Super Contributor

Re: QVC owner Liberty Interactive buys HSN for $2.1 billion

@Mominohio wrote:

Interesting!

I don't care for HSN or Evine much, as I find their choices limited and products rather inferior. 

If this upped the game that would be great, but I think it might actually reduce the competition that did exist and bring up all prices (and shipping ugh!).

I see no competition here; unless their buying power will be far greater, giving us customers better deals.. I've only bought hangers, Origami & M Asam face cream from HSN.. I too am not a big fan of hsn.. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's not good news at all. A monopoly on tv shopping means job cuts and layoffs as they try and leverage corporate synergies. It's not good news for vendors either.

The beneficeries are the HSN stockholders as their stock went up nearly 30% this morning.

Respected Contributor

@Susan-QVC wrote:
This post has been removed by QVC political

The CNBC interview with QVC and HSN CEO Mike George, financial, not political in nature, is available on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift in vendors now.  In May, HSN parted ways with long time jewelry designer Victoria Wieck.  I'll keep an eye out for any big, clearance sales in all brands.

This brings to mind the HSN Bellezza jewelry vendor (Paul something), trying sell his jewelry recently by saying derogatory things about QVC.  Wonder how long he'll last. 

Trusted Contributor

I do think Victoria W is going to be at JTV. I think of course they will keep the NFL shop, Heidi Daus, Diane Gilman and IMO i think Joy will crossover to both networks.
Esteemed Contributor

I do wonder how the merger will affect the vendor product mix in relation to what vendors will be willing to stay or even sell in Canada anymore? Canada is a small market compared to the U.S., The Shopping Channel's sales were about $105 million CDN which is a lot less than even Evine which sells over 600 million U.S. 

Respected Contributor

USA Today

HSN celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, while QVC is celebrating its 30th year in operation. 

QVC is celebrating its 31st year in operation. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift in vendors now.  In May, HSN parted ways with long time jewelry designer Victoria Wieck.  I'll keep an eye out for any big, clearance sales in all brands.

This brings to mind the HSN Bellezza jewelry vendor (Paul something), trying sell his jewelry recently by saying derogatory things about QVC.  Wonder how long he'll last. 

That Paul Woods vendor has to be one of the most annoying vendors. He replaced excellent vendor reps selling cz jewelry in Canada and his obnoxious name dropping spiel and showing off his expensive watch did not impress Canadians. I think he lasted less than a year. Let HSN have him! 

Honored Contributor

There is nothing QVC and HSN sell that I can't find of equal quality elsewhere so I'm not too concerned.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

That Paul Woods vendor has to be one of the most annoying vendors. He replaced excellent vendor reps selling cz jewelry in Canada and his obnoxious name dropping spiel and showing off his expensive watch did not impress Canadians. I think he lasted less than a year. Let HSN have him! 

I've never cared for him at all.  He has always come across as extremely smarmy.

However, his comments certainly weren't the first and probably won't be the last "derogatory" comments made by vendors or hosts about another channel's products.  In the past I remember QVC hosts telling viewers to cancel orders for items HSN had sold the day before because the Q deal was better.

Several months back ShopLC was really going on about a ring Colleen Lopez had been selling just an hour or so earlier for more than SLC was selling the identical ring for.