Occasional Contributor

I thought QVC went off the air at midnight, Christmas Eve, and did air again until midnight Christmas night.  I know my memory plays tricks on me at times, but does anyone else remember this happening?  I was surprised to see QVC on yesterday as I was working the remote control for about the 100th time, searching for something to look at on my new TV that I swore I was not going to buy because TV is so rotten these days.  

Back to my original question, will someone please tell me they also remember QVC going of the air at the period of time I mentioned.

PS:  MERRY CHRISTMAS 

Esteemed Contributor

QVC has always gone off at 4 pm Christmas Eve and on at 8am the day after Christmas, for as long as I can remember.  This year they played prerecorded presentations, apparently.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was reruns because Susan Graver was on with two different hosts in a relatively short time.  I could be wrong though.

Honored Contributor

@seniorcrocheterI think we're seeing the "new normal."  QVC used to use their recorded Christmas programming differently, but now that there are hundreds of thousands of websites they're competing with, they're using their recorded Christmas Day to try to sell along with the rest of the Internet.

If I understand correctly what is happening in the retail world, it's not going to be more than a very few years until the malls are open on Christmas Day, too. 

I think we will all have to choose how we personally want to spend our holidays, but I can tell you that yesterday here in southern Florida, if the whole big mall near me had been open, I think they would have been packed just like the beach was and the movie theater and the few restaurants that were open.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirlsI think your times are more accurate than OP's, but the effect was more or less the same - no live QVC on Christmas Day whether it was how they did it in the past or how they did it yesterday.

BTW-  I had no question in my mind that everything was prerecorded -  no phone calls and one time when a surfed in the picture and sound were not matched!  Definitely recorded.

Nothing much to watch anywhere.  I played some Christmas discs on my Bose and read a very unChristmas book during the hours I was home.

Trusted Contributor

They always have gone off the air at 4 and stayed off till 8 am the day after Christmas. But they used to have nice programming in the interim---cooking with the hosts and their children, showing us around their homes, playing music. But this time they chose to fill up the space with reruns of sales presentations. What a turn off. I would try clicking on to see if they had any of the nice presentations of old, then immediately clicked off when I saw it was just the rehash of same old products--reruns even. I think the Q needs a CEO who is interested in pleasing their customers instead of the almightly dollar. And today we will have many hours of the TSV boot.  Over and over and over, EVERY hour. Boring!

Valued Contributor

LOL, I did more Q checks when home yesterday than all yr. long.

If nothing else, I knew I wouldn't being seeing a TSV being presented over & over.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday's clips had "previously recorded" in the upper left hand corner.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I flipped it on maybe 3 times and each time it was in the kitchen with David and he was eating ribs or that string pulling chopper gadget. Really pathetic.

Respected Contributor

I think the Q finally figured out that so few watch during this time they didn't bother with special programming.  I honestly never turn on the tv much during the day, and especially not on Christmas day.