Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC owner Liberty Interactive buys HSN for $2.1 billion

What next LOGO layers on the List?  #colleenlopezlogofied

Esteemed Contributor

LIBERTY bought HSN!

Liberty is the PARENT company, and LIBERTY OWNS QVC, and now LIBERTY OWNS HSN.

QVC did NOT buy HSN.

This is NOT a merger.

Valued Contributor

Boo to this!

I no longer do any shopping at QVC. They offer no deals, same old tired overpriced merchandise and don't listen to the customers.

I have been doing my shopping at HSN now for the last year. Every week it seems I get a coupon code, free shipping, %off something, deals galore.

I recently bought many of the items in the Thymes line and love all of them. got great clearance prices and half price on some items because they had a one day flash sale,

today I got an email to download the HSN app and get a $10 off code for a purchase over $20. I was going to buy something from Dennis Simione today anyway, the Dhatele seed oil cream for $20, so I downloaded the app and paid $10 for it with free shipping.

Honestly, that's the way to earn my business. I hope they continue to do this otherwise it will just become like QVC. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, there are a lot of threads debating whether this is a merger or not. Call it what you want but this deal means cost cutting and layoffs at both companies -- QVC and HSN.

Read the Washington Post article with quotes from the QVC CEO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/07/06/qvc-to-merge-with-rival-home-shopping-net...

Honored Contributor

Merger or acquisition, it doesn't matter.  The first order of business is to see what you have, see where there is duplication or overlap and cut.

Most companies stay separate for a period of time and slowly merge pieces at a time.

My company is in year 3 of a merger.  Next year (year 4) we will merge financials.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

If they are truly attempting to compete with Amazon, this new QVC Group will need to develop a great "loyalty program."   None of this $5 off for new customers opening a QCard business.  Perhaps something similar to Amazon Prime, or purchasing points for discounts. 

There are fewer & fewer people watching cable TV these days.  They've unplugged regular TV and get their TV content from tablets and smartphones.  Those consumers have their eyes online nearly 24/7, and yes, they have money to spend.  A lot of my family and friends shop online regularly (many different online sites) because it's so natural for them since they're online already.  But ever watch TV for shopping?  Go to stores for shopping?  Those numbers are dwindling fast. 

The focus will undoubtedly be further directed to social media sites and Apps.  

Regular Contributor

This reply is in answer to many of the negative comments about QVC buying HSN. I did not know this but QVC parent company already owned 38% of HSN. I have been a QVC customer since 1993 and only ordered once or twice from HSN. To me HSN was the budget/lower quality version of QVC. Look at the sets, the presentations, the merchandise(jewelry especially) - all superior at QVC in my opinion(having worked in retail jewelry) but i knew there would be this reaction. Love QVC hosts better. To each his own.......

Honored Contributor

This is a total take it for what it's worth post. 

I was on FB yesterday and am friends with a former HSN host who then went to TSC in Canada and now operates a home based business.  She posted the article about this with the comment that this has been a long time coming and get ready for changes.

Someone asked what she thought this would mean and she said if she were a betting woman, she would bet on changes happening, whatever that may be or look like.  It's inevitable and part of the corporate world.   

Contributor

Totally agree Lila4now. Since QVC is the buyer I think they will make HSN more like them. The last straw for me with QVC was making us pay shipping both ways if you do a return. This is so unfair especially in clothing and footwear as their sizes are not consistant at all.  You are correct lack of competition is never a good thing. 

Respected Contributor

I think QVC is more upscale.  From what I read they will continue to be separate entities.