Respected Contributor

Re: QVC's Target Demographic

Is it people who can afford it or people who can fit the purchase on their credit card? Big difference
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/15/2014 scatcat said: Is it people who can afford it or people who can fit the purchase on their credit card? Big difference

They will take either. That is what easy pay is all about.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

On 8/15/2014 stevieb said:

I honestly no longer have any idea. It seems that in recent years they've become the ultimate multiple personality, trying so hard to appeal to so many different niches that they are essentially not really appealing to any of them all that much.

I agree. I do think a lot of their items are for the older/elderly (I can say it--I'm in this group) and for those that cannot shop elsewhere. Those that do not do other online shopping (not computer savvy) or due to health reasons cannot shop the malls. Now with some of the younger hosts, I think they are trying to reel in the career ladies and also with some of the fashions like Belle Grey, LG, etc. Also, trying to appeal to "busy working Moms" with all the food fest shows , other "convenience" items, etc.

Valued Contributor

I don't know many little old ladies who buy many clothes and shut in's would be a very small market. I would say working mom's are the main shoppers on QVC. They don't have the time to go to the malls if they are busy mom's or working mom's and shop online so they don't have to go out shopping.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who would hang onto all that talk about "monied", Madison Avenue, and The Hamptons, is not upper class. That's the stuff the wannabes will listen to.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 8/15/2014 brewhaha said:

That would be the demographic that can afford the S&H charges and measley discounts.

Honored Contributor

On 8/15/2014 kachina624 said: Anyone who would hang onto all that talk about "monied", Madison Avenue, and The Hamptons, is not upper class. That's the stuff the wannabes will listen to.

I confirm that

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

QVC is a very large retailer and I don't think they go after one demographic. There are also different demographics - age, income, regional, education level, gender, etc. Think about the demographics of the hosts.

There is a wide variety of products, just with clothes. Quacker Factory and D& Co. are designed to fit mid-larger size and probably mid-older women. G.I.L.I is trying to attract younger, thinner women who buy into the "elegance" of Lisa Robertson. the higher price range adds to the elegance factor.

Why are the TSVs always electronic or appliances on the weekends? More men are home to confrim the purchase.

Agree that talk of the Hamptons and money are targeted at people that don't go to the Hamptons or shop in designer stores.

The explosion of easy pay the past couple of years is targeting people who maybe can't pay up front for the items. The payments can pile up fast, especially for those that carry a balance on their credit cards. This reminds me of the theory that lotteries are a tax on people that can't do math.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/15/2014 brewhaha said:

That would be the demographic that can afford the S&H charges and measley discounts.

and she hits it on the nose once again! Hilarious.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

On 8/16/2014 pas4116 said:

QVC is a very large retailer and I don't think they go after one demographic. There are also different demographics - age, income, regional, education level, gender, etc. Think about the demographics of the hosts.

There is a wide variety of products, just with clothes. Quacker Factory and D& Co. are designed to fit mid-larger size and probably mid-older women. G.I.L.I is trying to attract younger, thinner women who buy into the "elegance" of Lisa Robertson. the higher price range adds to the elegance factor.

Why are the TSVs always electronic or appliances on the weekends? More men are home to confrim the purchase.

Agree that talk of the Hamptons and money are targeted at people that don't go to the Hamptons or shop in designer stores.

The explosion of easy pay the past couple of years is targeting people who maybe can't pay up front for the items. The payments can pile up fast, especially for those that carry a balance on their credit cards. This reminds me of the theory that lotteries are a tax on people that can't do math.

I totally agree. Very logical response. I also have to add, that years ago Suze Orman used to take calls from viewers when she was on the air, and she got call after call after call from older women on fixed incomes who had racked up tons of debt on their credit cards - in part from shopping on QVC. Sometimes the callers would start crying. It was awkward, to say the least. After a year or two, they stopped taking the calls and Suze became a straight-forward vendor.