Honored Contributor

Re: QVC laying off 2,000 employees

I'd say QVC has been more than generous in this incident.  Nobody has mentioned the huge charge back to their Federal Unemployment Tax Account for the claims that will be filed, which will cost the company big bucks. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

As a result of the fire last month, QVC is laying off 2,000 employees in North Carolina by mid 2022. No word about where they might locate another facility.

At least they will get unemployment that will help some.  Maybe Q will give them some type of financial package.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd say QVC has been more than generous in this incident.  Nobody has mentioned the huge charge back to their Federal Unemployment Tax Account for the claims that will be filed, which will cost the company big bucks. 

Sorry Kachina, that's not generous. That's the right of the employees by law to collect unemployment. QVC has insurance to cover this. 

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sorry Kachina, that's not generous. That's the right of the employees by law to collect unemployment. QVC has insurance to cover this. 

@ellaphant  You're right about unemployment it is the workers right. I worked in NJ most of my working years and we are one of the states who take unemployment out of your paycheck.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

yes, it does @Kachina624 as an employer, when an employee files for unemployment it costs us A LOT of money. our FUTA payments increased astronomically during covid. i cannot even imagine what it will cost a huge company like QVC.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Spoiler

@proudlyfromNJ   @ellaphant    I know nothing about the situation in NJ but in most states, the charge back for UI comes out of the employers pocket.  If what you say is true, y'all are getting sc*rewed.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
Spoiler

@proudlyfromNJ   @ellaphant    I know nothing about the situation in NJ but in most states, the charge back for UI comes out of the employers pocket.  If what you say is true, y'all are getting sc*rewed.

@Kachina624  They only take out a certain amount. When that amount is hit they stop taking it out. When you get your unemployment checks most of the money does come from employer. I have a worked for a number of companies that have gone out of business so have collected a number of times. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant    @proudlyfromNJ   Unless you were working under special circumstances, such as a contractor, it appears you are mistaken.  This is a publication issued by NJ State Government.  Many people confuse the SS payroll deduction with the FUTA tax.

https://nj.gov/labor/handbook/chap1/chap1sec3ContributionLiability.html

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I haven't worked in over ten years. Unemployment came out of my paycheck every week for a certain amount of weeks and was labeled as unemployment on the check stub. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ    Okay, maybe they've changed it.