Frequent Contributor

QVC's newest cheaper shipping method half UPS/half USPS

During Christmas holidays, my daughter sent my mother a 21 lb box full of Christmas presents. Normally UPS delivered each of our packages to my 90 year old mother's apartment door. But this time, a substitute UPS guy had the manager sign for the packages and left them in the mailroom. My mother's Christmas presents were stolen. When I reported the theft to UPS, I was told by a UPS guy that if a package has the apartment number on the package, the UPS guy is suppose to deliver it to the apartment. Not leave the package in the mailroom. And my mother's regular UPS guy always did that.

A couple of days ago I sent my mom a item from QVC as I have done for years...then I thought about the theft and thought maybe I can call UPS and just make sure this item is going to be delivered to my mom's apartment. I took the tracking number QVC provides me when they confirmed the item has shipped. I clicked on the tracking number and it took me to the UPS website...the form indicating the packages shipping progression allowed me to be informed when the package was delivered and it allowed me to change destination...I did not want to change destination, but I did want to get an assurance they would deliver it to her apartment door. So I sent them an email explaining that I knew QVC was the original shipper, but they were shipping my purchase....I explained the recent theft of a UPS package and ask this item be delivered to my mom's apartment door. The next day I got a response saying We have turned the package over to the Post Office per your request. Odd, because that is not what I requested of them. I was not a happy camper so I called UPS customer service...and I was told that QVC is trying a cheaper way of shipping our items....so it seems our items travel only so far and then they are turned over to local Post Office for delivery....well surprise surprise....so much for making sure these big QVC boxes get delivered to her door. The postman leaves things in the mailroom. When I pursued this....I was told to talk to QVC....I talked to a person in their customer service a few minutes ago...she said yes they are trying this new shipping method. I suggested to her, that perhaps they should have shared that information with their customers and if it was cheaper for them, does that mean it will be cheaper for US? QVC does not provide an option that we request a signature from the person who receives the package...so I have had to depend on UPS' delivery to the door...but now UPS doesn't even make the final delivery...now my mom lives in a small town in Kansas...so perhaps it is only for these type locations, although the QVC customer service did not make that distinction. I do not like the idea that I am lead to believe that UPS has my package from beginning to end. Why not just tell your customers so we can decide on a shipping option rather than making that choice for us QVC?