Esteemed Contributor

Before QVC I bought jewelry at expensive stores and not much of it. I have sensitive skin and don't wear costume jewelry well. The lower prices helped me to switch to sterling silver and white gold -- something I'd been wanting to do. I have some nice pieces even though I buy much less now. I enjoyed Lisa, who left a couple of years ago. Kathy Levine left right after I started watching. I remember the holiday shows. Seems like it was light hearted and casual among the hosts back then.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor
I miss the time when we were NOT striving to fit in on Madison Avenue - do you know what I mean? We wanted a nice jacket, or a lovely piece of Diamonique, or a handcrafted Fenton vase or Nesco cooker. We enjoyed this new world of television shopping with hosts who were learning the ropes along with us. Today it's all hard sell - there doesn't seem any room for common humanity. I miss those days.
Respected Contributor

I miss Kathy Levine as well as Jeff H, both the Steves, Bryant and Collantuna,sp, Marty and his diamonique stories late night and yes that game they had. So right, were still learning the ropes and not so hard sell, more like watching friends with funny moments and mistakes.

I rarely watch live anymore.

Respected Contributor
I miss the glory days of the Q also. It's spiraled downhill ever since Kathy walked off the set at her farewell show. Sad what it's become.
Occasional Contributor

Oh my gosh = it is great to read about your memories. I thought that I was the only one missing the early days at QVC.

Honored Contributor
On 1/26/2014 Retired08 said:

I miss the old QVC. I don't even watch anymore. Too much has changed, and not for the better to me.

ITA! Back then no one yelled at you when they presented a product! They were calm and personable and seemed very genuine.....now I don't watch because of all the nonsense. Too manic for me in many cases.

Honored Contributor

No high pressure to buy in the old days. The hosts were calm, informative and fun to watch. They acted professional. Now I watch if I'm bored, but don't order nearly as much. QVC no longer has that many items that you can't buy locally or on another website. I really dislike the way the hosts act now--hard sell, shouting, dancing and the kissing of vendors is way too much. The kissing or "air kissing" is very unprofessional and instead of it going away, they are doing it more and more.

Super Contributor

I also have some great memories of the "old" QVC. Seemed like the hosts were much calmer back then. I could be wrong though and just thinking that.

One thing I DO remember years back is when one of the models slapped another one on air and no it wasn't in a playful way. The model who did the slapping was fired and if I'm not mistaken, the other model is still on the Q. Does anyone else remember that. Can't remember the models name who was slapped.

VickiSmile

Honored Contributor
On 2/4/2014 sashamatthews said: I miss the time when we were NOT striving to fit in on Madison Avenue - do you know what I mean? We wanted a nice jacket, or a lovely piece of Diamonique, or a handcrafted Fenton vase or Nesco cooker. We enjoyed this new world of television shopping with hosts who were learning the ropes along with us. Today it's all hard sell - there doesn't seem any room for common humanity. I miss those days.
I completely agree with you. i never had a piece of designer clothing in my life except my wedding dress , but now QVC thinks that these so called designers (most of whom we have never heard of before QVC) are all they have. I don't need or want to pay for someones name on a label. I want nice things that are decent quality at a reasonable price. I really miss the old days when they would offer items liek the nesco roasters - things we didn't see at our local stores. I bought a T fal deep fryer about 25 years ago and we still have it and use it all the time. Itseems the stuff they offer now is pretty much the same as Walmart level junk.
Super Contributor

Back in the "old days" of QVC, the hosts had to know the product inside and out. They didn't have the vendors on all the time. Occasionally there would be one but for the most part it was the host selling the product.