Respected Contributor

QVC owner Liberty Interactive buys HSN for $2.1 billion

[ Edited ]

Wall Street Journal, Hollywood Reporter and Variety report that Liberty Interactive, which currently owns 38% of stock in HSN, is buying up the remaining 62% for $2.1 billion.

"HSN founded the industry 40 years ago and helped it grow with exciting initiatives like Shop By Remote and media integrations with leading content producers," said Mike George, QVC president and CEO. "By creating the leader in discovery-based shopping, we will enhance the customer experience, accelerate innovation, leverage our resources and talents to further strengthen our brands, and redeploy savings for innovation and growth. As the prominent global video commerce retailer and North America's third largest mobile and eCommerce retailer, the combined company will be well-positioned to help shape the next generation of retailing."

Respected Contributor

Re: QVC owner Liberty Interactive buys HSN for $2.1 billion

Oh, no! I love shopping HSN for their good sales, clearances, and coupons.  I hope that QVC doesn't turn HSN into QVC (no coupons, high prices even for clerances).

New Contributor

Interesting.  I wonder if the content and hosts will change now that QVC bought HSN...

Contributor

Not good news!  HSN has by far the better deals.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never watched HSN but I know people that do, when they hear this they are not going to be happy!

It will sure be interesting to see if QVC will make changes.

Honored Contributor

Interesting!

I don't care for HSN or Evine much, as I find their choices limited and products rather inferior. 

If this upped the game that would be great, but I think it might actually reduce the competition that did exist and bring up all prices (and shipping ugh!).

Trusted Contributor

That's not good news. I love HSN's sales and clearance events, along with free shipping and coupon codes. I hope they don't change. If they do, my shopping will also Woman Sad 

I think the Q wants to monopolize "TV" and online shopping to compete with Amazon ...

Honored Contributor

I was just about to post this myself, my son just sent it to me!!

Respected Contributor

Horrible news.  Now the Q can ruin another shopping channel.  HSN is so much better than the Q now.  The Q used to have wonderful quality and unique items.  Now it's more of a who cares.  Rarely watch or order.  Thank goodness for Amazon

Trusted Contributor

That's not good news, QVC will drag them down to their level of poor service, high prices, and brutal shipping charges.  I see myself shopping more and more on other sites.  I don't see how lack of competition could ever be a good thing.  Sounds more like they want to be a controlling monopoly.