Valued Contributor

Re: QVC owner Liberty Interactive buys HSN for $2.1 billion

Supposedly QVC and HSN are going to remain stand-alone channels. They're using the "synergy" argument that they should be able to cut overhead costs significantly (e.g., only need 1 department each for accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.). Hopefully they will pick the best from each.

When this transaction closes later this year, Liberty will spin off into a separate company QVC Group, which will include HSN and online retailer zulily, which Liberty acquired two years ago. When the company becomes a separate trading stock, "from a customer it doesn't much matter," George said, "but investors get excited about (it) because they have much more confidence investing."

Of course this presumes the FTC okays the merger based on competitive balance. Although there are limited shopping channels (Evine, Jewelry TV, and Liquidation channel), their real competition is from Amazon, eBay, etc.

Honored Contributor

Adam just ended his Friday Night Show and they toasted to HSN's 40th birthday and "new beginning in more ways than one."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure why this is so misinterpreted.... Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding is that the company that OWNS QVC (i.e. management company) has completed the purchase of HSN.  Not sure where everyone seems to have interpreted this as QVC BUYING HSN.  Both companies are now owned by the same company.  People running with the idea of HSN moving to QVC and speculating on hosts moving is a little much and/or a little early.  Both companies can run separately.  Maybe I'm crazy.  Don't know.

Esteemed Contributor

@doysy wrote:

I am not sure why this is so misinterpreted.... Maybe I'm wrong but my understanding is that the company that OWNS QVC (i.e. management company) has completed the purchase of HSN.  Not sure where everyone seems to have interpreted this as QVC BUYING HSN.  Both companies are now owned by the same company.  People running with the idea of HSN moving to QVC and speculating on hosts moving is a little much and/or a little early.  Both companies can run separately.  Maybe I'm crazy.  Don't know.

YOu are perfectly correct.  All these postings about QVC "buying" HSN are flat out wrong.  LIberty Media, The PARENT company of QVC already owned about 1/3rd of the stock shares of HSN.  Now they will own 100% of the HSN shares just,like they own 100% of QVC shares.  WHat changes will be made if any are pure speculation.

Occasional Contributor

Like others stated, this is NOT good news.  HSN has better prices and more free shipping. Unlike what the news media says, this is not to compete with Amazon, its just QVC getting rid of their main competition for TV, creating a monopoly on the tv market.

Occasional Contributor

It doesn't matter, if that company owns QVC and buys HSN, that IS the same thing as QVC buying HSN.  All the news media has stated it is QVC buying HSN.

Occasional Contributor

Just do a Bing news search.  EVERY single article states this is a merger, of QVC buying HSN.  Lot of other people here seem to be the misinformed ones.