shopping in person where I can see and test it out for myself.

That's what I do when I visit Las Vegas. It's a short and fairly cheap trip to make for me from Bellingham, Washington and I visit the malls and stores in Las Vegas since everything is so close by on the strip. I love shopping til I drop when I'm there and I plan ahead where I'm going to go and what I want to buy!