Honored Contributor

Re: QVC's holiday selections

And another thing...I used to have QVC on all the time as "background" because it was fun to listen to and, if something drew my attention, to watch.  Kathy Levine was entertaining, esp. when on with Joan Rivers but really all the time.  There were some interesting vendors, almost all gone now.  The only live QVC I watch are the LOGO shows because I have to or everything is sold out later.  The few things I do buy from QVC I buy from looking at the product reviews online and then watching the videos.

I can't bear to watch/listen to almost all of the current hosts.  We are just of different generations and I'm not in tune with them at alll. QVC has pretty much lost whatever dignity it used to have, when it was much more a class act.    Riiiiiight? (as one of the hosts I dislike watching would say).

So, if I'm not watching QVC, I'm not buying, let alone impulse buying.  I own so many things that I like that I bought over the years, but I would never have bought had I not been watching the Q and seen the presentation and then felt as if I just had to have it.  If I'm not watching it, I don't even have the idea to buy whatever it is they are selling.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I am interested in an item other than a house brand, I always check Amazon or Drugstore first before purchasing on QVC. Sometimes I buy elsewhere. What Q does best is offer exclusive features or bonuses such as added brushes to makeup products that make the shipping charges and the wait worth it. They no longer offer the bounty of unique items so they have to provide an exclusive color/features or easy pay. The recent TSV massager is a good example. Macy's had the same basic unit on sale for about the same price with no shipping. But Macy's version did not have the extra protective flap or the Velcro strap to keep it in place on the back of a chair. I purchased it and returned it because I couldn't keep it in place (and the darn thing was painful to use). 

This said, the programming is repetitive and predictable. I make a quick check once in a while, but basically do not watch or buy much in November and December. 

Eta: An exclusive color has never tempted me to buy but I have used easy pay. I am careful with that because it can be dangerous to my budget to have the mindset that I am only spending $10 a month. Those $10 can add up quickly and trap the buyer for months.

Honored Contributor

If I never see another RFID wallet presentation, and hear another host horror story it will be

too soon !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@SunValley  I totally understand about the perks Q offers on an item. I usualy say i buy Philosophy elsewhere unless there's a good deal on a kit at QVC which makes it more attractive.

However, this "we don't return the S&H charges any more on returns unless defective" has made me cut down even more.  The perks Q offers have to be pretty darn attractive to me - otherwise they just aren't worth it.   I don't need a D&B keychain for example, if I can find the same bag for less - or even for the same retail price but without the high S&H  Q charges on a Dooney bag which won't be refunded if I return the bag for some reason.  Similarly, if I won't use everything in a kit, I'll pass and just buy the items individually with a percentage off sale at Philosophy for example.  I've gotten great deals from the Bareminerals site too - they put together good kits and have sales often.  I always get their products at 20% off at least, with free S&H from the website (I order enough to qualify for that).  

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee I agree that the "perks" have to worth it to buy at QVC if another site has a better price or free shipping on the item I am interested in. I won't buy for a color exclusive or for 3 extra beauty items I wouldn't use. For others this approach may be appealing. I think beauty items are one of the stronger lines for the Q. The unrefunded shipping has slowed down my shopping and definitely affected my willingness to try new products. I learned my lesson spending $10 to try on a top. And to get back to the OP's observation, boring programming not only has me watching less but I don't look online much either because Q's search feature is so picky it doesn't bring up items unless you are very careful with spelling and wording.

Honored Contributor

I thought the TSV's leading up to Christmas were terrible this year. Some years, I would buy about 10 TSV's between Halloween and Christmas.
Respected Contributor

Clearly they only want to offer what sells.  The other day Joe snow thing was the TSV.  It was offered all day and has subsequently been offered all day.  I purchased one, but I am tired of seeing it adnausium.

Respected Contributor

Decorating shows and Posh even were all boring.  This is when I miss Lisa R.

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

It looked just like last year to me.

ITA......I look at "items recently shown" on the computer usually once a day. Majority of items looked like last year, etc.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb oh boy you are not kidding and I stopped tuning in.  I look at the program guide and see blah blah blah "gift" show for an entire day and I can't be bothered.  If I see on that same program guide the name of a product I might be interested in, then I might watch, otherwise, I look at new arrivals to see if there might possibly be something NEW.  I don't even check the recently on air items these days and won't until after the holiday nonsense is over.

I've got a pile of gifts for my family and only 1 item was bought on QVC because I couldn't find the same thing elsewhere.